PDA

View Full Version : Priceing a new shop

Donny Lawson
08-20-2010, 9:48 PM
I'm wondering about what a shop might cost. I know that's a big question but I'm just looking at rough figures right now.I'm looking at a 24 x 36 with a (metal/shingle roof) whichever is cheaper.,wooden or metal sides(whichever is cheaper).Small roll up door and one entry door.I already have a concrete pad.My shop burnt this week and I'm just trying to get a headstart on a replacement.Would a pre-fab shop be cheaper? Suggestions,advise??
Thanks, Donny

Matt Logana
08-20-2010, 9:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your shop...

Are you looking for pricing on Tools too? Or did you evacuate them like you would your kids...

Prefabs generally would be cheaper in labour, but more expensive in purchase cost.

BOTS(Build on the Spot) would generally be more expensive in labour, but cheaper(possibly) on materials, w/ customization.

I would go with wooden sides, so that you can insulate them... which might be a tad difficult with metal..

Donny Lawson
08-20-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm just looking at a shop price.,with lights and outlets(LOTS OF OUTLETS).Tools are no good without a shop.I need to start with a shop first.Just something basic.Mostly for bowls and pens and some small furniture.
Donny

Don Bullock
08-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Donny, the cost to build a shop depends greatly on your location. Some kind of prefab will usually cost less than a ground up build. I would suggest getting some estimates from local contractors and then looking into choices of prefab construction in your area. I ended up having Tuff Shed build my shop/garage, but I don't see them listed near you. BTW --- You live in a beautiful part of the country.

Greg Bender
08-21-2010, 8:42 AM
Donnie,
I'm looking at building a shop myself and had got some prices from local contractors here in NC.For a metal building 24 by 36 with 8 foot side walls,3-30 by40 windows,8 by7 foot sliding door,one 36" door, a2' by 2' cupola,boxed eaves,roof insulation for around $6500.That does not include concrete.I'm gonna bump up to 10' side walls but I do not know the price difference.I have seen Conestoga buildings for a little more and hand framed wood buildings for around $12500 but that did include the concrete.

Hope that helps you get a ball park number to start with.Wanted to say that I was very sorry to see the post about your shop fire.You never want to see that kind of thing but at least nobody got hurt. You will build it bigger and better and get back to creating in no time.
Good luck and if you need anymore info PM me.
Greg

Jim O'Dell
08-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Donny, can't help you with prices, but so sorry to hear of the loss of the shop. Guess it's just another opportunity to make the shop exactly how you want it. Jim.

Thom Sturgill
08-21-2010, 3:42 PM
As I said earlier, sorry to hear about the shop. Glad nobody was hurt. According to their website, a Tuff Shed garage 24x30 is about $14K. That's uninsulated and no wiring, bare studs on the inside, finished outside.

Since I'm doing turning only now, I'm, looking at something smaller, a barn style with loft and wing extensions for covered wood storage. A 12x16 shed (under 200 sq ft so no building permit/inspection except power/water) is $4k-5k. There's a company east of Raliegh called 'Sheds Done Right', it looks like 16' wide is as large as they go, but the work looks good. You could add a shed roof off the side and house wood storage, cyclone, compressor out side the shop proper and finish them off later. Just an idea that might make the insurance dollars go further..

Larry Nall
08-21-2010, 4:57 PM
Recently finished my 26 x 34 shop. It's 2x4 construction on a slab, sheathed and sided with Hardie, five windows, single entry and barn style doors. The roof is metal. I hired out the slab and the trusses but build everything else myself. It took about 2 years, but I have a real job, a yard to mow, home maintenance, a wife with project needs... I'm guessing I've got $25K in it but I haven't added up all my receipts (afraid to). I did it myself for the experience. If it burns down, I think I'll let the insurance man build the next one.

David Warkentin
08-21-2010, 5:28 PM
Have you thought about a metal building? A company here could build one with 3 inch insulation and concrete for about 20 dollars a square foot. David

Jaromir Svoboda
08-21-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm building mine shop now,its 26 x 31,10' walls,scissors trusses,8 windows,4 skylights,french door,36" door,radiant heat (pex and insulation only) ,fiberglass insulation,aluminum soffit and fascia.I dont have siding and drywall and it coast me $ 21,950,including concrete.Concrete was $ 8,800.
I did all work myself except wiring and concrete.
Good luck.
Jaromir

Donny Lawson
08-24-2010, 11:49 PM
I have the concrete slab.24x36. Other than that the way I have it figured out I think I'm going to have about 11,000 for a new shop(total)Building,doors, windows,lights, insulation,wiring,etc....I might scrounge up a few more dollars but that's about what I have to work with.I will find out on Monday.
Donny

Van Huskey
08-25-2010, 1:09 AM
I am pricing out a little larger shop (30x35) and without concrete and site prep it will be about $17-18 bucks a square.

2X4 walls 10' ceiling 4 windows, man door and roll up door, vinyl siding and 25yr shingles, fiberglass batt insulation, extensive wiring (200 amp service) and drywall.

I will be doing the electrical, insulation, drywall, paint, trim, and roof.

Donny Lawson
08-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Does anyone have some websites for pre-fab buildings/shops? I live in Northern Georgia so I would like something in the area if possible.
Donny

Matt Ellis
08-25-2010, 1:12 PM
My dad had a 30X50X10 pole barn built by National Barn a few years back. The shell with concrete slab cost ~$15K. He finished the inside (electrical, plumbing, insulation and wall sheathing/ceiling) himself and is sitting right at $20k. It is VERY nice for a little over $13/square foot.

The building came standard with one 10' sliding door and a 3' man door.

Here is a link to them: http://www.nationalbarn.com/

FWIW, we're south of Macon. If you go that way, let me know as I can get a referral discount when I build my own! :D

-matt

Mike Cruz
08-25-2010, 9:21 PM
Depending on how much you do yourself, I would say you could do it for $20-$25K.

My 24 x 30 building roughed in with metal roof was around $17K. I would say between electic (power to the building, 200 amp service, wiring, fixtures, and outlets), insulation, interior walls, flooring, window ac and small hanging heater, I would say I'm easily at $25K+. And I did as much as I could myself. My shop also has a lot of things it doesn't need.