PDA

View Full Version : Feel free to comment......

John Keeton
08-21-2010, 6:32 AM
Guys, hope most of you have seen the Fall Turning 2010 contest thread, but if not, be sure to check it out. And, we want some feedback and buzz going on with this, too!!

We have some really great prizes. Several of our regular vendors and Friends of the Creek really stepped forward to help out.

Take a look, and get to work on those entries!! This is going to be a great contest, with some great entries, and some very happy winners!

charlie knighton
08-21-2010, 8:14 AM
prizes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Richard Madden
08-21-2010, 8:43 AM
I think it's a great idea and I thank you and whoever else had a hand in this. And a BIG thank you to the vendors donating the gifts. I really like the idea of four catagories. Whether I participate or not, I'll be watching the entries for sure. I'm guessing I probably will try a shot at this. Thanks again.

Curt Fuller
08-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Sounds like fun. Thanks!

Michael James
08-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Im new but I like the category subdivisions and I think they will impart better separation for everyone's subjective views. My pledge to self is to hit it in the woodshed for 1yr and then step up in '11.
I know the deep talent pool here is like guitar pickers in Nashville but what the heck...if you didnt have that bar so dang high around here, I might still be wanting to laminate some 3/4 maple and oak from home depot and make a really nice bowl for my fireplace mantle!:eek:
Best of luck to all contestants!!!;)

Kevin Stanbary
08-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Excellent - I think I will need to participate :)

Question: I have an idea rattling around in my head for a set of (3) candlesticks. Would it be appropriate (allowed) to enter the set in the spindle category? I may just go for the bowl category instead, but just in case...

Thanks for putting this together, and thanks to those donating the prizes!

David E Keller
08-21-2010, 11:51 AM
This looks like a lot of fun. I greatly appreciate the prize donors, and I will reward their generosity with my patronage... I encourage others to do the same.

I have a thought/suggestion... Why not allow folks to enter every category if they wish to do so? You could certainly stipulate that no one person would be eligible for more than one prize. My rationale for the idea is that it might generate more entries for each category while preserving the ability of as many people as possible to get goodies. Just a thought...

Michael James
08-21-2010, 12:59 PM
How about a category for "other". Michelle's work comes to mind and I know there are others who are creating outside the listed standard forms. I realize that this would be subjective as all get out.... and I have no idea how you would pick the winner, but I think it would generate an opportunity for us to see many pieces that we were not aware of. If you consider this, I think a reasonable stipulation would be the majortity of the piece would need to be turned, as opposed to a huge piece with 1 little turned knob or ball...
just a thought.
mj

Sean Ackerman NY
08-21-2010, 1:15 PM
Go kick some butt guys. Really excited to see what comes of this

Jake Helmboldt
08-21-2010, 3:41 PM
To Keeton and the moderators; I have a question regarding eligible projects. The rules state that entries are to be created specifically for this contest. Does that therefore preclude use of a roughed out bowl blank?

thanks, JH

Steve Schlumpf
08-21-2010, 4:21 PM
Jake - a roughed out blank is just that - a rough blank. If you grab an existing - dry - roughed out blank and then turn something for the contest - then as far as I am concerned, you created something specifically for the contest.

If we all had to start with green wood - then we would have to push the entry dates by 6 months to a year. Not sure about you - but I don't like waiting that long.

John Keeton
08-21-2010, 5:23 PM
How about a category for "other". Michelle's work comes to mind and I know there are others who are creating outside the listed standard forms.Michael, the problem in having another division is having a prize package sufficient to entice participation. If we have other vendors jump in and make some donations to another division, I think the mods would certainly consider that. BTW, Michelle and I discussed this very topic, and I believe she is going to adapt to an existing division.

Also, just to clarify, the moderators are prohibited from participating in the contests!

David K., the idea is for this to ultimately be decided by popular vote. I am not sure we could make that work with entries in multiple divisions, but limiting one to winning only one division. Having an entry in a division, subject to receiving votes, but ineligible to win doesn't sound feasible. But, if you have an idea, I am all ears! The idea is to generate some excitement, some neat turnings, and have some fun!!!

Jack Mincey
08-21-2010, 6:08 PM
If one was to enter a nested set in the bowl category, is it ok to submit multiple pictures to show each bowl as well as the nested set. Today, I started working on one of the oak burl nested sets that I cored out this spring. They are looking very good so far. I just hope I don't lose one of them in the process of finishing them up.
Thanks,
Jack

brian watts
08-21-2010, 7:28 PM
if could turn some nice bowls as you all do i would but just turn hunting stuff . that leave me out .

