PDA

View Full Version : My photo tent - for you Roger Chandler!!

John Keeton
08-20-2010, 4:14 PM
In a prior thread on The Witch's Cauldron (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1491791#post1491791), Roger asked about my setup for taking pics of my turnings. At the time, I thought I recalled some pics I had on my computer, but could not find them. Today, while organizing some pics, I ran across these, and thought I would post them. Pretty slapped together, and not what is recommended, but it apparently works OK.

I have two windows in my shop, and I cover those with some blueboard (styrofoam) when I take pics so the shop is pitch dark, except for the worklights.

So, for what it is worth! There are some other threads on this topic, and I don't mean to duplicate those. But, I did want to respond better to Roger's question since I ran across these.

David E Keller
08-20-2010, 4:18 PM
In less than a year, do you see what has happened to your relationship with your tablesaw?!:D

Roger Chandler
08-20-2010, 4:37 PM
John,

Thank you! That picture is worth a thousand words for sure, and now I have one of those Aha! moments............

BTW, I agree with David............it is a terrible thing you have done, divorcing your table saw, that stood by your side all those years, and now you've chosen another "mistress!" :eek::D:D;) The lathe!

Oh, BTW again, since you are gaining all this notoriety, you know you will now have all these "hangers-on" folks.............

thought I'd be the first........look at my new signature line :D

John Keeton
08-20-2010, 4:37 PM
Why David, what do you imply??? I mean, it is treated like royalty - shrouded in linen, showcased with lights....what more could you ask??:)

Ohhhh.....you must be talking about using it to cut stuff with?!?:confused: I forgot about that!:eek:

John Keeton
08-20-2010, 4:40 PM
Roger, wait 'till Schlumpf sees this!!!!:D:D:D

Roger Chandler
08-20-2010, 4:42 PM
Roger, wait 'till Schlumpf sees this!!!!:D:D:D

Yeah John,

It might just start a riot, or maybe a stampede :D

gary Zimmel
08-20-2010, 5:10 PM
I would throw you a life line from the flat world, but I think it is way too late....
Tablesaw as a photo tent. I love it. Doesn't look like it ever comes down.

David E Keller
08-20-2010, 5:44 PM
I was looking at the photos again... How often does the maid come in and clean your shop? I've eaten in lots of places that aren't as clean.

Josh Reet
08-20-2010, 6:14 PM
Regarding that tent:

Hotlights are great because they provide a lot of light for cheap. Plus, they are easier for people to use than electronic flashes (what you see is what you get). HOWEVER, they are also (as the name implies) hot.

VERY VERY HOT.

You can catch fabric on fire in no time with those lights. That's not to say you can't use them safely. But like anything dangerous in the shop, don't leave them running unattended.

Roger Chandler
08-20-2010, 6:19 PM
I was looking at the photos again... How often does the maid come in and clean your shop? I've eaten in lots of places that aren't as clean.

David,

I am almost jealous of his nice roomy clean shop. Mine would be that clean if I had room to put all the the finishes, power tools, jigs and whatever one uses to do woodworking.

I need organizational space, to get the clutter off my table saw, bandsaw[s] drum sander, radial arm, etc,etc, etc. I do vacuum regularly, and everytime I go to use one of my big tools, I have to move a bunch of stuff just go get it so I can use it, then for the next operation, move all of it back where it was :eek:

Really makes for a unproductive use of time and energy!

While I do dirty it up with sawdust and curlees, I do get it up after every project........I hate trying to work in a dirty cluttered environment! Some of it is unavoidable because my shop building is only 14x20.

Peter Hay in Aus
08-20-2010, 6:30 PM
John,

I have a U Beaut proffessional Dome covered in Rip Stop parachute material I will now use, I figured it needed a generator to light it properly and you just proved it.

What is the wattage of the lamps you use they sell here in Hardware stores pretty cheap.?At the moment I use a conduit frame no cover sitting on foam board with a largest available power saver fluro either side the lamps rated about 5000 kelvin.

Regards Peter.

