PDA

View Full Version : Router table track position, if at all?

Cliff Holmes
08-19-2010, 2:27 PM
I'm nearing the finish line on my extension/router table project (http://www.thewoodnerd.com/workshop/extensionTable.html). I had been planning to put in a t-track/mitre slot and did some searching on the preferred distance from the bit. I've seen recommendations everywhere from 6" to 10", including a lot of comments that it's better to not have one at all.

So, what do you guys think?

Victor Robinson
08-19-2010, 2:55 PM
Timely question. I'm building my table now and was planning to place one 6" from the bit.

I'll be interested to hear from the folks who say it's better not to have one. I could see it being useless, but what's the downside?

Bob Wimberly
08-19-2010, 3:27 PM
I certainly wouldn't say it's useless. I find it very handy for featherboards and jigs, such as a coping sled. Mine is 6" (Woodpecker's table) and that seems to work well.

Bill White
08-19-2010, 3:28 PM
I put a miter track in my router table. It is 6" from the edge of the router plate opening, and is enough clearance to use the miter gauge for squaring rail/stile door component ends. I would not be without the track.
Bill

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-19-2010, 4:29 PM
I'm thinking "Moment Arm"

Which of course also begs the question: Why only one sot?
Wouldn't it be useful to have two slots that are parallel so that they'd support a real sled set up?
Sleds and jig mounts using two slots tend to be very stable.

Brian Kincaid
08-19-2010, 4:47 PM
I use mine for:
Featherboards
Miter guage for small pass non-through cuts such as collars for a square table leg using a chamfer bit.

I knew if I didn't include one I would be sorry. For the feather boards alone it is worth it.

-Brian

Van Huskey
08-19-2010, 5:01 PM
I am a fan of slots in router tables, they are so useful not sure why one would not have one. Mine are about 6-8 inches from the fence and seems to work fine.

Tri Hoang
08-19-2010, 5:04 PM
I got it on my first table router table top & use it very little. It ended up trapping router dust most of the time. I think it's also weaken the top a bit. When I made my second top, I left it out & don't really miss it. For feather boards (I use brushes), I just clamp them to the front of the table.

David Hawxhurst
08-19-2010, 6:58 PM
i'm not a fan of slots in the router table. i do have a steel table so i use mag switches for things that need to be stationary (i.e. feather boards and such).

Jim O'Dell
08-19-2010, 8:24 PM
No slot on mine either. I haven't found a need for it yet. If I needed something to ride on a straight line and my Incra fence wouldn't do it, I'd make an adjustable sled that would ride on the edge of the table. Jim.

glenn bradley
08-19-2010, 8:34 PM
I put mine the same distance from the bit center as my tablesaw slot is from the blade center. This way many jigs, feather boards and other fixtures can be used on both.

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134550&d=1260194436)

Cliff Holmes
08-19-2010, 9:48 PM
I put mine the same distance from the bit center as my tablesaw slot is from the blade center

That is so blindingly obvious ... :o

Steve LaFara
08-19-2010, 11:17 PM
I have one about 6" from the bit center line. Don't use it a lot but have found it handy for feather boards on pieces larger than an inch or so. I have a vertical feather board on the infeed and exit side of the bit so on smaller trim pieces I don't use the horizontal one. Have a push block that holds the trim against the fence for this.

Not sure if I would put one in if I had it to do over again or not. Hmmmmmmmm.

Paul Johnstone
08-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Timely question. I'm building my table now and was planning to place one 6" from the bit.

I'll be interested to hear from the folks who say it's better not to have one. I could see it being useless, but what's the downside?

The only downside I see is that the groove in the router table makes the tabletop less strong, and maybe more prone to warp.. Obviously, this can be worked around.. Other than that, just the time to do it.

I didn't put one on mine, but I think the primary use for it would be a miter slot feather board.

John Thompson
08-20-2010, 10:31 AM
I've used the table top I built with a slot about 8" away from bit for 10 years but.. going to build a new top in down-time tween projects in the next few days. I intend to put the track as close to the outside front of table as I can. Why? I use a spring-board with slots that 1/4" bolts go through and screw into a miter bar in lieu of a feather-board to secure work tightly to the fence.

The farther away I put it from the bit the wider the stock I can use if for with the spring-board. Some cases it simply can't be used even then as I do a lot of large carcass pieces so it's use would be limited to stock about 13"-15" wide. BTW.. I have never used a miter guage in a router table track in 39 years but I would not be without it's use as described.

Good luck...

Myk Rian
08-20-2010, 12:47 PM
I put mine the same distance from the bit center as my tablesaw slot is from the blade center. This way many jigs, feather boards and other fixtures can be used on both.

Same here. It's about 1 1/2" from the insert edge.

Van Huskey
08-20-2010, 1:00 PM

Great idea...:D

keith micinski
08-21-2010, 1:31 AM
How on earth do you guys that say you don't have a slot and don't want one do rails and styles? I can't think of any safe or accurate way to do them with out some sort of a sled with a hold down or at a minimum a mitre gauge.

Victor Robinson
08-21-2010, 2:33 AM
How on earth do you guys that say you don't have a slot and don't want one do rails and styles? I can't think of any safe or accurate way to do them with out some sort of a sled with a hold down or at a minimum a mitre gauge.

I can't speak for them, but a sled can ride the edge of the table or if you're a bit more creative, the fence.

Ken Masco
08-21-2010, 3:38 AM
I never put a slot in my table and I'm sorry I didn't. There have been several operations where a slot would have served me very well. I always figure a way around it but waste a lot of time making jigs etc. I vote you definately put one in.