PDA

View Full Version : Problem with ridgid bandsaw.....

Nathan Dekens
08-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Well I was trying to do some tuning to my bandsaw and found that the lower wheel does not seem to spin true and seems to be a bit warped and the cause of my vibration issues.

So is there anyplace to get a aftermarket replacement wheel that would fit? What have you folks done that have had this problem?

I plane on doing the standard balancing of the wheel, blade replacements, and belt replacement as well as stiffining up the base.

Lance Norris
08-20-2010, 10:30 PM
New saw? Older, used saw? If its new, and truly warped, get Ridgid to replace it. Warped wheels are not a common problem with the Ridgid saw(but out of balance is). I dont know of a "replacement wheel" but if your saw is out of warranty, get a new wheel from Ridgid parts. I would bug Ridgid till they send you a new one.

And no, Im not a Ridgid spokesperson, but I do own the saw.

Mike Cruz
08-21-2010, 7:41 AM
HA! Lance, when I started reading your post, I thought you were suggesting that he get a new saw...

Nathan, what he said... also, a linkbelt will really help, too.

Nathan Dekens
08-21-2010, 2:27 PM
HA! Lance, when I started reading your post, I thought you were suggesting that he get a new saw...

Nathan, what he said... also, a linkbelt will really help, too.

Well hear is what I have found out:

I can take the wheel off and lay it on my table saw top and test it this was it comes out flat. Next I mounted the wheel with a shaft through it to my drill press and spun it by hand this way it comes out warped.

Mount it to the band saw drive shaft = warped.

I even pulled the shaft and cleaned and reset the bearings still warped.

So im thinking either the hole through the wheel is off or the mating surfaces are not machined parallel to the rest of the wheel.

Is the ridgid warranty dept easy to deal with or are they a pain? The saw is deffinatly under warranty since I bought it in December new.

Myk Rian
08-21-2010, 2:33 PM
Is the ridgid warranty dept easy to deal with or are they a pain? The saw is deffinatly under warranty since I bought it in December new.
Call them and find out. I've heard they are reasonable people.

Dave Wagner
08-21-2010, 3:11 PM
Also balancing the wheels helps. I had to add a couple of large washers (2.5" diam) to the wheel itself on the light side. I just duct taped them to the one of the splines.

Its like balancing a motocycle wheel, put a shaft thru the middle on a couple boards and spin it, let it roll around, and the heavy side will rotate to the bottom, add weight to the top part of the wheel and continue until it stops spinning, move 1/4 turn and let it sit, if it rotates on it own, it's still out of balance....

Similar info

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3355

Nathan Dekens
08-21-2010, 5:08 PM
Yes I have done that but the wheel is still warped.

Also balancing the wheels helps. I had to add a couple of large washers (2.5" diam) to the wheel itself on the light side. I just duct taped them to the one of the splines.

Its like balancing a motocycle wheel, put a shaft thru the middle on a couple boards and spin it, let it roll around, and the heavy side will rotate to the bottom, add weight to the top part of the wheel and continue until it stops spinning, move 1/4 turn and let it sit, if it rotates on it own, it's still out of balance....

Similar info

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3355