PDA

View Full Version : wood turners/ hunters

Roger Chandler
08-19-2010, 8:04 AM
You might be a woodturner/ hunter if - you have ever sat in a treestand and got to focusing on what you could make out of that tree over there, and missed seeing the deer that snuck up on you until it snorted at you!:eek: :D:D

Come on now guys, I know I am not the only one who has gotten the two mixed up when I should have been doing only one! :o

The above was a take off on the Jeff Foxworthy "you might be a redneck if..." If you have an interesting one that happened to you, get it out of your system by posting it now, so it won't be a problem here in a few weeks when the season opens.............

Tony Greenway
08-19-2010, 8:54 AM
you surgically remove a desirable stalk off a forked tree just outside your window with a chainsaw in the early AM, while hoping that your wife thinks it's just your usual snoring. I still don't understand why she burst from the house in her jammies all waving her arms and yelling and such. I didn't even take the whole tree.:confused::eek::D.

Alan Zenreich
08-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Be werry werry qwiet, I'm huntin' woodturners....

Aaron Wingert
08-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Every tree or piece of wood I see, I picture what it would look like as a duck call or turkey call.

Roger Chandler
08-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Every tree or piece of wood I see, I picture what it would look like as a duck call or turkey call.

Aaron,

I was hoping you would chime in on this, being a duck and turkey call turner. One would surmise that since you turn calls, you would understand the language at least a little in order to make them effective.

That begs the question "Do you hunt as well as turn?" I would imagine that being out in nature, it would be a distraction from the game animals to be looking at an unusual piece of wood, and trying to figure out, "how can I get that home?" :D;)

bob svoboda
08-19-2010, 11:48 AM
...when you comment on the potential bowl making qualities every time you see a tree, to the point your best friend says "you have a problem. I think you need a professional intervention" Then the next thing YOU say is "wow, think of how many bowls I could get out of that big cherry over there...."

Roger Chandler
08-19-2010, 12:10 PM
...when you comment on the potential bowl making qualities every time you see a tree, to the point your best friend says "you have a problem. I think you need a professional intervention" Then the next thing YOU say is "wow, think of how many bowls I could get out of that big cherry over there...."

Wow Bob! An intervention? :D I have several passions, my family, my faith, my woodworking and my hunting...........I do my best to keep my priorities straight, and things of life in balance.......but I do tend to look at the potential in things I see, and it cost me seeing a deer, and once a black bear slipped in on me quietly because I was distracted from hunting with my mind on things that could be made out of wood, :o I could not take it yet anyway, because the bear season was still a week away.

I'm just enjoying myself with the goodness of our Lord!

Aaron Wingert
08-19-2010, 3:38 PM
Aaron,

I was hoping you would chime in on this, being a duck and turkey call turner. One would surmise that since you turn calls, you would understand the language at least a little in order to make them effective.

That begs the question "Do you hunt as well as turn?" I would imagine that being out in nature, it would be a distraction from the game animals to be looking at an unusual piece of wood, and trying to figure out, "how can I get that home?" :D;)

I was a hunter long before I was a woodworker, and waaaay before I was a woodturner. I started turning calls because the woodworker in me wasn't satisfied with the look of the calls I owned or could buy at Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. It just blossomed from there and became a small business for me. I only hunt feathered critters...No deer, rabbits, etcetera anymore. I firmly believe that you have to be able to competently call turkeys to make a good turkey call, ducks to make a duck call, etc. I'm certainly not what a lot of people might even call a good caller and I'm not going to win any calling competitions, but I'm competent enough to be effective.

For me it is all about being in the woods. I often just take the camera and not the gun. I get greater pleasure from going with friends and look forward to taking my boys when they're old enough. Getting a bird is very secondary for me, and I hope to somehow pass that thinking along to my kids. Using my calls to call in ducks and especially turkeys is really rewarding, and giving them to friends is rewarding too. One of my turkey calls was featured on the Outdoor Channel on a TV show last year and it sure did make me walk a little taller. Knowing that customers of mine rave about my calls makes me feel good, just like Keeton probably feels when someone drools over one of his hollow forms in a gallery or displays it with pride in their home. There's satisfaction in that.

