PDA

View Full Version : No $$$$ - But had a good time!

John Keeton
08-20-2010, 7:33 AM
Last night was my first public "gathering" - a reception at our local art guild at which I was one of the featured artists. Lots of Ooohs and Ahhhs, but no money!! I really didn't expect any sales - this is a relatively small community and certainly not a center for the arts!

But, it did give me the experience of mingling with folks as an "artist" and not a lawyer. I knew 95% of the people that came, and I think nearly all of them came because they couldn't believe it was me!!

So, I suspect a lot were just curious - but, everyone was very complimentary of my work.

Had a good time, and gave me some feel for what these events are like.

BTW, Ms. Keeton thought it was fun to take my pic between two normal sized guys! Actually, they are each 8'3", and I am 6'4"!!:D:D;)

Roger Chandler
08-20-2010, 7:47 AM
"Why darling, haven't you gotten your Keeton yet?" :D

I predict in the world of Art collectors, that the "Keeton Collection" will become all the rage, and THE one to have a piece of.

It might take a bit of time to gain some notoriety in those circles, but you can't stop the sun from rising, nor a rising star! :D

Fantastic John! Looks like a wonderful gathering and a lot of fun. Tell Mrs. K. we appreciate her being the shutter bug for this most auspicious event.

That is a really nice display of your work, John. It deserved no less!

bobby lynn
08-20-2010, 7:58 AM
No doubt when the right people come through you will have some sells.
The products are to unique not to sell.
Suffice it to say,Ms. Keeton got the runt of the litter.:D:D:D

David Woodruff
08-20-2010, 8:04 AM
Having been to a number of these I still remember the first one. It is a memorable experience and I share your joy and enthusiasm. I think I sold a piece, not sure, I will need to ask my wife. The $$ I guess are not the main thing. Probably like you I don't do it for the money, fortunately.

Fred Perreault
08-20-2010, 8:14 AM
John,
You gave a great explanation of your guild reception. Having been know mostly as a heavy equipment contractor/operator for decades, and usually covered in dirt, grease and/or deisel fuel, it was interesting how my friends viewed me and my results creating modest utility items on the lathe. Yes, my friends who thought of me and my industry as somewhat crude have come to embrace my "stuff". And the more than 180 sales in a couple of years has softened the "blow" to my feelings.
By the way John, despite the fact that you are also a lawyer, Keeton's Korner is always my first visit on the turning forum. And did you know that they sell elavator shoes for the height challenged?

John Keeton
08-20-2010, 8:25 AM
Thanks, guys, for your encouraging comments!! I did have a lot of fun, though starting at 5 pm, no supper, and winding up at 9 pm was probably not the best of plans!
Suffice it to say,Ms. Keeton got the runt of the litter.:D:D:DBobby, she felt sorry for me! Besides, ain't the runt of the litter always the cutest?!?!:o:rolleyes::D

And did you know that they sell elavator shoes for the height challenged?Fred, you missed the part about those guys being 8'3"!!!!:)

Alan Trout
08-20-2010, 8:53 AM
Looks like a fun event. Good luck with you future sales.

Alan

David E Keller
08-20-2010, 9:25 AM
I'm glad you had an enjoyable time. Let's see... A small case of the nerves, no solid food, and all the wine you can drink? I want to see the photos Mrs. Keeton took of you with the lampshade on your head!:D:D:D

Congratulations on the first of many!

Andy Hoyt
08-20-2010, 9:31 AM
Monsieur Artiste! Où est votre béret?

Bernie Weishapl
08-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Looks like a good time was had by all especially you John.

By the way I thought you told me you were 6' 6"???:D:rolleyes:;)

Paul Douglass
08-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Congrats on it all John. Don't worry about the height, Look at the shape you are in compared to the other two and as long as your feet reach the ground all is okay. I can say this because we are the same height. I wish I had the same amount of hair and talent as you.

David DeCristoforo
08-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Awright. That's it. I'm growin' my hair long. And I'm getting a law degree too.

