PDA

View Full Version : Tall Broken Cup

Scott Hackler
08-19-2010, 9:14 PM
This was an experiment to use a bunch of sycamore limb bumps (like burls but usually hollow) I got with the sycamore haul I got a while back. About 7 1/4" tall. The cup portion is about 1/8" thick and missing a few pieces from a void or bug. Sycamore cup and walnut pedestal with Blo. I will give it a few coats of lacquer in a few days. Im not too pleased with the pedestal, but it was the first one of this type of form.

Comment away.... :)

Roger Chandler
08-19-2010, 9:20 PM
Really nice form and pretty wood! Too bad it broke, that was a nice turning :)

James Combs
08-19-2010, 9:23 PM
Nothing wrong with that pedestal. It looks to be a perfect match too me.

Dennis Ford
08-19-2010, 9:27 PM
If the broken refers to the missing piece of bowl, don't throw that away! I believe a few scallops in the bowl section could cut away the missing area - "design opportunity".

David E Keller
08-19-2010, 9:27 PM
I think you did well... especially for a first go. The cup is gorgeous! There's nothing wrong with the stem portion, but I'll tell you what I might consider on the next one. I think I'd make the bulb a bit thinner on the next one, and I might move that small bead that's above the bulb up to a position about 1/3 the way down from the cup. Of course, I might hate it if I did that because I've hated almost everything I've turned in the last week or so.:mad:

David DeCristoforo
08-19-2010, 9:33 PM
Looks good. But don't try to drink out of the broken side! The wood looks almost translucent.

Bernie Weishapl
08-19-2010, 9:37 PM
That is a good looking piece. Stem looks really nice and to bad about the broken piece.

Scott Hackler
08-19-2010, 10:25 PM
I guess my description wasn't quite good enough. I labeled it as "broken" but in reality, the missing piece was missing from the beginning. The bottom of the cup is riddled with a bug hole as well. As far as it looking translucent, thats an illusion from the picture. With the chunk missing I was afraid of loosing it by going any thinner than 1/8".

Leo Van Der Loo
08-19-2010, 11:15 PM
This was an experiment to use a bunch of sycamore limb bumps (like burls but usually hollow) I got with the sycamore haul I got a while back. About 7 1/4" tall. The cup portion is about 1/8" thick and missing a few pieces from a void or bug. Sycamore cup and walnut pedestal with Blo. I will give it a few coats of lacquer in a few days. Im not too pleased with the pedestal, but it was the first one of this type of form.

Comment away.... :)

I like it Scott :cool:, yes there are rules but they can be broken, like the 1/3 rule, but 1/3 of what ?, stem ? total ?
Turning the cup from a partial piece is not easy and I think the total of the sum is a good looking piece :D well done.

Jon Lanier
08-19-2010, 11:49 PM
That's not broken! It is a personal form of artistic expression symbolizing the brokenness of peoples lives. ;)

John Keeton
08-20-2010, 7:09 AM
Scott, first off, I love that wood!! Very nice, and I think the rustic voids in the wood are a plus. Nice work on the pedestal, as well - good proportions and you may be on to something here!