PDA

View Full Version : I'm a gonner

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 9:58 AM
I was walking through some tall brambles and felt a sting on my shin. I thought it was a bee sting. I found the little bast, er, devil.... See below. It's a Saddleback caterpillar. It hurts lit a son of a gun... My leg is throbbing and my left foot is dragging on the ground. Can't find my toenails.

If I don't make it.... Keith gets the smaller yacht, Matt gets my 25" double drum sander and Belinda gets my Dave Barry collection.

Dang this hurts. DANG!

Wiki says:

They can cause swelling, nausea, and leave a rash that can last for days. Individuals with sensitive skin are cautioned against coming into contact with them as the reaction can be more severe than the typical reaction.

Is the room getting dark.......? goodby.

Joe Pelonio
08-21-2010, 10:09 AM
You made me look it up, that doesn't look real, but apparently is. They say the most colorful creatures are the most dangerous. Glad they are native to the Eastern states!

Hope you manage to pull through, Keith doesn't need another yacht.

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 10:11 AM
You made me look it up, that doesn't look real, but apparently is. They say the most colorful creatures are the most dangerous. Glad they are native to the Eastern states!

Hope you manage to pull through, Keith doesn't need another yacht.

Joe gets my laser.

Matt Meiser
08-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Mitchell must be the sensitive type.

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Mitchell must be the sensitive type.

Just for that.... you get my broom and dust pan.

Greg Peterson
08-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Seems like ever since you moved from New Jersey you've had problems.

Goats and jeans, problem solved.

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Seems like ever since you moved from New Jersey you've had problems.

Goats and jeans, problem solved.

Greg gets Abigale and Flossy.

Bruce Page
08-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Cute little feller, you’d think he’d have better taste.

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Cute little feller, you’d think he’d have better taste.

I'm writing you out of my will entirely.

Harold Burrell
08-21-2010, 1:07 PM
Mitch,

I am so very saddened to read of your plight. I am indeed weeping at this very moment. I have decided to enter into a season of fasting and prayer until I receive word that you are going to pull thru. No matter how long it takes.

Your faithful friend,
Harold

BTW: If by chance you don't make it, could I have your truck...and maybe some large and expensive powertools??? You know...just to remember you by...

Kent A Bathurst
08-21-2010, 1:42 PM
Goats love to eat 'em.

Yankees in the South have been an endangered species for quite a while.

Shake it off, and get back in the game.

Kent

BTW - Harold - way to suck up, Dude. You must be going for his entire shop.:D

ray hampton
08-21-2010, 1:56 PM
you are lucky, did you know that some caterpillars body contains cyanide ?

Dennis Peacock
08-21-2010, 2:04 PM
Greg gets Abigale and Flossy.

Dad-nabit....I wanted Flossy.!!! Shucks. :(

Joe Chritz
08-21-2010, 2:21 PM
Rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

Joe

Paul Ryan
08-21-2010, 2:27 PM
As my old man used to say. Rub some dirt in it and get back in the game.

Harold Burrell
08-21-2010, 2:56 PM
BTW - Harold - way to suck up, Dude. You must be going for his entire shop.:D

Oh, oh...

I was hoping not to make it obvious.

David G Baker
08-21-2010, 3:06 PM
Goodbye Mitchell, it has been very entertaining knowing you.

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 3:10 PM
BTW: If by chance you don't make it, could I have your truck...and maybe some large and expensive powertools??? You know...just to remember you by...

My Unisaw has a plaque with my name on it.... Great White Edition. When the end comes, it's your's buddy.

Brown nose

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 3:12 PM
Rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

Joe

When I was a kid.... mud on a bee sting. How quaint.

Haven't heard anything so stupid in decades. Joe gets my stash of Band-Aids.

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 3:13 PM
As my old man used to say. Rub some dirt in it and get back in the game.

It's already dirty. Minus 10 points, Paul.

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 3:18 PM
you are lucky, did you know that some caterpillars body contains cyanide ?

Jeeez, Ray. Cyanide? Why don't you dig the grave too, what's the rush? Cyanide - really???

Ray's getting a bent screwdriver. Too bad, I had you down for the prizes either behind curtain #1 or inside the box Jay's bringing down the aisle.

For the youngsters... a Let's Make A Deal reference.

Harold Burrell
08-21-2010, 3:19 PM
My Unisaw has a plaque with my name on it.... Great White Edition. When the end comes, it's your's buddy.

Dude...I don't know what to say...*sniff*

I am wondering, though...how are we supposed to know if you do indeed "kick the bucket"? I'm thinking that if your postings stop for, say, 4 hours or so...I should be mapquesting your house.

On second thought...maybe I should come now. I might need help loading the saw.

Thanks again. See ya shortly.

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 3:20 PM
Goodbye Mitchell, it has been very entertaining knowing you.

i think I'll miss you most of all. You're down for as many power tools as you can carry in two - no, three arm loads.

The lights are getting dimmer.......

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 3:23 PM
On second thought...maybe I should come now. I might need help loading the saw.

