PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the new Bosch 12" SCMS?

Brian Peters
08-20-2010, 9:38 PM
Searched and couldn't find this saw already discussed. It is appears to be in great competition to the expensive Festrool Kapex and doesn't rely on any kind of linear guides or rails; just a set of hinged bearings. Would like to demo this one :rolleyes: if it comes out in the coming months as they said. Price point is almost the same as the current 12" saw.

Cliff Holmes
08-20-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm not so sure it's comparable to the Kapex. Beyond the new arms, it looks like the same old Bosch saw. Unless rear clearance is an issue, I don't see any compelling reason to get it.

Will Overton
08-20-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm not so sure it's comparable to the Kapex. Beyond the new arms, ...

The new arms are a radical departure from what we have seen up until now. As far as being comparable to the Kapex, it could be better, or not. I don't think you could be sure of anything yet. I wouldn't dismiss them until I actually got to try the saw.

Van Huskey
08-21-2010, 2:05 AM
The Kapex has two trump cards, accuracy and dust collection. Not sure dust collection is a big issue because even the Kapex isn't good compared to other tools (CSMS are horrible in general). Accuracy and precision may well move closer to the Kapex or past it given the mechanism. Time will tell, I hope to see one at IWF next week.

Mike Heidrick
08-21-2010, 2:23 AM
Kapex can also run like a RAS in that the height of the blade an be raised above full through cut correct? Will the Bosch do that? The Bosch's arm action looks super awesome. Love that angle finder that comes with the Kapex too.

Will Overton
08-21-2010, 7:47 AM
Kapex can also run like a RAS in that the hight of the blade an be raised above full through cut correct? Will the Bosch do that?

That's a good question. The current model Bosch scms's can do that and have an adjustable stop. It looks, at first glance, that it would be more difficult with the new design.

Marvin Ford
08-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Here is a link to a reviews and some pictures. Looks nice. Have always had good experiences with Bosch tools.

http://toolmonger.com/2010/06/07/preview-axial-glide-compound-miter-saw/