PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Glue

Ernie DeMartino
08-20-2010, 6:50 AM
Is there a solution for removing acrylic glue spots (Weld on 4) from a fabrication gone wrong? Basically there is one small mark where the glue spilled onto the acrylic. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Mike Null
08-20-2010, 7:09 AM
Ernie

It depends on how deep the mark is. If it's just a surface blemish then Novus polishes 1, 2 and 3 will achieve what you want.

If it's a little deeper you can try buffing it out with a Dremel, buffing wheel and compound. You want to be careful of the speed as you can easily melt the acrylic.

If I notice a spill when cementing acrylics I've been able to remove the spot with a rag and dna. But that has to be done immediately.

Bruce Clumpner
08-22-2010, 5:37 PM
Speaking of needing to clean up after a mis-placed drop of solvent.
I'm new to using solvent to join plexi, and am always worried about spills and other over-flows incidents as you join two pieces together.

What techniques can anyone share to help insure a cleaner assembly? In anyone's experience, is there a gel or thicker version of solvent to prevent those pesky runs?

Thanks as always, Creekers are the best!

Mike Null
08-22-2010, 5:57 PM
Bruce

Tap Plastics has a number of helpful videos. http://www.tapplastics.com/info/video.php

art baylor
08-22-2010, 10:59 PM
practice, practice, practice helps a lot.
Art