Jack Mincey
08-20-2010, 6:40 PM
Looks like a good thread! How do turners use their table saws? It would take me 30 minutes to clean the turnings and turning stuff off mine so that it could ever be used.
Jack

David E Keller
08-20-2010, 6:41 PM
Looks like a good thread! How do turners use their table saws? It would take me 30 minutes to clean the turnings and turning stuff off mine so that it could ever be used.
Jack

Mine is worse than John's... Of course, my whole shop looks worse than John's.:(

John Keeton
08-20-2010, 7:58 PM
Gary Z - that lifeline may have worked in December! It is hopeless at this point - I have been sucked to the very pit of this vortex!!:D
I was looking at the photos again... How often does the maid come in and clean your shop? I've eaten in lots of places that aren't as clean.David, along with all of my other faults, I am a neatnik when it comes to the shop. I do have a few things sitting around, but I have stored in drawers and cabinets nearly everything that will fit.

HOWEVER, they are also (as the name implies) hot.

VERY VERY HOT.Josh, I have had these lights for years, and rest assured I am very careful with that. I don't even turn them on until I have everything in place and ready to shoot the pics. I shoot quickly, and immediately turn them off. I wouldn't think of walking out of the shop with them on.

JackJack, I recall the pic of your saw from the interview!!:eek::D

Mine actually does stay available. My photo tent is broken down after a pic session, and it has its own home, along with the lights. I keep the gradient background in its original tube.

Jon Lanier
08-20-2010, 10:52 PM
In less than a year, do you see what has happened to your relationship with your tablesaw?!:D

Rolling on the Floor Laughing.... what a hoot! :D

Chris Stolicky
08-21-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't consider myself much of a flat boarder, but I would be willing to trade you a nice sturdy table for that saw! :D

Jay MacDougall
08-21-2010, 2:46 PM
Ok, I have a stupid question. Where did you get the graduated color backdrop thingy for your photo tent?

David DeCristoforo
08-21-2010, 4:06 PM
"...Where did you get the graduated color backdrop thingy..."

Search for "varitone photo backdrop". There's tons of vendors...

John Keeton
08-21-2010, 5:15 PM
Ok, I have a stupid question. Where did you get the graduated color backdrop thingy for your photo tent?Jay, the best price I found, and the vendor used by several on the creek, is Phototechinc.com (http://www.phototechinc.com/graduate.htm) and I use #39. Steve Schlumpf recommended this vendor, and I was very pleased with the product, service and price.

Fred Perreault
08-21-2010, 7:37 PM
John,
Nice "tent", very nice goblet thingy(?), and a remarkably pristine shop. What a show-off.

Bruce Page
08-21-2010, 11:35 PM

I was thinkin' the same thing David... ;)

Nice tent John but what did the finished picture look like?

Dennis Peacock
08-22-2010, 7:05 AM
Nice photo tent John....but the table you have for your turnings and your photo tent is nice and sturdy. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll get in my shop when cooler weather arrives and see if I have a table like that under my turnings. :D

John Keeton
08-22-2010, 7:12 AM
I was thinkin' the same thing David... ;)

Nice tent John but what did the finished picture look like?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=149094&thumb=1&d=1272225692 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=149094&d=1272225692)

John Hart
08-22-2010, 8:48 AM
What I can't figure out is why you get such nice pictures? I built a special photobooth with all the lights, the shrouds, a great camera, nice backdrop...and I STILL can't take a decent picture.:o

Maybe I should put my booth on the tablesaw.:confused:

John Keeton
08-22-2010, 8:55 AM
Hart, it may be the tablesaw, but I am betting the secret is the blue styrofoam in the windows!!:D :D Not sure why, but it seems to be the only difference in our setups!:confused:

Well, of course, there is the difference that I am using a CHEAP camera!:cool:

Roger Chandler
08-22-2010, 9:22 AM
Hart, it may be the tablesaw, but I am betting the secret is the blue styrofoam in the windows!!:D :D Not sure why, but it seems to be the only difference in our setups!:confused:

Well, of course, there is the difference that I am using a CHEAP camera!:cool:

Rub it in John!

I will tell ya this, that if Hart's work in photography equals his work on the AW website, He doesn't have a thing to be embarrassed about!

That is one nice website!