PDA

View Full Version : infill magnet

Len Keimer
08-20-2010, 9:18 PM
Hello I've not been hear since 07,so I'm a newbie I suppose. Looking for new horizons and new places to learn more about my favorite subject which is British Metal Planes commonly referred to as infill planes.

I imagine some of the folks here know me from other woodworking handtool forums or from even selling me planes,or just talking about them where ever I can. My collection is a wide range of different types of infills from the well known Norris' to old Scottish infills with no known maker to modern ones made by the new generation plane makers. I have some favorite makers I prefer like Slater,but they certainly don't need a makers name to interest me.

I hope to gleen some information from those of you who share this infill plane interest and any help I can be to you all I will certainly do without reservation,look forward to sharing ideas on woodworking as well,Len

Jonathan McCullough
08-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Welcome Len. I've never used an infill plane. Do you feel that the extra weight adds something to the performance of these planes, or do you think it's the thicker irons? How much more does an infill really weigh than their corresponding Baileys and Bedrocks?

Rick Markham
08-21-2010, 1:28 AM
Welcome to the creek Len! There will be lots of folks along shortly to share! I really enjoy admiring the infills, and seeing what the artisan craftsman plane makers have created. Currently I don't have the funds to endulge on a personal level, but one day ;)

Frank Drew
08-21-2010, 9:59 AM
Welcome Len. I've never used an infill plane. Do you feel that the extra weight adds something to the performance of these planes, or do you think it's the thicker irons? How much more does an infill really weigh than their corresponding Baileys and Bedrocks?

Plane geometry is subtle, and a well-designed, well-tuned Bailey style plane can do good work, but I do believe weight can be an asset, and I strongly believe that a thick iron helps. Without putting both on scales, I think it's fair to say, having both, that a British infill plane weighs a good bit more than a Bailey of a similar length.

The best performing metal plane I have is a Spiers panel plane; I also have a Norris smoother but for the finest cut it's hard to beat the Spiers.

And welcome to the board, Len; planes of all descriptions get a lot of discussion in this forum.

Mark Stutz
08-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi Len,
Haven't been very active...almost too painful without a shop, but that's about to change!:D Haven't ventured very far down that slope yet, but that could change!

I know you have some pictures to show:cool::D

Mark

David Keller NC
08-21-2010, 10:39 AM
I hope to gleen some information from those of you who share this infill plane interest and any help I can be to you all I will certainly do without reservation,look forward to sharing ideas on woodworking as well,Len

Welcome back, Len. Are you looking for information from the standpoint of tuning/using these planes, or information on who made what & when, which makers/models are more/less valuable from a collector's standpoint?

Ray Sheley
08-22-2010, 5:19 PM
Glad to see you here as well. Lot's of interesting folks to "meet" and different topics to discuss here also.

jerry nazard
08-23-2010, 1:47 AM
Hello Len,

It will be nice to have your expertise and sharp wit over here!

-Jerry

Len Keimer
08-26-2010, 10:25 PM
I've been a collector user for a few years now and no I'm not looking for information on makers or how to tune them since I've got quite a few. I was just looking for more infill affectionatos to shoot the breeze with about them.

I agree a well made infill is hard to outperform,but it's a lot more then the thick iron and weight of the plane,it's the design as well which makes things like chatter almost nonexistant.

I have my favorites ,I like Norris and Spiers and Scottish smoothers,but I'd say Slater made the most consistantly good performers. I'll try to get some pics together for show and tell soon so you guys can get a idea of where I'm at with this infill thing,Len