PDA

View Full Version : An update.....all but the finish (pics)

Arnie Grammon
12-11-2004, 12:13 AM
Here is the latest project I've been working on. The nightstands will get a coat of BLO-Poly-MS in the morning, followed by multiple coats of 2/3 Poly-1/3 MS. They are part of a bedroom set I am building for the LOML. Thanks for any and all comments.....except destructive criticism ;) :) .

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albus48/night_stand_007.sized.jpg

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albus48/night_stand_006.sized.jpg

Used air dried black walnut and red (soft) maple....from a local source. A variation on a Wood Mag plan.

I'll post "after" finish pics this weekend

AG

Karl Laustrup
12-11-2004, 6:20 AM
Looking pretty good Arnie. Looks like you have some nicely figured walnut. Will be very interesting to see the grain etc. after the BLO. Definately more pics when done.

Karl

Bill Arnold
12-11-2004, 7:07 AM
Arnie,

Looking good! I like the way you incorporated the walnut sapwood pieces into the backsplash. The contrast between the walnut and maple will give the pieces a great appearance when finished.

I've been following the series in Wood Magazine also. SWMBO doesn't really like the style, so 'nuf said. lol

I attached photos of a nightstand top I started finishing yesterday using BLO/Naphtha/Poly. The combo really pops the grain.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Dick Parr
12-11-2004, 7:29 AM
Very nice looking Arnie

Christian Aufreiter
12-11-2004, 8:23 AM
Very nice job, Arnie. I like it!

Bob Marino
12-11-2004, 9:12 AM
Very nice work; the design as well as the contasting woods. Should look gorgeous when finshed.

Bob

Mark Valsi
12-11-2004, 9:30 AM
ARnie,

I can't wait to see how the tables look with the finish on them.

I'm not so sure that Mission style looks good with contrasting woods, so you may prove me wrong !

Steve Clardy
12-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Looking good. I like the contrasting woods.
Steve

Mike Tempel
12-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Beautiful work. I like the style and the contrasting woods really are eye catchers. I think she will be proud of them and show them off - you may be making the bed from now on.

Thanks for sharing.
Mike

Kelly C. Hanna
12-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Wow, those are sharp!! Can't wait to see the finish.

Ted Shrader
12-11-2004, 1:35 PM
Arnie -

Interesting design! The contrast in the woods will really pop when the finish is applied. Can't wait to see more pictures. Will the pulls be maple?

What other pieces have you completed?

Regards,
Ted

Scott Parks
12-11-2004, 2:14 PM
Nice nightstands, Arnie.

Pardon the intereuption, but Bill, what is your recipe and technique for BLO/Naptha/poly? That is beautiful! I have some maple to finish and that is what I want it to look like. Did you use any dye to get that dark grain to show, or is that just how the wood looks? Thanks...

Bill Arnold
12-11-2004, 2:31 PM
...Bill, what is your recipe and technique for BLO/Naptha/poly?...
Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just show what that type of mixture does on some combos. The mixture I'm using on this project is a 2/2/1 mix of BLO/Naphtha/Polyurethane. No dye or stain -- just the oil mix and a suntan -- sun is plentiful here in Florida, so I oil the cherry and walnut and leave it in the sun for a few hours.

Jason Tuinstra
12-11-2004, 3:21 PM
Arnie, looks good. The finish will really make those tables pop. Be sure to post some more pics when you're done. Great job!