I have to say that, while I'm happy to see you getting recognition for your superb efforts, that does not look like a "proper venue" for your work. I know you have to start somewhere but your stuff belongs in a gallery in NY or SF. Your work is "world class" and needs to be presented in a much "bigger pond". I hope this does not sound like I'm being denigrating here because that is not my intent at all. I just think your work belongs in some place like the Renwick. It's that good.

Steve Schlumpf
08-20-2010, 11:45 AM
John - sure looks like you enjoyed yourself! Please be sure to thank your wife for taking all the photos!

You just never know about sales - someone could always come back later and pick something up or even get in touch with you for a commissioned piece! The big thing is that you put yourself out there as an artist - and had fun!

Thanks for sharing your evening with us!

Paul Douglass
08-20-2010, 11:59 AM
YA, how did you get Dolly to take all those pictures?

charlie knighton
08-20-2010, 12:05 PM
the first of many i hope

Mark Hubl
08-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Looks like a good time was had. Congrats on the reception going well, it is rewarding to have non turner types look at and appreciate your work. Maybe the register will ring next time.

Rob Cunningham
08-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Looks like an enjoyable evening. Now that people have seen your work, the word will spread and sales will follow.

gary Zimmel
08-20-2010, 1:09 PM
Looks like the event was a success John... Congrats!
And I agree with David D. and getting some pieces to New York.
But in saying that I think you should send we a couple of pieces and I will get them in a small gallery up here.
That way you can say you have "International Exposure"....

Leo Van Der Loo
08-20-2010, 3:14 PM
John you got your feet wet here, and yes we all have to start somewhere, it's also good to be known in YOUR community as an artist, you never know about connections there also.
But I'm also in Davids school of thinking, in that you should be in a "high-end" gallery rather than a gallery at your local small community, (not trying to take anything away from your community either), you will have to invest some time into getting/making some connection to make the initial "let me show you what I have/make" to a upscale Gallery in a larger affluent center, good luck :-))

Oh and like me good things come in small packages :D :D :D

Roger Chandler
08-20-2010, 4:08 PM
John you got your feet wet here, and yes we all have to start somewhere, it's also good to be known in YOUR community as an artist, you never know about connections there also.
But I'm also in Davids school of thinking, in that you should be in a "high-end" gallery rather than a gallery at your local small community, (not trying to take anything away from your community either), you will have to invest some time into getting/making some connection to make the initial "let me show you what I have/make" to a upscale Gallery in a larger affluent center, good luck :-))

Oh and like me good things come in small packages :D :D :D

Leo,

Putting his turned art in a gallery far away, would almost be like your baby being far away, and you not knowing how its doing or be able to talk to it........I don't know if a parent could stand it for long, or an artist for that matter........:D:D;)

Of course, I've never had a piece in a gallery, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about either! :o:D

I know this, that John's work is too nice to be kept hidden away in his own home........the world does need to see it on display!

That brings me to a question.......is there some sort of trade journal that the galleries have that lists the display pieces, and do the galleries perhaps bid on pieces or is it up to the individual gallery owner to just make an inquiry if he/she hears of some exceptional piece of work, or an artist that is up and coming?

Leo Van Der Loo
08-20-2010, 4:22 PM
Roger I don't know what all there is available in this field, I always have found by initial calling and then taking my pieces to show that I was able to get my pieces in the galleries I went to.
I always have used a contract and I'm sure John knows his way around in that regard that unless the piece is returned into the same state as it was initially it is considered sold, and until the cheque is cast the piece remains his property.
Also each piece is numbered and photographed if it is for sale and signed in or out as maybe the case.
Close or far away is all the same to me, some of my pieces are in all parts of the world but for S. America and China for all I know there are some there as well.

