PDA

View Full Version : First (purposeful) Turning!

Dan Cannon
08-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Well, as sad as it may be, this is my first turning, aside from a couple "boppers" to test out the tools that came with my new-to-me lathe. and hopefully first of many bowls to come! I had a blast making this!

The wood is three layer glue-up of poplar lumber, overall dimension is about 5 1/2" x 2 1/2". Sanded through 600 grit, no finish (yet). I was disappointed with some of the tear-out, but will work to improve on that. Could partly be due to not having a grinder, or any other way to sharpen the tools yet. I couldn't make it to the last club meeting here, so I'll definitely be searching for someone to help make sure I'm using the tools right soon, in case I'm developing bad habits.

Best part was my son loved hangin in the shop with dad the whole time I was doing this. That's exactly how I'd envisioned this hobby, and hope that continues...cuz I'm hooked!

C&C more than welcome!

Leo Van Der Loo
08-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Don't be disappointed Dan, you did pretty good for a first bowl and Tulip Poplar isn't the easiest wood to turn either.
Make sure you keep your first one, so you can look back at how you did in a year or two, have fun and take care ;-))

Michael James
08-19-2010, 11:27 PM
You just have to go for it, but you will find that the grinder is going to turn your experience into a whole sweeter deal. Sharp tools cut cleaner, are safer....and doggone it...funner!
Remember safety 1st.... always more wood to turn tomorrow.
michael

Roger Chandler
08-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Really nice Dan! For a first that is a very nice form, and to have your son there with you taking it all in, does not get much better!

gary Zimmel
08-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Nice work on the first of many Dan. They will only get better..

Bernie Weishapl
08-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Ditto what Leo said. Sign and date it. Keep it for comparison down the road a year or so from now. Nice first bowl by the way.

Joe Shinall
08-20-2010, 1:45 AM
Very nice job on the first bowl. Mine was about an inch thick and tool marks and tearout like you wouldn't believe. And I thought I actually did kinda good.

Looking forward to seeing many more. It's fun, exciting, and the best way to kill some time.

Thomas Canfield
08-20-2010, 6:05 AM
Nice looking 1st bowl and the project with son looking on makes it even more special. Hopefully you can find a local turning club to help you get further into this bad habit and even find a source of some green wood. You may need to get some green blanks from local turners depending on your other tools and lathe, but green wood is really nice to start practicing your cuts and developing your skills.

John Keeton
08-20-2010, 6:32 AM
Dan, that is actually a very good job! You picked a tough wood for your first one - as Leo says, poplar can be tricky to turn. It is soft, and extra sharp tools are required, so I am guessing that is more the problem than your tool technique.

Fun, ain't it!!:D

Dan Cannon
08-20-2010, 8:30 AM
Thanks for all the encouraging words guys! I'm ready for the next one, but I think the first thing I need to do, like some of you mentioned, is go get a good grinder and maybe a sharpening jig...and some green wood!
Thanks again, this is a blast!

Dan

James Roberts
08-21-2010, 8:04 PM
Well done Dan, for your first bowl. Looking forward to more of your work. You're right, it is a blast!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
08-21-2010, 8:24 PM
What everyone else said . . .

And

I really like that shape. These things are so subjective. There are some things I've seen that I thought "ho-hum" and other, more seasoned turners raved about. Visa-versa as well.

In this case, to my eye, the shape of the bowl has a real nice flow to it.

What finish are you going to use?

Any? None?

Keep having fun . . . :D

Mike Cruz
08-21-2010, 8:27 PM
From one "one bowler" to another, nice job! Funny that there have been so many that have said that Poplar is tough to turn. I wouldn't have thought so, BUT I used to do a lot of carving in poplar (and cherry) and this brings back some old memories...not great ones either. Yeah, poplar can get very punky in spots and not carve well, either. So, I suppose that it transfers to turning. If you decide to turn more of it in the future, maybe picking the most dense stuff you can find would be helpful. The lighter (in weight) stuff seems to be more difficult. Oh, and yes to the sharp tools thing...very important.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-21-2010, 9:32 PM
Dan, I like the bowl and for your first it is well done. You probably see things to improve upon that the photos don't show us but that is all a part of growing in this hobby. You have experienced the sweetest part by far, however; the Father and Son time and growing appreciation for the art together.:)

Bill Bulloch
08-21-2010, 9:50 PM
Not too shabby for your first and with dull tools too. My first bowl was glued up Poplar, also. Then, glued up Red Oak. Made a few like that before I got my soom green wood to play with. Keep gluing up your wood and it will not be long before you are segmenting.

Keep em coming.

David DeCristoforo
08-21-2010, 10:38 PM
OK... lets see. First bowl... dull tools... crappy wood... that's three strikes against you right there. And yet, there is your bowl. Not looking perfect but very nicely done nonetheless. Before you go any further, you need to get a good sharpening system. More important than expensive tools, chucks or any other accoutrement you can invest in. You will undoubtedly discover, as many have (myself included) a million things you will need. But sharp tools are simply the most important thing. Don't put that off any longer than you have to.

Steve Schlumpf
08-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Dan - Welcome to the Vortex!

David E Keller
08-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Great job, Dan! That bowl is an order of magnitude better than the first dozen or so pieces that I destroyed on my first lathe. Looking forward to seeing #2!