PDA

View Full Version : Hanging wood storage unit

Greg Roberts
08-19-2010, 10:19 PM
I waited a year before building this in my shop, to see what space I needed for storage.

Originally, my table saw fit under this, but with the new Felder K700S, I don't think it's going to fit under there! So I'll have to come up with some other use for the space underneath.

But it's been a very handy storage center in my shop, so I thought I'd share it with the group.

The unit is 8' long, 4' tall, and 2' deep. It hangs on cleats attached to the wall. Long trim fits up top, 8' material fits in the back, 4' material in the side, 2' material in the side bottom, and smaller pieces in the front cubby. Peg board for hanging stuff, and a nice big cabinet with spring hinge doors for hanging bulky or long items. The cabinet is open underneath.

Greg

http://www.voltiaudio.com/a/Storage cabinet.jpg

Kevin Gregoire
08-20-2010, 10:27 AM
nice job greg, looks like a very handy way to save space and get some wood organized!

Jim Rimmer
08-20-2010, 12:00 PM
I like it. May have to "steal" the idea.

Jerome Hanby
08-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Another possible steal here. Nice idea and timely for me. Thanks for posting!

russell lusthaus
08-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Great idea. I am going to steal it as well.

Matt Armstrong
08-20-2010, 12:42 PM
I've been looking for something like this. Short of maybe making use of the space on top, I'll be stealing this as well.

Jerome Hanby
08-20-2010, 1:07 PM
You know, if Jim's given name is James, does all this theft make us the James gang?

Thom Porterfield
08-20-2010, 4:37 PM
I like it.

Jerome: Yes.

Only thing that bothers me, is that if I were to be so highly organized, what would I do with all the resulting clear floor space? Walk around on it?

Jim Rimmer
08-20-2010, 4:55 PM
You know, if Jim's given name is James, does all this theft make us the James gang?
It is and I guess we are. :D

Greg Roberts
08-21-2010, 9:11 PM
If I were to build it again, there are a couple of things I would change. I would make the 8' sections in the back tall enough to accept 24" wide material. The other thing is I probably wouldn't go with spring hinges on the doors of the cabinet. I originally did that so they would stay shut, but they are a PIA to get into. I might also change the swing of both doors to be left outswing, just easier to get at in my setup.

Steal away . . . . .

Greg

Greg Roberts
08-21-2010, 9:19 PM
Here's another little thing I did to steal some more space. Instead of mounting these storage cabinets right against the wall, I spaced them out 6" and made it so I have a place to store about 6 sheets of 3/4" 4 x 8 plywood, plus more up top. The cabinets are 8' wide, and open at the other end just like this end.

Greg

http://www.voltiaudio.com/a/Mg40.jpg