Roger Chandler
08-20-2010, 4:31 PM
Roger I don't know what all there is available in this field, I always have found by initial calling and then taking my pieces to show that I was able to get my pieces in the galleries I went to.
I always have used a contract and I'm sure John knows his way around in that regard that unless the piece is returned into the same state as it was initially it is considered sold, and until the cheque is cast the piece remains his property.
Also each piece is numbered and photographed if it is for sale and signed in or out as maybe the case.
Close or far away is all the same to me, some of my pieces are in all parts of the world but for S. America and China for all I know there are some there as well.

Thanks Leo,

Not having experience in this area, it would be nice to find out what the norm is for gallery showings,etc.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-20-2010, 4:39 PM
They are all over the place Roger, but depending how hungry they are for your stuff there's always room for discussions on that ;-))

Tom Sherman
08-20-2010, 4:48 PM
Congratulations John, the wheel is now turning time will tell what's next.

Curt Fuller
08-20-2010, 5:10 PM
Congratulations John. I would have enjoyed seeing you and your work all in one place.

Peter Hay in Aus
08-20-2010, 7:05 PM
John,

I join with those that admire your work as well as the exposure created Xmas is nigh a time for those viewers to remember your work, where you live and aquire those precious items for family , friends and Industry Gifts.

Have success Peter.

John Keeton
08-20-2010, 7:48 PM
You all are great!! I really appreciate the support, and the ideas. Leo, as always, your experience is invaluable - thanks!

I spent some time today putting together a photo portfolio to take around to some galleries next week in the Lexington area - New York may be a stretch at this point!!;) Hopefully, I get some acceptable responses.

Thanks, again - and I will certainly gloat on my first sale!! The creek will be the first to know!

Michael James
08-20-2010, 8:15 PM
Mr. Keeton sir:
You have done an unbelievable job in the past yr, sorta like you were born to turn wood. As you probably know, and I apologize for preaching to the choir here, talent only gets you in the game. Short version of success is opportunity intersecting with preparedness. In the entertainment world, esp your own Nashville. You know what I mean.
I think you should just merrily turn away and go to the upscale shows you would like to visit and hang out with the artists whose work you admiire. Charge premium prices so they know you're "in the club", and always make sure you pour more drinks for others than you drink, if you catch my drift.
Your work is not mediocre, and there is no sense in wading through the herd. Just keep doing what you're doing and get all the exposure you feel like getting. The $$ will follow, amigo.
You've been a showman all your life.. different venue thats all!
Respectfully,
Michael

Roger Chandler
08-20-2010, 8:19 PM
You all are great!! I really appreciate the support, and the ideas. Leo, as always, your experience is invaluable - thanks!

I spent some time today putting together a photo portfolio to take around to some galleries next week in the Lexington area - New York may be a stretch at this point!!;) Hopefully, I get some acceptable responses.

Thanks, again - and I will certainly gloat on my first sale!! The creek will be the first to know!

John, that photo portfolio could be sent to galleries across the country,by means of the internet, or even off this forum if that would not violate the rules for the mods.

A lot of galleries could see your work first hand at one time with just a good email list...........Just an idea. :)

James Roberts
08-20-2010, 8:27 PM
Congratulations John on your big night. I am sure that your work could stand alone in a far bigger gallery than your first showing however, I am happy and humbled to have followed your "rise to fame" and admire the beautiful pieces you have made right here at the Creek. Keep 'em coming and best of luck in your future shows.

William Hutchinson
08-20-2010, 9:03 PM
You defiantly have the talent, we just got to finesse the artist image. Is it going to be a back-country bohemian, unkempt urban avant-garde or something along the lines of a Dali's quirky sophistication. I think with a touch of Ren Wax you could fashion your whiskers to look like finials.:D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Dali.jpg

John Keeton
08-20-2010, 9:21 PM
James, thanks for your words of encouragement.
You've been a showman all your life.. different venue thats all!
Respectfully,
MichaelMichael, that's a much nicer way of putting it than what I am accustomed to hearing!;) Thanks!!:)

I think with the lite touch of Ren Wax you could fashion your whiskers to look like finials.:DNow, there is an idea!!:D