Steve Schlumpf
08-21-2010, 7:31 PM
Brian - how do you figure that leaves you out? We have a spindle category.

John Keeton
08-21-2010, 7:38 PM
The following will be posted as a Clarification to the contest rules.

Clarifications

You are free to enter your turning in any division you choose. However, please consider the following:

A "bowl" can be open or closed form (diameter of the rim is smaller than that of the bowl), but please consider that if you choose to enter a "closed form" that some might consider a "hollow form" then you run the risk of not getting public approval of that entry in the form of votes.

A "hollow form" entry should be a form that could not be "hollowed" with bowl gouges, and would require the use of other specialized tools to access areas of the form. Again, should you choose to enter a "hollow form" that some might consider a "bowl" or "lidded form" then you run the risk of not getting public approval of that entry in the form of votes.

A segmented piece could be a spindle, a bowl, or a hollow form, and you could choose to enter it in any of those categories. But, please consider that most folks will be looking at it as a segmented piece (regardless of form) and it may do better in the "segmented" division.

A spindle turning, that is "hollow", could still be considered a spindle turning. Depending on shape, some may also consider it a hollow form, or perhaps even a bowl. So, you must use your judgment as to which division you think your entry will gain you more votes.

Multiple turnings of the same wood, whether spindle, nested bowls, or hollow forms presented as a duo, or trio, are permitted. Again, use your best judgment here. If you feel folks will consider your entry as "too much", then you may want to consider that possibility.

Roughed out blanks may be used. But, as to the requirement that this be "new work", we are relying on the "honor system" here, so please be considerate.

You may post only ONE POST. That post may contain a maximum of five (5) photos. One of those will be chosen by a moderator as your thumbnail in the voting thread, so please include at least one full shot of the piece appropriate to represent your entry.

Bernie Weishapl
08-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Are lidded boxes or threaded lidded boxes considered spindles or is there not a catagory for them?

David E Keller
08-21-2010, 11:22 PM
David K., the idea is for this to ultimately be decided by popular vote. I am not sure we could make that work with entries in multiple divisions, but limiting one to winning only one division. Having an entry in a division, subject to receiving votes, but ineligible to win doesn't sound feasible. But, if you have an idea, I am all ears! The idea is to generate some excitement, some neat turnings, and have some fun!!!

Let me preface the following by saying that I'm all for the contest as it stands... I think it will generate plenty of fun and excitement. I also appreciate the time and effort involved for the moderators.(Thank you!:D)

I understand the conundrum with voting and prize restrictions. I assume the vote tally will be hidden except to the mods... If that's true, then if a situation arose where a person was able to win/place/show in more than one category, the mods could contact that person with a choice of prizes. Upon selecting a prize, that turner would immediately be removed from consideration in the other categories, and the next person in line would move up to the award podium.

I promise I'm not trying to make trouble... I just think being able to enter multiple categories will generate more beautiful turning photos for us to drool over.

John Keeton
08-22-2010, 6:42 AM
Bernie, we are leaving to the discretion of the turner as to which category to enter. If you feel your lidded box is spindle turning moreso than a closed form bowl, then that would be where to enter it. Were it me making the decision as a turner, a large factor would be the complexity of the spindle aspects.

If the style of the lidded box is rather "shaker" vs. "victorian" (for lack of a better comparison!), then you might consider that in the spindle category, there may be turnings that are quite ornate. If that is the case, your lidded box may not fair as well.

It simply would not be fair for the moderators to make those decisions. Our judgment should not become a factor in the success/failure of a piece.

There are too many subcategories of woodturning to provide a division for each style - unless, of course, someone scrounges up a bunch more prizes to give away!!!:D:D When that happens, we can revisit that issue.

David, the voting will be via a poll, and thus will be publicly viewable.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-22-2010, 10:24 AM
This sounds like a fantastic contest and a lot of fun. I hope I have my shop up and running in time.:) Thanks to all of those who are making this possible!!:D

Michelle Rich
08-22-2010, 10:59 AM
isn't a deer call/duck call spindle turning?

John Keeton
08-22-2010, 12:21 PM
isn't a deer call/duck call spindle turning?Michelle, that is the division where I would enter a call.

Greg Just
08-22-2010, 1:29 PM
This is a great idea. There are a lot of creative people here and I expect the competition to be stiff. Let the creative juices begin! Thanks to all that contributed to the prizes.

charlie knighton
08-22-2010, 7:59 PM
thanks for the warning Jack, (oak burl nested sets that I cored out this spring), good luck to you and yalll :D