PDA

View Full Version : Question about drilling wrought iron

Joe McMahon
08-21-2010, 5:29 PM
I have two coat hooks which were made for me buy a blacksmith, I presume that they are wrought iron. They each have one screw hole in them. As I now look at them, it is obvious that eventually the screws will work themselves loose and the hooks will swing back & forth with use, using the screws as the apex of a pendulum, scratching the base. I would like to add a second screw to secure them in two places.

Can I drill wrought iron? Any "tips" or anything I should know or just drill away?

TIA, Joe

george wilson
08-21-2010, 7:17 PM
It is doubtful that they are real wrought iron. More likely mild steel. In either case,just center punch where you want to drill the hole. Do not run the drill too fast,and use some kind of oil. I presume you have no proper cutting oil on hand. If the drill is sharp and seems to cut o.k.,you probably don't need to bother with the oil,anyway for 1 hole. If the blacksmith has used junk yard steel( called mystery metal by machinists),and its composition is unknown,there can be very hard areas where any welding took place. An attempt to drill such an area will ruin your drill's point if you persist.

What you can do if the drill won't cut the metal,is get a 3/16" masonry bit. Run it as fast as the drill press will go. The carbide point of the bit will heat up the metal till it is softened,and drill it right out.

The pitfall of using a masonry bit is that the brazing in the carbide bit will melt,and the tip will fall off. Try to be careful to not let the bit get too hot.

Joe McMahon
08-21-2010, 8:20 PM
George, thanks for the information!