PDA

View Full Version : It aint Oak but...

Christopher K. Hartley
08-20-2010, 2:21 PM
A while back my wife's cousin's son in Oklahoma gave me some large and small Black Walnut logs. When I saw them I thought they would just be firewood quality but just the other day I decided to cut into them and much to my surprise the secret unfolded. Wa-la! Beautiful bowl blanks. Now, I know it isn't my beloved Oak, but I couldn't help but think of Andy's walnut bowl and what I could do with these.:):cool:

Steve Schlumpf
08-20-2010, 2:48 PM
Chris - congrats on all that beautiful Walnut!

You could always do one of those Mark Cothren style Walnut NE bowls! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it! Great color!

Karl Card
08-20-2010, 2:52 PM
you gotta love it when it isnt what you expected but sometimes better...

Leo Van Der Loo
08-20-2010, 3:24 PM
Looks pretty good from here Chris, just get that stuff out of the sun before it self-destructs, and wondering what shapes are going to come out of these pieces, better get to work on it ;) :D

Matt Newton
08-20-2010, 3:30 PM
If you want to trade that for some of your "beloved oak" I'll be happy to give that horrible walnut a happy home.:rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
08-20-2010, 4:17 PM
I'm feelin' better already.

Tom Sherman
08-20-2010, 5:03 PM
Chris you should turn an OAK bowl and put it on a pedestal from the walnut just for Andy.

Pete Jordan
08-20-2010, 5:12 PM
Looks like dark oak to me.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-20-2010, 7:38 PM
So many forms so little time...Only in the sun for the picture...I have achieved my life ambition...making Andy feel good...Yah!!:D Trade; hmm, what an idea, actually I've been dreaming up a plan for that.:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
08-20-2010, 8:52 PM
Chris that is some good looking walnut. Should make some really nice bowls. I just got 7 logs 20" and larger about 7' long. Can't wait to get after it. Also make the shop smell real good.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-20-2010, 8:59 PM
Chris that is some good looking walnut. Should make some really nice bowls. I just got 7 logs 20" and larger about 7' long. Can't wait to get after it. Also make the shop smell real good.That is a ton of wood Bernie, is it walnut also?:confused:

Bernie Weishapl
08-20-2010, 10:22 PM
That is a ton of wood Bernie, is it walnut also?:confused:

Yep it is Chris. 52 bowl blanks cut, sealed and I am a tired puppy.