PDA

View Full Version : My Belt Sander Search is over

Michael Simpson Virgina
08-20-2010, 2:42 AM
I cant tell you how many belt sanders I have tried in the last 6 months.

Brands like
Dewalt, PorterCable, Bosch, Ridgid, Milwaukee, Riobi, Hitachi

They all had various issues that I just could not deal with. Some just would not track. Others would get so hot you could not hold them. Some were just so darn big and unballanced I felt like I was using a bench belt sander turned upside down.

I got my hands on a Makita 9920 3x24 sander and after using for an hour or so I found myself looking for wood in my scrap bin to sand. This sander tracks so well that I took it out of the box turned it on and that belt position has not moved at all. I even changed the belt to a 120 grit and with no adjustments it was perfect.

I have used other sanders with automatic tracking and they have been problematic Shreading the belt or ossillating.

I was hopping that Festool would come out with a US belt sander but I could wait no longer.

The Makita runs so smooth its my new baby :) (At least until I get my next tool)

Rick Markham
08-20-2010, 4:37 AM
I've had mine for probably 8 years... It's still as good as the day it came out of the box ;)

Harold Burrell
08-20-2010, 12:11 PM
I cant tell you how many belt sanders I have tried in the last 6 months.

Brands like
Dewalt, PorterCable, Bosch, Ridgid, Milwaukee, Riobi, Hitachi

They all had various issues that I just could not deal with. Some just would not track. Others would get so hot you could not hold them. Some were just so darn big and unballanced I felt like I was using a bench belt sander turned upside down.

I got my hands on a Makita 9920 3x24 sander and after using for an hour or so I found myself looking for wood in my scrap bin to sand. This sander tracks so well that I took it out of the box turned it on and that belt position has not moved at all. I even changed the belt to a 120 grit and with no adjustments it was perfect.

I have used other sanders with automatic tracking and they have been problematic Shreading the belt or ossillating.

I was hopping that Festool would come out with a US belt sander but I could wait no longer.

The Makita runs so smooth its my new baby :) (At least until I get my next tool)

Funny you should post this. Look what I just found:

http://elmira.craigslist.org/tls/1900188938.html

I pick it up Monday. :D

Jerome Hanby
08-20-2010, 1:11 PM
I had all kinds of problems using a belt sander, then I found a way to save a bunch of time...a source of pre-gouged and marred wood! :D

Michael Simpson Virgina
08-20-2010, 9:24 PM
Yep. I will keep an eye out for Makita on CL myself