PDA

View Full Version : OT: What to do in Atlanta

Tom Walz
08-20-2010, 6:16 PM
Will be there working IWF.

Three of us have Friday night free. We are looking for a really good meal in someplace kind of unique and not at all touristy. We do a lot of the standard steak house stuff entertaining clients.

We are also looking for something to do after dinner.

We are older guys in our 50”s and 60”s and just looking for a good dinner and quiet evening with old friends.

I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Tom

Kent A Bathurst
08-20-2010, 6:31 PM
Tom -

I can put quite a few pitches right in your wheelhouse. I need a bit more info from you. Send me a PM or email, and I can get you lined up with solid options.

Matthew Joe
08-20-2010, 6:42 PM
There are dozens of great restaurants in Atlanta, and we could probably narrow things down for you if we knew which area of town your hotel is located at.

Alfredo's has the best Italian food in Atlanta, hands-down. Don't let the exterior appearance or location scare you away. Check out the reviews on Google, too.
http://alfredositalianrestaurant.com/homepage.html

Six Feet Under has great southern fried seafood.
http://www.sixfeetunderatlanta.com/

Fado's Irish Pub also has great food.
http://www.fadoirishpub.com/

If you're looking to spend a little more (well, a lot more) and want a awesome steak, try Bones.
http://www.bonesrestaurant.com/

Kent A Bathurst
08-20-2010, 7:31 PM
........... Alfredo's has the best Italian food in Atlanta, hands-down.............

That's bold.

Not correct either, IMO, but then, my version is a place where the wait staff are all Italian gentlemen in tuxes that have an average age of 50+ and seem to have have been there since their busboy days as teens, the clientele mostly looks like they started dining there as teens, and the wine list - well.......... And - the meal prices are very reasonable for what you get - the wine list, of course, can kill you if you let it.

Alfredos-"Good" - yes. "Very good" - often. "Best hands-down"? Wellllllllllll. The Zagat quote not withstanding, I'd eat there again. But it ain't what it ain't.

6 feet under is great. I go there often. More like a weekend-bloody-mary-noon-time-jimmy-buffet place.

Fado's- a very nicely done upscale-hip-buckhead irish pub. Friday nites are great for "bird watching" also.

Bones - exactly - 'cept he didn't want a steak house. If he changes his mind, that's where I would go.

Hey - been to nearly all of 'em. Just my $0.02.

Actually, at the one's I would have listed, maybe more like a nickel.

Michael Kowalczyk
08-20-2010, 7:38 PM
I'll be at Bones Wednesday night at 9:00PM. That's the earliest I could get in on a reservation. Could try a walk in but it's a hit or miss and I don't like sitting at a bar when eating a Fillet. Bones is my bench mark Fillet that I compare all others to and so far NO ONE has served me a better fillet anywhere in the US. Excellent quality and service and you get what you pay for. Let me know if anyone wants to join in and I can modify the res online.

Jerome Stanek
08-21-2010, 7:13 AM
I always like Ted's Montana grill. They have a great Bison steak there

Will Boulware
08-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Look for a restaurant called Parish. It's deep south new orleans food. It absolutely blew me away, and I travel a lot. It's not terribly expensive either. I managed to eat there on my company's recession-influenced per diem. :eek:

Tom Walz
08-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Thank you all.

That is the sort of thing I was looking for and I deeply appreciate your time and trouble.

Tom

Jerome Hanby
08-23-2010, 12:51 PM
I think this is the right name, Rocky's Brickhouse Pizzeria (or something similar, Rocky and Brick I'm pretty sure about). Not expensive but tasty. Once upon a time, Atlanta was the closest city with a Macroni Grill, back in the day it was really good. No clue after all the new franchises have moved across the SE. Sonny's BBQ is pretty good out near Norcross and there is a wing place close to it that actually managed to serve me something almost too hot to eat (a major accomplishment). I think there is a Benihanna's (spelling?) in Atlanta and the Abbey is supposed to be one of the best resturants (and priced accordingly) around. Second on Bones, I think it's better than Ruth's Chris.