PDA

View Full Version : This may not go over well, but...

Clisby Clark
08-19-2010, 9:47 PM
am I the only person who prefers the mechanism of my knuckle joint (#18 or 65) block planes to the wheel-type lockdown on the LN blocks? Granted I only have the Rabbeting Block from LN, but I would love to have the mass of the LV tool combined with the adjustments of my 18. Maybe I'll just spring some coin for a beefier blade and stick with the knuclers.

David Weaver
08-19-2010, 10:11 PM
If you can tolerate a tool made in china and the issue that nobody here has tried one out (that I know of), i think woodcraft's house line block planes are being made in knickle-cap style instead of similar to LN style now.

I've not seen them, no clue if they're any good.

Clisby Clark
08-19-2010, 10:21 PM
I think my shop would self-destruct if I used a Chi-com plane. My point was I would like to combine the mass/heft of the LN product with the adjustability of the 18.

Jim Koepke
08-19-2010, 11:31 PM
I have gotten used to all of them, but do like the lever style of the Stanley #60 & #65-1/2.

Like said, they all work fine when adjusted to my liking. The levers just take a half a turn and the blade can be adjusted while pushing along a test piece.

The knuckle cap is lifted about half way while making adjustments and the wheel cap is just backed off a little.

It would be kind of fun if there was a smaller knuckle cap to put on the #60 size planes.

jim

David Weaver
08-20-2010, 9:05 AM
I think my shop would self-destruct if I used a Chi-com plane. My point was I would like to combine the mass/heft of the LN product with the adjustability of the 18.

I can't disagree. The only chinese planes I have are mujis.

I don't think anyone is going to make a US-made knuckle-block plane any time soon.

In the meantime, you could probably stick on some lead wheelweights :D

Bill Houghton
08-20-2010, 2:51 PM
I've added LV's block plane irons to all my working block planes, and it definitely steps them up. I've slowly acquired mostly Sweetheart era block planes, which have good bedding for the irons, and, at this point, see no reason to buy an LV or LN block plane; mine are great.

I just wish Stanley had made a knuckle-joint version of the No. 60.

James Taglienti
08-22-2010, 8:41 PM
Couldn't you just pop a stanley lever cap onto your LN?