PDA

View Full Version : Light for plane cabinet?

Tony Sade
12-11-2004, 8:34 AM
I'm planning on building a cabinet for planes and other hand tool stuff, something along the lines of the one Christopher Schwarz shows in the December Popular Woodworking magazine. (Picture below-my apologies if I'm breaking any rules or violating a copyright.) I'll probably go a little bigger, being in desparate need of lots of small stuff storage space, and probably a lot less elaborate-I'll probably use oak/birch ply and face frames. I'm thinking of dropping the windows so I can use all of the inside of the doors for hanging storage as well.

Because my shop is in my garage which tends to be a bit damp, I'd like to put a low-voltage light in the cabinet to fight rust. I'm thinking of something long and narrow that will fit on the inside of the top between the top of the doors and the plane cubby. I have an outlet nearby and can simply run a plugged wire right to the outlet, and may also be able to hardwire right into the outlet depending on what I find when I remove the garden tool pegboard that's currently covering the spot.

Any suggestions for what might work? I've looked at the borgs and haven't found anything so I assume I'll have to go to a specialty store to find what I need. Thanks, Tony

Jim Becker
12-11-2004, 9:13 AM
I do believe that the thing you have pictured is a "Plane Cottage", not a cabinet!!

I've had good luck with http://ylighting.com/index.html for LV lighting. Do remember that some forms generate a lot of heat.

Michael Stadulis
12-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Tony,

I wouldn't worry about it at all, and think the cabinet is too small anyway. I'd be concerned about excess heat. Unfinished wood will grab any moisture in the air inside the cabinet and prevent rust. If you wanted, you could also get a pack or two of silica gel from many sources and change it regularly if you have horrible RH. You can bake silica gel to dry it. Tools in old wooden chests and cases are amazingly free of rust.

Mike