PDA

View Full Version : Sassafras "no bark" NE

Mark Cothren
08-20-2010, 9:43 AM
I picked up this one piece of wood a few weeks back from a tree that had blown down in the back yard of an elderly woman. Her great niece told me about the tree and hooked me up to collect the wood (she told me it was Maple :rolleyes:). Anyway, the tree was hollow and what wood was there had badly deteriorated. I managed to find one decent piece of wood and this was it. I just did a quick and dirty NE - the bark on the wood was fantastic! But as soon as I started roughing it out I realized the bark was not going to survive. So when it all came off I ended up lightly sanding the edge down to the wood. Before I ended sanding (240 grit) I took a wire brush to it and gave it a "ribbed" feel/look. I like the texture it gave it.

This is my first piece of sassafras to turn. I enjoy the smell, but it really is not a very enjoyable wood to turn. Very stringy and hard to get a clean cut. I'm not sure if this is typical of the wood, but I'd probably turn more of it if I get another chance.

All comments/critiques/suggestions/opinions welcomed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/SassafrasNE01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/SassafrasNE02.jpg

Stephen Massman
08-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Great looking bowl and pics. What do you use for a photo tent and also to place the font on the pics.

Bernie Weishapl
08-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Mark that is a beauty. I have turned quite a few sassafras pieces and haven't had much problems with it except for some soft piece I obtained. I love the smell while turning.

Joe Aliperti
08-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Very nice bowl!

I've never turned Sassafras before, but I know the leaves smell like Lemon Froot Loops.

charlie knighton
08-20-2010, 12:02 PM
very nice....

Christopher K. Hartley
08-20-2010, 1:10 PM
Mark, I like the effect of this bowl. Well worth the effort. The edge works for me. Great job.:)

John Keeton
08-20-2010, 1:44 PM
Mark, great form on this one!! I had a couple pieces of sassafras, and early on I turned one in a NE - very thin, and then promptly sanded it TOOO thin. I had a similar experience - stringy, and difficult to get a good finish.

But, it does have some very nice character, and you certainly used that to your advantage with this piece!

Steve Schlumpf
08-20-2010, 1:53 PM
Good looking bowl Mark! Great form! To bad about the bark but looks great as is!

Mark Cothren
08-20-2010, 2:13 PM
What do you use for a photo tent and also to place the font on the pics.

Stephen, I have a 30" photo cube I picked up off e-bay back a few years ago. I add the text into the pic with the image editor that I use. There's an "insert text" option.

David E Keller
08-20-2010, 4:34 PM
That looks really good. The dark band along one side really makes the piece for me. I don't have any experience with sassafras, but after reading what you and John wrote, I'm not sure I'm missing anything. Great photos, too.

brian watts
08-20-2010, 6:52 PM
good looking bowl and pics.

James Roberts
08-20-2010, 8:37 PM
I like the way this turned out for you. Sassafras may be a somewhat plain grain wood but you brought out a very nice piece. I think I have a sassafras blank somewhere in the garage. Just what I needed, more inspiration.