Hey!!! Didn't I say my leg was falling off??????

.....Better bring a friend.

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 3:28 PM
It's been nice knowing you all. It won't be long now. There's nothing like an encounter with one of nature's more deadly villains to put everything in perfect perspective (sorry - didn't mean to spit on you).

As I lay here thinking I only have one..... Hey.

My leg isn't hurting anymore. The splotches have cleared up and my tongue isn't purple. Come to think of it, it never did turn purple.

HEY everybody - I think I'm gonna be OK after all.

Wow. Isn't that good news????

Harold Burrell
08-21-2010, 3:32 PM
It's been nice knowing you all. It won't be long now. There's nothing like an encounter with one of nature's more deadly villains to put everything in perfect perspective (sorry - didn't mean to spit on you).

As I lay here thinking I only have one..... Hey.

My leg isn't hurting anymore. The splotches have cleared up and my tongue isn't purple. Come to think of it, it never did turn purple.

HEY everybody - I think I'm gonna be OK after all.

That IS good news!

For one, I can eat now. The fast is officially over.

And secondly, you can help me load the saw now...right?

Michael Weber
08-21-2010, 3:42 PM
Once again, just too late.

Bruce Page
08-21-2010, 3:48 PM
I'm writing you out of my will entirely.

Geez, that's what I get for being honest? I thought I’d at least get a prize for not being a suck up. :rolleyes:

Mike Langford
08-21-2010, 7:46 PM
....HEY everybody - I think I'm gonna be OK after all.

>>>crickets<<<

Joe Pelonio
08-21-2010, 8:06 PM
Glad you are feeling so much better, now you will be up to spending time at the lawyer's updating your will with all these promises.

Jon Lanier
08-21-2010, 8:34 PM
Mitch,

If you are going to treat yourself. Get some (don't laugh or roll your eyes) Preparation H. Preferably a NEW tube.

It takes away the itch/sting and takes down swelling. We keep a tube (marked for stings only) in our Med Kit.

Greg Peterson
08-21-2010, 10:20 PM
It is simply a (short) matter of time until you experience another "Big one" Mitchell. Problems find you like moths find a light bulb.

Hopefully we can all be there when your next misdeed occurs so that we may guide you to the light.

And just to be clear, I've got dibs on his DC system. Ducts, gates, connectors, Y's, DC unit. If it sucks or enables sucking, it's mine.

You guys can fight over the rest of his shop.

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Glad you are feeling so much better, now you will be up to spending time at the lawyer's updating your will with all these promises.

Uhhhhh... Promises??

But - I ain't dyin no more, see???? I feel like dancing.

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 10:31 PM
WOW.

Maybe I could fall down a flight of stairs for you, or slip on a nice banana peel.

I'll let you know.

Mitchell Andrus
08-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Mitch,

If you are going to treat yourself. Get some (don't laugh or roll your eyes) Preparation H. Preferably a NEW tube.

It takes away the itch/sting and takes down swelling. We keep a tube (marked for stings only) in our Med Kit.

I'm not sure what you do with the other tube not for stings.
?

I've heard it's good for wrinkles.

John Coloccia
08-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Just for that.... you get my broom and dust pan.

I was kind of hoping for the dust pan. Quite frankly, now that I know I'm out of the will, I'm sort of hoping you feel better.

Mike Cruz
08-21-2010, 11:49 PM
So much for Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead...

I WAS going to suggest that you cut the leg off, but a Sawstop just isn't up to the task...

Belinda Barfield
08-22-2010, 8:31 AM
Mitchell, thank you so much for thinking of me. I'm so sorry I missed all of the drama. I was out shopping at Vicky's Secrets. Good thing I bought something in black just in case! :D Should the worst every happy, please rest assured that I will take good care of your Dave Barry collection.

Rudy Ress
08-22-2010, 8:36 AM
Those are real nasty stings. Got many growing up in Florida. Pour household ammonia on it after the initial encounter. Another alternative, which is also good for wasp and bee stings, is to make a past of meat tenderizer and put it on the sting.

The saddlebacks are are to find sometimes as they tend to "hide" on the underneath of the leaves.

Mitchell Andrus
08-22-2010, 9:00 AM
The saddlebacks are are to find sometimes as they tend to "hide" on the underneath of the leaves.

That is exactly where I saw it.... too late of course.

All better. I can't even see a mark.

Mitchell Andrus
08-22-2010, 9:04 AM
Mitchell, thank you so much for thinking of me. I'm so sorry I missed all of the drama. I was out shopping at Vicky's Secrets. Good thing I bought something in black just in case! :D Should the worst every happy, please rest assured that I will take good care of your Dave Barry collection.

Swell, just when I need my friends the most you're out at Victoria's Secr...

Really?
I'm back.... Just took a short mental vacation.

Dave's the best, isn't he?

Mitchell Andrus
08-22-2010, 9:06 AM
So much for Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead...

I WAS going to suggest that you cut the leg off, but a Sawstop just isn't up to the task...

This isn't moving your name any higher on my list.

