PDA

View Full Version : ARRRRGH HELP! Boeshield on my project!

Brian Hale
12-11-2004, 1:10 PM
I splashed some Boeshield T9 on my birch plywood cabinet. :eek: It's been sanded and ready for finishing.

I blotted up what i could and used mineral spirits to clean it but it's still there. Then i tried lacquer thinner and that did better but didn't get it all.

What should i try next???

Brian

Jay Knoll
12-11-2004, 6:12 PM
If you have a scrap piece of plywood, I'd try duplicating the mistake/ cleanup steps until you're at the point that you are with your finished piece.

Then I'd try some acetone to see if it will cut the Boshield, don't do it inside, especially if you have gas heat/water heater. The fumes are tough. Use nitrile (sp?) gloves and a respriator if you're going to be working in a closed environment.

Good luck

Jay

Ted Shrader
12-11-2004, 8:05 PM
Brian -

I like Jay's idea of a mock-up spill. Have you tried denatured alcohol yet? Sand it again and see how it looks. What finish will you put on it? Try it on the mack-up and see the effect.

Ted

Brian Hale
12-11-2004, 10:42 PM
I think i got all off. I'm always scared to sand plywood too much so i rubbed the heck out of it with mineral spirits and tons of paper shop towels till i didn't see the run outlines. The finish is still up in the air, either blo and poly or cherry gel stain and poly, waiting for the customer to decide.

Thanks guys!
Brian

Steve Cox
12-12-2004, 1:13 AM
Just a reminder to read MSDS sheets for a product. Jay, nitrile gloves will not protect against acetone. You need neoprene.

Norman Hitt
12-12-2004, 1:58 AM
Brian, if you try the scrap test like already mentioned, you might then want to make two identical test pieces and put your finish on one and see how it comes out, and then seal the other one with shellac first, then apply the finish and see if it comes out better. I would think that the shellac would seal it in, if there is some of the T-9 still deeper in the wood that might bleed into the finish.

Alan Turner
12-12-2004, 6:10 AM
My initial thought on a finish would be a light coat of BLO, fully dried, followed by a thin coat of shellac to see if the adhesioin will work, on scrap of course. I am thinking BLO so that the color is even in terms of a penetrating finish. Good luck.
Alan