PDA

View Full Version : New to Turning Part Two

Mike Rushing
08-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks to all that responded to my post I am going to ordering the Delta 46-460 if you have any suggestions on where to order from please let me know. I would also like to know if there is anything else I may need to order. I found a Starter pen kit from rockler.com and would like to know if this is a good kit or would you recommend something else. I will try and get by Harbor Freight this weekend to get the turning tools. Will a bench grinder be fine for sharpening the tools or do I need to get a low speed one?

Roger Chandler
08-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Tool Nut has great prices and service. Many here have ordered from them and have gotten the best of customer service.

you are not likely to find a better price anywhere else!

WWW.toolnut.com (http://WWW.toolnut.com)

Bernie Weishapl
08-20-2010, 12:10 AM
I agree with Roger on Tool Nut. A slow speed grinder with the wolverine jig is what most folks have for sharpening.

David E Keller
08-20-2010, 9:39 AM
I think you will really enjoy that lathe... There was a good review on it in Woodturning design recently. I believe it comes with a chuck, but if it doesn't, you'll probably want one. You don't have to have a slow speed grinder, but most folks opt for one. The wolverine system from oneway has been really good for me and many others... Sharp tools and the ability to reproduce the same profile are both necessities for happy turning IMHO.

Looking forward to seeing your setup.

wes murphy
08-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Befgorfe I would anything from Rockler, I would check Craft Supplies, USA (http://woodturnerscatalog.com/)or PSI (http://www.pennstateind.com/) for pen kits.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Mike, sounds like you are almost ready to produce lots of curlies. When I first started I used HF tools and sharpened with a bench grinder until I had the $$ to get Bernie's recommendation. I really wanted something other than the wolverine but it just wasn't available at that time. I would double check the HF tools and go for the 8 Piece High Speed Steel Turning Set with the red handles (shown below.) I have used all the types they carry and these are the best by far. Have fun and let us see your projects even if you don't think they are good.:)

Bill Bulloch
08-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Mike, another options for where to purchase your Delta 45-460 is Lowes. They will probably have to special order it for you, they did mine. If you can get it with one of those 10% off deals they offer all the time, and combine it with thier 6 months same as cash deal, you'll be turning on the cheap -- well sort-of. Lathe: $599.00, Options: Priceless.

Mike Rushing
08-21-2010, 11:39 AM
They have a lathe on CL it is a JML-1014IVS lathe only for 350 that sounds a little high for something that is 2 years old should I go look at it or stay with the plan of the delta 46-460. Is there anywhere that has them less than 599 or do they ever go on sell.