PDA

View Full Version : Old,Old Sears Radial arm saw

Harry Niemann
08-20-2010, 8:08 PM
Will wonders never cease. My 1964 Craftsman radial arm saw developed several broken teeth on the column elevation bevel gear. Sears actually had the part in stock. For a 46 year old saw!

Terry Welty
08-20-2010, 8:49 PM
Just in case you can't get it fixed .... Sears had a recall on most of their older RAS... based on unsafe blade cover... if they don't have a replacement part that is deemed safe, they will pay you $100, but you have to make the saw inoperable...

Joseph Tarantino
08-20-2010, 10:09 PM
i had the same experience , harry. my 1964/5 RAS wouldn't pivot on the column due to a broken rod within the overhead saw support arm. sears had the part and now it's fully functional and it's one of my favorite tools.

george wilson
08-20-2010, 10:25 PM
I used to demonstrate that very radial arm saw at Sears during Christmas season sales events. Also,their round bed lathe and a few other machines. The radial saw was the main promotion.

When I first got out of college,I taught school shop for a few years in Portsmouth,Va. the Sears store was right across the street. Right beside Sears was a music store where I did all of their guitar repairs,too. Got quite a bit of work from the immediate area around the school.

I started teaching shop partly so I could work in the shop after hours. It was a few years before I got together enough money,and the space,to begin to have one of my own,where I could continue to make guitars.

Mike Harrison
08-21-2010, 8:00 AM
Sears had a recall on most of their older RAS... Really? Across 70 years? I think not.

Joseph Tarantino
08-21-2010, 8:57 AM
Really? Across 70 years? I think not.

where did you get 70 years from? my saw model, a radial 100, which i believe dates to at least 1960, qualifies for the rebate. that's 50 years.

Will Overton
08-21-2010, 10:25 AM
"Emerson Tool Co. (ETC) is providing a repair kit for a new blade guard or $100 to owners of certain Craftsman® 8", 8¼", 9", and 10" Radial Arm Saws. Sears sold the 8, 9, and 10-inch saws from 1958 through 1992."

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/