PDA

View Full Version : Infill This #602?

Jim Koepke
08-20-2010, 12:41 AM
ebay item 330462376366

Looks like others are kind of going for it and running up the price.

jim

David Weaver
08-20-2010, 8:21 AM
Maybe. Hard to tell how much metal is still there with the frog still in.

I'm assuming you would be doing the infill as a solid piece and not laminating three pieces together to put a tote in the middle?

Not much to infill on the front. Perhaps leave the knob? It's easier to get to than a bun, anyway.

If you were going to infill it, I would do a solid one-piece infill and bed the iron around 55 degrees, replace the iron with a 3/16th 1 1/2 inch iron from ron hock (he had some when I built one of that size, and the one-off irons are *very* good ones) - or make your own of that size, and turn it into a single-iron plane so you can make the mouth "just so" - like 3 or 4 thousandths (not hard to do if you have a decent square, a scribe and some marking fluid).

File the mouth undersized and then when you're done, creep up on it.

Two reasons I would make it 55 degrees:
* it would be useful, especially with a mouth of several thousandths
* it would mitigate a little bit that a lot of iron is gone from the back end

Not too much cheek to work with, but enough if you can find a comfortable place to put a cross pin and do a lever cap of this type:

http://www.marcouplanes.co.nz/index.php/marcou-m12

How would you plan to build the plane at the mouth end so that the last bit of the iron is supported by metal? Add in some sort of bedding block?

James Taglienti
08-20-2010, 9:09 AM
if all youre after is the body, you might as well infill a #65 block plane or something, at least then you'd have an adjustable mouth. Also that plane probably won't go for real cheap as there are a number of rare parts on it.

george wilson
08-20-2010, 11:18 AM
I went to "The Tool Junkie" and saw several nice antique planes. Was trying to find a 602. An interesting site,though.