Now that I am a woodturner I do tend to notice trees with burls or other interesting characteristics that make me wonder what they would look like as a call (or bowl, pepper mill, etc.), whereas before I simply walked past them.

(it is hard to carry a chainsaw and hunt at the same time though) :D

Tony De Masi
08-19-2010, 4:03 PM
Roger, have been reading my mind while I've been up in the stand? Actually it doesn't happen too much anymore as we only have six stands where I hunt and I've been in all of them several times over.

Happy Hunting.

Tony

Roger Chandler
08-19-2010, 4:44 PM
Roger, have been reading my mind while I've been up in the stand? Actually it doesn't happen too much anymore as we only have six stands where I hunt and I've been in all of them several times over.

Happy Hunting.

Tony

Tony,

I didn't think I was the only hunter who wood turned or the only wood turner that hunted, or, well you know:D Have you ever been as distracted as to miss an animal quietly sneeking in on you?

It usually happens when I am looking one direction at that tree that has been blown over, and the animal comes in from the other direction,and the tree is hung up by its branches in another tree, and that nice crotch section is just begging for someone to walk over there with the chainsaw, but alas, I agree with Aaron, .......... it is hard to hunt and run a chainsaw at the same time! :D;)

Jack Mincey
08-19-2010, 4:54 PM
I hauled more wood in on my 4-wheeler last year than I did Meat. The club I use to hunt on has a large section of swamp that is thick with persimmon trees. Too of them where dead and I didn't see any reason to let the wood go to waste. It was way more wood than I should have put on the back of the 4-wheeler, but I hauled it all out with one trip. I've become so bad at looking for wood that my wife drives when we are together so that I can look even closer at the wood along the road. It has payed off more than once.
Jack

Roger Chandler
08-19-2010, 4:58 PM
I hauled more wood in on my 4-wheeler last year than I did Meat. The club I use to hunt on has a large section of swamp that is thick with persimmon trees. Too of them where dead and I didn't see any reason to let the wood go to waste. It was way more wood than I should have put on the back of the 4-wheeler, but I hauled it all out with one trip. I've become so bad at looking for wood that my wife drives when we are together so that I can look even closer at the wood along the road. It has payed off more than once.
Jack

Jack,

There are a lot of swamps in NC. I watch that program on discovery channel "Swamp Loggers" when I can.....and they do some pretty interesting things in those swamps!

Gee, anyone except a bunch of woodworkers would think I am crazy for watching a program like that! :D

brian watts
08-19-2010, 7:39 PM
Jack

same here all the time.i haul alot of wood out on my 4 wheeler .when iam on the club and it is die and down i can take all i can haul. the wife said the other day i was a (Compulsive hoarders) when it come to wood..

Roger Chandler
08-20-2010, 8:10 AM
Honey, that thar machine is not just a huntin' veee-hickle, that thar machine is a wood haulin' app-a-ray-tus, and you just go on back in the kitchen and be a fix-in them grits & gravy, an' I'll just take this here woods Cat-ah-lack for a spin, and then I'll be right back an- eat some o' them grits you wus a-workin' on when I left! :D:eek::D;)

I use my ATV for wood retrieval and hunting! Mine has pulled many a log with its winch as well.

I love the outdoors, and I was born and raised in the city, but came to love the outdoors as a child when we visited Grandad's farm in the mountains. I may be a city boy, but I can talk redneck with the best of them, when I need to!

Happy huntin' guys!

Patrick Doody
08-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah I'm an outdoors man as well as a turner. my dad has a square mile of wooded land that I've been supplying my shop with, I found a few maple burls this spring that I'm hoping to turn some turkey calls with for the spring season. I'm gonna make a wood run soon so I'm all stocked up for the winter.

I'm primarily a small game hunter but on occasion have hunted deer and elk... I love elk meat! My true passion is fly fishing, still trying to figure out how to work my turning into that hobby.