PDA

View Full Version : Brad Nailer Problem

Scott Sallyards
08-21-2010, 9:55 AM
I have a Porter Cable BN125A Brad Nailer. It has been working fine then started to miss fire now and then and would only shoot a brad sometimes now it will not shoot a brad at all. Air pressure is good 120psi. 6 drops of oil in the air intake, any idea's

Scott

Rich Engelhardt
08-21-2010, 10:24 AM
6 drops of oil in the air intake, any idea's

:eek:

Way too much!

One drop is all it should take.

Clean up any oil you see and sacrifice a couple of magazines of brads to the "oil god" to clear it out.

@ 120 pounds & w/all that oil there's also a very good chance you blew out the seals. Air, enev at 120# will compress - oil doesn't - it acts like a hydralic jack & something has to give. Usually - no make that always, it's a seal.

120# is again, overkill.
75 to 85 should be plenty.
90 to 100 for 1 1/4" in very hard wood.

Read the manual as to how to fine adjust the depth setting, and avoid using the pressure dial as a substitute for depth adjustment.

(I know, I should practice what I preach and do that myself - like I'm sure a lot of other people do, I shortcut the depth adjustments by cranking up the air all too often)

Also - make sure you're using fresh Porter Cable fasteners.
I quit buying brads in bulk and always buy the PC bubble packs.
They run a little more money, but, they store well in the unopened package.

Good luck w/it.

I have two PC guns that I like a lot (16 ga and 23 ga). Neither of them like more than an occasional drop of oil & neither require anything near 120psi.
I've never had to run even the 16ga w/2 1/2" nails any higher than 100psi.

Scott Sallyards
08-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the input, but when I try to shoot a nail I get very little air from the exhaust. It is like it is not enough pressure in the nailer...

Scott

Bill White
08-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Sounds like a rebuild is in order. Not too difficult. I run 90psi on my guns.
Bill

BOB OLINGER
08-21-2010, 1:17 PM
Hi Scott,

Make sure you don't have an obstruction in your air line (hose or at the gun). Unlikely, but with 120 PSI at the gauge + little air exhaust, might be worth checking.

Rich Engelhardt
08-22-2010, 7:27 AM
Scott,
Bill's probably right about the rebuild.
A kit for a BN125A runs about $30/$40 - give or take.

Jerome Stanek
08-22-2010, 7:39 AM
Check the driver it May be bent or worn

Myk Rian
08-22-2010, 7:57 AM
Read the manual as to how to fine adjust the depth setting, and avoid using the pressure dial as a substitute for depth adjustment.
Manual? Real men don't not need no stinkin manual.:rolleyes:

Don Whitten
08-22-2010, 11:22 AM
The gun is rated at 90psi and you should turn down the air to 90psi, I usually make sure I've regulated my air to 100psi or slightly under to my guns. 3 drops of oil is alll that is needed for proper lubrication. I've got die grinders and other air tools that are / were heavly used that are over 30 years old and have yet to have to replace or rebuild one while following this and they work as good now as they did when new, sure are ugly though.