PDA

View Full Version : PAPR stuff or FFTKAT

Josh Bowman
08-20-2010, 6:08 PM
I talked with Phil Evans at P&R distributing about the Trend Air Shield. He agreed to send me the Pro and Original to try out. I have access to a lab that can do some "basic" testing on these and below are the results. The lab uses an ultrasonic humidifier to create the particulates in the air. A particulate device is connected to a computer and counts the outside versus the inside mask particulate levels via tygon hoses.
For what it's worth here are the results.
The Pro reduces the particulate levels from the 8500+ ppm to less than 100 ppm for a protection factor of 101
The Original reduced the count to about 300 ppm for a protection factor of 21.
This was not a scientific controlled test, I only used the equipment we use to test mask fit for respirators. I'm not exactly certain on the micron of a humidifier versus dust from turning, if water mist is smaller then the Air Shields are even better, if not then you have to judge. Perhaps someone could add that to add more value to the results.
FFTKAT=Fun Facts to Know and Tell:)

Roger Chandler
08-20-2010, 6:24 PM
Josh,

This is really good information. I just recently purchased the Trend Pro, and have used it once. I did a good job, I thought, but I also use an overhead air cleaner, and a dust collector.

How does a protection factor of 101 stack up with other respirators that you know of?

Josh Bowman
08-20-2010, 7:33 PM
Josh,

This is really good information. I just recently purchased the Trend Pro, and have used it once. I did a good job, I thought, but I also use an overhead air cleaner, and a dust collector.

How does a protection factor of 101 stack up with other respirators that you know of?

I'm on the user end at work so am not an expert. But for a successful mask fit (these are full face masks with particulate filters) you should get 10 or less. But in my business it has to be low. We actually don't test PAPR's due to the very nature that a "mask fit" is not needed. For comparison here are some ratings. Remember you're dealing with commercial units and averages. My test only showed the results of 4 or 5 duplicate tests. I still am feeling that the Air Shield does well. Steve S's 3M unit will probably be in the same class as below.

Table of APFs for various types of Respirators

Respirator Class and Type OSHA

Air Purifying
Filtering Facepiece 10
Half-Mask 10
Full-Facepiece 50

Powered Air Purifying
Half-Mask 50
Full-Facepiece 250
Loose Fitting Facepiece 25
Hood or Helmet 25

Supplied Air
Half-Mask-Demand 10
Half-Mask-Continuous 50
Half-Mask-Pressure Demand 1000
Full-Facepiece Demand 50
Full-Facepiece Continuous Flow 250
Full-Facepiece Pressure Demand 1000
Loose Fitting Facepiece 25
Hood or Helmet 25

Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
Demand 50
Pressure Demand >1000

Reference: http://www.trustcrm.com/ectny/respiratory_advisor/haz_expose/apf/apf.html

Roger Chandler
08-20-2010, 8:21 PM
Thank you Mr. Bowman! I appreciate the time and effort you put forth to be of assistance! :)

Bernie Weishapl
08-20-2010, 8:55 PM
Thanks for the info Josh.