PDA

View Full Version : lacquer dipping

Derek Voigt
08-20-2010, 8:39 PM
So have some a bunch of wine stoppers that I wanted to try a different finish on. So I attempted to dip them in lacquer. The lacquer looked great in the middle, but it puddled at the bottom and on one of them that had a flat top is had a pitted look to it.

I dipped each only one once (mostly just to test it out). I was thinking that I need to thin the lacquer more and due 2 or 3 dips.

Any other suggestions?

What would be the best position to hold the stopper in to dry, up right, upside down, or on its side?

Thanks!

Scott Holmes
08-21-2010, 9:15 PM
You are applying it too thick. Thinning will help. Spraying would be better.

Derek Voigt
08-21-2010, 10:33 PM
I would like to spray, but I don't have a spray gun. I was thinking about picking up a cheap HVLP gun from HF to play with...

Scott Holmes
08-22-2010, 10:33 AM
For very small project like this buy a "Critter Sprayer" for ~$50 use a compressor @ 20-40 PSI and you are all set.

My Critter Sprayer attaches to standard mason jars. I've heard that they have changed the top config. but have not verified one way or the other.

I store left over finish in the mason jars; cap it and I'm good to go.

Kenneth Hertzog
08-22-2010, 6:44 PM
I've played with dipping with varying results
found that when dipped have it hang so the drip
can either be wiped off or can be removed with a squaring tool.
I've left it in the chuck and did a wipe with a soft cloth.
that keeps the piece spinning at a slow rate and won't
throw it finish off.
ken

Derek Voigt
08-23-2010, 7:55 AM
For very small project like this buy a "Critter Sprayer" for ~$50 use a compressor @ 20-40 PSI and you are all set.

My Critter Sprayer attaches to standard mason jars. I've heard that they have changed the top config. but have not verified one way or the other.

I store left over finish in the mason jars; cap it and I'm good to go.

I have not heard of this before, I'll have to look into it. Thanks.