Mike Cruz
08-22-2010, 9:08 AM
Mental vacation, huh? Is that what they're calling it these days? :rolleyes:

Mike Cruz
08-22-2010, 9:11 AM
Oh, come on! You of all people should have appreciated THAT. Besides, weren't you the one with that song stuck in your head?

Mitchell Andrus
08-22-2010, 9:12 AM
Mental vacation, huh? Is that what they're calling it these days? :rolleyes:

At my age, you take it where you find it.

Mitchell Andrus
08-22-2010, 9:14 AM
Oh, come on! You of all people should have appreciated THAT. Besides, weren't you the one with that song stuck in your head?

Yea, and it's rolling around up there AGAIN.

Thanks.

ray hampton
08-22-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure what you do with the other tube not for stings.
?

I've heard it's good for wrinkles.

are you talking wrinkles on your face ? please use a new tube for your face

Bill Cunningham
08-22-2010, 1:37 PM
Don't be so smug!! Once it goes through a metamorphosis it will be airborne, and hunting you down!! :eek:

ray hampton
08-22-2010, 3:53 PM
Jeeez, Ray. Cyanide? Why don't you dig the grave too, what's the rush? Cyanide - really???

Ray's getting a bent screwdriver. Too bad, I had you down for the prizes either behind curtain #1 or inside the box Jay's bringing down the aisle.

For the youngsters... a Let's Make A Deal reference.

I doubt that you need to worry about the cyanide unless you ate a number of the caterpillows

Roger Newby
08-22-2010, 4:07 PM
Mitch...glad you had an apparent recovery, but...........I was really hoping to get yer pogostick. :mad:

Kenneth Hertzog
08-22-2010, 6:05 PM
Mitch
have you checked to see if the poor animal / bug is on the endangered
species list?????? You didn't kill it did you?:eek:
Ken

Glad to see that you are OK

its amazing how a short walk can turn bad.

Gary Herrmann
08-22-2010, 6:28 PM
Well dang, if I'd checked this forum earlier, I would have said something nice about you and/or your situation, Mitchell.

Not just to be willed something though. Really.

That said, if the poison is protein based, next time you run into that type of critter and come out on the short end of the confrontation, put some meat tenderizer on it. Works great on yellow jacket stings.

Harvey M. Taylor
08-22-2010, 6:43 PM
Mitch, the next time you go out in the underbrush, carry a small bottle of camphor. I guarantee you, nothing will bite you. Of course, it depends on how fast you carry it. Just some neighborly advice, Max

Mitchell Andrus
08-22-2010, 8:14 PM
Mitch, the next time you go out in the underbrush, carry a small bottle of camphor. I guarantee you, nothing will bite you. Of course, it depends on how fast you carry it. Just some neighborly advice, Max

Actually, it's a passive "attack". The spines only need to be touched.

Bill Cunningham
08-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Actually, it's a passive "attack". The spines only need to be touched.

Actually, you shouldn't feel 'too' bad.. You only have to trip over a skunk 'once' to realize how lucky you were with a caterpillar..

Mitchell Andrus
08-23-2010, 8:02 AM
Actually, you shouldn't feel 'too' bad.. You only have to trip over a skunk 'once' to realize how lucky you were with a caterpillar..

Boy, ain't that the truth... Had one fire off behind the house once. Damned near moved out to a motel for the night.

Jim Rimmer
08-23-2010, 1:53 PM
Was that a Freudian slip - somewhere between "ever happen" and "make everyone happy"?

Jim Rimmer
08-23-2010, 1:57 PM
Swell, just when I need my friends the most you're out at Victoria's Secr...

Really?
I'm back.... Just took a short mental vacation.

Dave's the best, isn't he?
Is this like Adult ADD? I was diagnosed with it but I don't thi... Did you see TOH yesterday?

Belinda Barfield
08-23-2010, 2:19 PM
Was that a Freudian slip - somewhere between "ever happen" and "make everyone happy"?

Oh, for cryin' out loud, couldn't someone have pointed this error out to me earlier? Do I have to be able to proofread to get the Dave Barry collection?

Mike Cruz
08-23-2010, 5:56 PM
No, not a Freudian slip...a Victoria's Secret slip! Can't you read? :D

Belinda, sorry, I actually didn't catch that! When I read your post, I read "ever happen"....:rolleyes:

Mitchell Andrus
08-23-2010, 6:16 PM

That was good for giggles all day.

Mitchell Andrus
08-23-2010, 6:18 PM
Oh, for cryin' out loud, couldn't someone have pointed this error out to me earlier? Do I have to be able to proofread to get the Dave Barry collection?

If had said you went to K-Mart instead, an entirely different.... well, y'know...

I'm feeling no ill effects. Looks like you'll have to wait a bit for the Barry Chronicles.

Mike Cruz
08-23-2010, 6:25 PM
Belinda, you STILL have Mitchell all astir. He can't even type coherantly...

Belinda Barfield
08-23-2010, 8:51 PM
That was good for giggles all day.

I'm SO glad I could be there for you Mitch!