PDA

View Full Version : I got a mini lathe as a gift...

Dee Gallo
08-19-2010, 2:29 PM
Hi everyone, I am usually on the Engraving part of the forum, but today I need help from the Turners!

My brother recently gave us his lathe & other stuff he bought to make pens with his son (which they are no longer doing). It is a Jet variable speed mini (JML-1014 VS). He also gave us a Grizzly drill press and some gouges.

Before I try to play with this new toy, I'd like to find out what I have. Any experienced turners out there who know something about this particular lathe and what a total novice at turning should be aware of?

I have some blank pen stock and loads of other wood to play with.

I realize this is a huge open-ended question, but what I really want to know is what to be aware of regarding the machine itself so I don't break it before I even get to use it.

Thank you all, dee

Paul Douglass
08-19-2010, 2:46 PM
That is a good little lathe and will turn many fine things including the pens. If I were you I'd get some books and DVD's about lathes and turning. There are many out there. Penn State Industries even has a free one on pen making and it is pretty good.

And before anyone else gets to say it, welcome to the vortex!

Dee Gallo
08-19-2010, 2:51 PM
Thanks Paul, good advice. I will check out books and DVDs. I've been watching some youtube videos just to get an idea of things. There are a zillion books out there - any recommended authors you prefer?

cheers, dee

Keith Westfall
08-19-2010, 2:59 PM
Dee, someone will say, (so I will too!) try and find a turning club in your area. Ask at local wood places/stores/etc and see what you find. Well worth the effort!

Like you, I'm just getting started and there is a LOT of information out there, and if you pay attention, you will see that most information contradicts all other information :( Not sure why, guess there are many ways of doing things.

Find what works for you, and away you go. Have fun and enjoy - and welcome...

Jim Underwood
08-19-2010, 3:06 PM
A persusal of the AAW website should quickly yield the answers to the nearest turning club location. I heartily recommend this be the first thing you do. The turners there will be more than happy to assist you...

The other thing I'd do is get some hands on mentoring. You may be able to find a Woodcraft store nearby, and they usually have some kind of classes going on.

Failing that, (or should I say, in addition to that?) pick up a copy of Keith Rowley's book Woodturning, a Foundation Course. Well worth the money. It will teach you the fundamentals and safety...

As for the lathe, it's a decent little lathe to get started on. I have the manual, non-variable speed model, and I really like it. You can make a lot of stuff on that thing. I kept mine for demos and transportability, even though I have the Jet 1642 now. I don't know about the tools, unless you can ID them for us.

Good luck and welcome to the spinny side...

Christopher K. Hartley
08-19-2010, 3:12 PM
Dee, glad to see you here and happier yet that you've ventured into the abyss. It would be helpful to know exactly which gouges/ turning tools you have. In this way we may be able to help even more. First you have a great mini lathe especially with the variable speed. It will make things easier and safer for you. I know I will probably miss something but let's give it a start.

Be sure to have eye and or face protection
with the lathe power of,f center your turning stock between the chuck and tail stock, tighten firmly but don't over do it.
Set your tool rest just below the center line of the turning stock (this is so the cut of the tool is as close to center as possible. The distance below center line is dependent on the size of the turning tool). Hand turn the stock to assure clearance of the piece. I like about 1/4" to 5/8" clearance As the piece is turned re-adjust the tool rest as needed. Too much tool overhang is dangerous. Do so with power off.
Before turning on the lathe set the speed to the slow setting. You can speed it up as needed.
Be sure your turning tools are sharp and take some practice cuts to get a feel for each of the tools
Last but not least...The only stupid question is the one you don't ask! Please ask all the questions you need to.
Now have a spinny good time and let us see your efforts..:)

Kyle Iwamoto
08-19-2010, 3:24 PM
Good little lathe. I have the non variable speed, and sometimes wish I had sprung the extra bucks for the VS.....

In addition to the safety items, did you inherit some sharpening gear? Sharp tools is a must. But as mentioned, safety is first.

If you decide to venture into bowls, I think I'm the first to mention Bill Grumbines DVD's. He has 2, both are very good for the starting bowl turner.

Kenneth Hertzog
08-19-2010, 4:07 PM
Dee
Glad to see you join the vortex :D
this ought to give John K a run for the money.:rolleyes:
since I have seen what beautiful item you make I
can't wait to see what you do with an item off the lathe
good luck and if I can help in any way let me know.
the best thing I can say is sharp tools and put a piece
of wood in the lathe and get a feel for turning it round.
having fun is the best part
Ken

Bernie Weishapl
08-19-2010, 6:15 PM
Dee you gotten some good advice. A great book to start with and I think it has a DVD with it now is Keith Rowley's Woodturning: A Foundation Course. I would also look around your area and see if you have any woodturning clubs like at Woodcraft or Rockler. The ones I have been to are extremely helpful.

Dee Gallo
08-19-2010, 6:55 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm getting the idea that there is not much to know about the lathe itself, but plenty to learn about the process.

Luckily (I think) my husband is a certifiable Neanderthal... hahaha... he loves to sharpen everything he can, from gouges to slicks to planes and kitchen knives. He has to warn me when does my knives since I can easily cut something off when he's done. So, even though my brother just gave me a 3 gouge set in a nice wooden box, I'm sure we have plenty of sharp tools to use.

We've followed your (plural) suggestions and ordered a book and a DVD.

Chris - thanks for the step-by-step, it's very helpful even if it seems simplistic to most of you guys.

Ken - I'm hoping to give Chuck a run for his money...someday!

Hopefully I'll be back someday with a success story! Until then thank you Turners, I appreciate your time! I'll be reading your posts in the meantime. Love the Creek!

:) dee

Karl Card
08-19-2010, 7:55 PM
that was a very nice gift. I have the 1014I, just means the head has indexing capabilities.

It is very capable of turning round pens...lol
good luck and pretty much what the others have said.

Dee Gallo
08-19-2010, 10:44 PM
that was a very nice gift. I have the 1014I, just means the head has indexing capabilities.

It is very capable of turning round pens...lol
good luck and pretty much what the others have said.

I understand what indexing is, but can you explain when it is used?

James Combs
08-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Dee, I am pretty much a beginner at this turning thing myself but I think I can help you here. If I am wrong I am sure someone will jump in here and correct me.

The index feature is not used when the lathe is running. It is used to lock your bowl, vessel, ornament or whatever into a fixed position for doing secondary operations to it such as drilling holes/slots evenly spaced around its circumference or routing flutes along a spindle etc.

Hope that helps.

Steve LaFara
08-19-2010, 11:28 PM

Just imagine holding the piece in a stationary position after turning so you can do your engraving magic on it!;) Indexing allows you to rotate the item in specific even increments and lock it in place. I can see you using that feature a lot.

Michael James
08-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Im sure your lazer crowd is quite a group, but these folks here are spectacular. Seems to be something ancient and tribal going on here. It's worth the price of admission just to see some of the talented work that comes out of here...And everyone is glad to share how it was accomplished. NIce goup of people!
mj

John Keeton
08-20-2010, 6:58 AM
Dee, good to see you on this side of SMC!! You will enjoy woodturning, and you may just find yourself quietly thinking - "hmmmm... if I sold this laser machine, just think of all the turning toys I could have!":D