PDA

View Full Version : Just Another Pen Day

James Combs
08-19-2010, 9:15 PM
I got into a pen turning mood today and here are the results. Six gold slimlines in in various dress.

All the wood ones are finished in CA (6-8 coats). All six were polished with Hut Ultra Gloss and then waxed.

The first one is Butternut?? (someone tell me what Butternut is besides bread:D) courtesy of John Keaton form our creeker visit a week or so ago.

The second one I believe is Yellow Heart, right John? Again courtesy of John Keaton.

The third one is dressed in Ebony that I caught on sale at Rockler. Some large 1x1x6 pen blanks. Great for finials too so I got 10 of them at 2.99 each.

The fourth one is spalted holly. Again courtesy of John Keaton. This one here is one I was trying out a new detail tool on, hence all the groves.

The fifth one is blue acrylic that I had laying around.

And the last one is a black acrylic of some kind with a white streamy pattern in it. Again courtesy of John Keaton.

So John you can take credit for 4 of the six.:rolleyes: By the way I think I still got the best of the trade so start counting. Here is 4.

David E Keller
08-19-2010, 9:32 PM
Nice work, JD. They're all nice looking pens. If I had to pick one to steal, I'd take the black acrylic I think... Or maybe, I'd take them all!

Bernie Weishapl
08-19-2010, 9:39 PM
Nice group of pens JD. If I had to pick one the 4th would be mine.

brian watts
08-20-2010, 5:25 AM
nice looking pens

John Keeton
08-20-2010, 6:53 AM
Good work, JD!! That spalted holly really came out very nice! I believe the yellow wood is osage, but not sure. It was in with a bunch of stuff that was thrown in on a tool purchase.

Butternut is found in the north eastern quadrant of the US and up into Canada, but KY is getting close to the southern edge of its territory. Called white walnut a lot, and is getting harder to find. It is softer than walnut, lighter in color, but somewhat similar in grain appearance. I love working with it.

Roger Chandler
08-20-2010, 7:56 AM
Nice collection JD. I like the last one on the right, well I like all of them, but that one is elegant, and so is the spalted holly.

You do nice work JD!