PDA

View Full Version : thanks for the burl..

Michael James
08-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Normally I wouldn't consider one of my pens worthy of a post, but this redwood burl is part of a care package that Cathy S sent me a while back. I know the photo is awful but it shows the finish well, although the color is a little light due to the flash. I used CA on the burl, and a little bit of shellac and wax on the cocobolo. Wall str II pen from WC.
Thank you....!:D

ps - I have everthing but the backdrop already to reproduce JK's photo booth....I PROMISE next post I will attempt a quality photo.

John Keeton
08-21-2010, 6:06 AM
Michael, very nice pen, and I love the redwood burl! I happen to know exactly from whence Cathy got that burl - and, there is an interesting story behind it. We both purchased from the same source, at the same time, and I ended up getting her shipment (larger pieces!!:D) and she got mine (smaller pieces!:mad:)

I was pretty excited - Cathy not so much!! But, we got it all worked out. It certainly is some beautiful wood.

Cathy Schaewe
08-21-2010, 8:17 AM
Michael - I'm very glad you turned that little piece into something beautiful! I'm happy I sent it to you, because it would still be sitting on my shelf.;)

David E Keller
08-21-2010, 9:07 AM
Nicely done, Michael. Both of those pens look great! Good on you, Cathy!

Bernie Weishapl
08-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Michael those are great looking pens. Really nice wood.

Cathy Schaewe
08-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Michael, very nice pen, and I love the redwood burl! I happen to know exactly from whence Cathy got that burl - and, there is an interesting story behind it. We both purchased from the same source, at the same time, and I ended up getting her shipment (larger pieces!!:D) and she got mine (smaller pieces!:mad:)

I was pretty excited - Cathy not so much!! But, we got it all worked out. It certainly is some beautiful wood.

And the ironic little twist to the story - I'm not sure JK is aware of this - is that I told the seller to hold off on filling my order until John placed his order, because I wanted him to get the pieces he wanted, as the supply was limited. I should have kept my mouth shut! :D:D

Christopher K. Hartley
08-21-2010, 1:04 PM
Michael, Beautiful pen. The burl is fantastic and it was a good pen kit choice. Congrats.:)