PDA

View Full Version : American chestnut--a rare find

Steve Mawson
08-18-2010, 10:23 PM
I belong to the Great Plains Woodturners in Lincoln, Nebraska. At our meeting last night each member had a chance to take home a piece of American Chestnut that was collected by Scott Josiah, one of our members and also a Nebraska State Forrester. These blanks were all from the top of a tree from Nebraska City, NE which was home to J Sterling Morton and was probably planted by him many years ago. This tree was between 3 and 4 feet in diameter and was killed by the Asian Blight and cut down a couple years ago. The bark had rotted off the tree but there was no decay on the wood that was left. Asian Blight has just about made the American Chestnut extinct which makes this wood a rare treasure. Design and turning of this wood is left to each individual so we will be in for a treat as the new creations are displayed. The Arbor Day Foundation will have their pick of pieces as the tree came from Arbor Lodge Property with the Nebraska Forest Service getting some pieces as well. Thought some of you might like to hear and see this story so taking the liberty to show off what we all had to pick from. Pieces ranged from 20-24 inches across and about that long down to pieces only suitable for a pen or bottle stopper. I picked a piece that is about 22 inches square and 2 inches thick. It does have a crack almost in the middle so a 20" platter is not possible but I do see about 4 smaller plates so wish me luck that the crack monsters stay away.

Joe Shinall
08-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Congratulations on the piece Steve. Looks like some good wood. Hope to see the finished pictures.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Congrats Steve. Looks like some nice turning wood.

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Wow! What a wonderful opportunity for everyone! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

John Keeton
08-19-2010, 7:08 AM
Steve, a lot of heritage sitting there!! I have a bit of American Chestnut from some barn beams. I think you will like the look of it finished out. I have not turned any of it, but in working with it for flatwork, it seems a bit splinter prone. It does sand out and finish nicely, though.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-19-2010, 2:16 PM
Congrats Steve. Wood is all the more sweet when there is a story behind it that can be told. I know you'll do it justice and have plenty of opportunities to tell the story. Be sure to let us see the outcome.;)

Bill Bulloch
08-19-2010, 2:24 PM
Great catch there. I won some a few months back at the raffle our club has each meeting. They were from a beam in a old warehouse. There were plenty of checks and cracks in the wood and when I was milling it I found COTTON inside the cracks.