PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tool recommendations

Keith Cope
12-11-2004, 9:59 AM
I'll soon have the old lathe up and running and ready to get started in the spinny stuff...my big unanswered question is what to do for tools? I'm planning to turn primarily bowls/vessels and am looking to get appropriate tools for the job. I want good quality, not junk, but I'm wary of big sets of tools lest I get a couple that I'll never use. Any recommendations for a newbie on assembling a decent, basic set of tools? I'll also need a sharpening system as well. At this point, I'm hoping to get it up and running by end of January, so I have some time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Keith

Charles McKinley
12-12-2004, 1:43 AM
Hi Kieth,

Get the Wolverine Jig system. It give you great repeatability and has a very short learning curve. I have it on a Woodcrft 1750 rpm 8" grinder. They recomend a 3450 rpm 8".

Tools????? For spindle work I started out with the HSS $40 Harbor freight set. I have a Jet 1236 and was told a 3/8 bowl gouge was about right for it. I have the Crown Powdered Metal gouge that was reground to the fingernail profile.

I don't have a clue for hollow forms. I haven't made it there yet.

I highly recommend taking a couple of classes to help figure out what you will need and prevent bad habits. Bill Grumbine's bowl turning video is great!

Keith Cope
12-12-2004, 8:53 AM
Thanks for the input, Chuck!

The class suggestion is a good idea; I'll check the Woodcraft schedule and see what they have in the near future. Is the video you mentioned readily available or is there a specific source that I'd need to purchase it from?

Robert Grady
12-12-2004, 9:07 AM
Home Depot has been clearing out the Delta 8 pc HSS set for $34.00. I also second the Wolverine jig for sharpening. The ease of use is totally amazing

Jim Becker
12-12-2004, 9:10 AM
Keith, for bowls, I suggest you start out with a 3/8" bowl gouge a 1/2" round nose scraper and a diamond parting tool and add a 1/2"-slash-5/8" bowl gouge (Ellsworth or similar) with a side grind as the size of your work increases over about 6". Hold off on the hollow vessel thing until you are very comfortable with the tools you have. Hollowing requires very different techiques and tools. I also recommend you get Bill Grumbine's new DVD as it is about the best turning tutorial I've ever seen...well paced, comprehensive, entertaining, etc.

Sorby, Crown, Packard, Artisan, etc., are all good tools for the money and are of high quality. Don't forget you need safety gear (face shield plus safety glasses) as well as sharpening gear.

Keith Cope
12-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'll try to track down Bill's DVD ASAP and take a look. I've just discovered that the woodworking show is coming to town in early Feb; that will be good timing to pick up the tools and get started! My big task in the interim is installing the 220V circuit and getting 'the beast' up and running...oh, and the flatwork that LOML is expecting to be done soon! Second of 2 bathroom cabinets, I think she's had enough of the plastic drawer unit!

Jim Becker
12-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Keith, I was remiss in my previous not to mention you should seek out your local AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) (American Association of Woodturners) chapter, attend the meetings and join the organization. You will find lots of mentoring that way which is a great way to learn the finer points of turning.

Keith Cope
12-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Good suggestion! Thanks for the link. Looks like a fine organization. Plus, they meet at Woodcraft...how convenient. Never hurts to have a reason to make that trip!

Mark Stutz
12-12-2004, 2:17 PM
Keith,
Welcome to the Creek from another St. Louisian. (I think that's a word :confused: ) I highly recommend the weekend class at Woodcraft. I took it even before getting the lathe. Bought it that same weekend. :D
I don't remember seeing more than one or two vendors that had turning tools at last years show. Either that or they didn't have much so I didn't see them. I got mine at Woodcraft. They periodically have a sale. If you use a grinding jig of some kind you won't have to worry about grinding the tool away, so I went with good tools from the start and bought them as I had a need.

Keith Cope
12-12-2004, 5:42 PM
Thanks, Mark. I think the Woodcraft class and the AAW group are both things I'd like to do. I've sort of stumbled on it the other way--got an incredible deal on a big old Oliver lathe and now I have to do something with it! I recall seeing the folks from the Woodturner's catalog at the show last year, but you're right, it was somewhat slim pickin's otherwise. Fortunately, I'm not in a big hurry so I can take some time and do it right the first time. The biggest challenge is selling it in to management...she's coming around though! ;)

Charles McKinley
12-12-2004, 9:25 PM
Hi Kieth,

Bill Grumbine posts here. Go to the top of the screen and click on "Members List" It is done by firts name. Find Bill Grumbine Click on him and a link to his website should be one of the options that comes up.

wonderfulwood.com is Bill's site. If posting it this way violates SMC rules please delete the post.

Keith Cope
12-14-2004, 9:06 PM
Here we go...ordering Bill's DVD first thing, then I'll finish getting the old Oliver ready for action and get the rest of the gear. Looks like I'm almost to the point of no return...thanks to all who offered suggestions and advice. I'll let you know how things are working in a few weeks. Have to finish up my 'flatland' project first though to keep the peace! ;)