PDA

View Full Version : Some Old "Ahrn" I'm Looking At

Ben Franz
08-18-2010, 10:19 PM
This Yates American Y36 appeared on our local CL today and I could nor resist taking a look. The saw dates from the 1940s and the current owner told me it was originally installed on the USS New Mexico. The battleship was damaged twice by kamikaze attacks in 1945 (Wikipedia backs this up) and the saw was removed during repairs and given to the University of New Mexico where it resided for 50+ years. UNM sold it through a broker to the current owner. I don't know if all this is true, but it's a great story and I'm almost compelled to buy the saw just for the history. The local business has used it infrequently to cut plastic products and he's asking $400 which doesn't seem high at all.

A few considerations:

1. It's 208V 3 phase so a VFD is needed. Forgot to check motor HP but I assume this would not be a deal breaker.

2. Probably 4000+ lbs so transport is a big job. I could probably do some disassembly (motor, table, covers, wheels, etc.) before loading. I have a utility trailer that's rated for 5000 lb. load and my truck could probably get it up the hill.

3. Wheel bearings are sealed not Babbit but the blade guides are some kind of block material - maybe phenolic or ??? The thrust bearings are large sealed bearings - perhaps 2.5" diameter. Can this saw be retrofit with modern roller guides?

4. No blade brake - is this something that can be implemented through a VFD?

5. I have NO ROOM for this beast. Details, details ....

I know that OWWM is probably the best place to research this but I thought I'd throw it out here in the hope that the collective minds of SMC can find a way to cure me of this obsession or, failing that, recommend a good matrimonial attorney. I'm interested in any thoughts.

Bruce Page
08-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Ben, I saw this on CL also. If I had the room it would be on its way to my shop right now and my MiniMax would be going up for sale. BTW, the MM has a break but I never use it, As far as retro fitting guides, almost anything can be designed & fabricated.
Let me know if you buy it, I would love to see it in person.

Damon Stathatos
08-18-2010, 11:37 PM
I have an old Tannewitz 36". They are practically identical twins. They don't build them like this anymore (except Tannewitz, they're still building them but you wouldn't want to buy one new).

There are actually a lot of these older ones out there because they never really die. Check the tires and see if you're happy with the vibration. New Tannewitz tires are about $350 each to replace but you should be able to find other alternatives for around $150 each if you search around.

Since they're fairly easily 'had' (and 3ph), they should be under $1000. The one in your picture looks as if it's been sprayed with a coat of paint which is all well and good but doesn't add to what's underneath. Check it out and if everything looks good, go for it. That bandsaw will still outlast the both of us. Best of luck to you.

Simon Dupay
08-19-2010, 1:20 AM
Do your self a favor and just go and get it! worry about details later.:D BTW thouse guides better then roller guides.

Pete Bradley
08-19-2010, 8:19 AM
If you can move it safely and fit it in your shop, a Y36 would be a great machine. The history just adds to the appeal As with any old iron though, bring a flashlight and check thoroughly for cracks, breaks, and missing parts, especially the table trunnions and guide assemblies. Also check the HP of the motor because the VFD cost may be up there. Most likely it has plastic guide blocks because the current owners had material lying around. I believe this machine had steel blocks new, that's what I would use.

You should assume that the machine needs a complete set of bearings as well as some other non-trivial restoration. As others have mentioned, the OWWM site has a lot of valuable information and the guys on the forum can answer questions. Download a manual and familiarize yourself with the parts before checking out the machine.

Frank Drew
08-19-2010, 10:02 AM
If you can make it work in your space, this would be a great machine to own, assuming it's in reasonably good condition. The price is great, really great.

FWIW, I bought a 1940s Oliver 18" bandsaw when I opened my shop in 1981 and kept it for another 25 years and it was still working fine.

Bill White
08-19-2010, 10:19 AM
What are ya gonna do with that beast, saw Buicks in half? Get it.
Bill

george wilson
08-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Is that a crack showing in the view of the back side of the upper housing? May be a hair in the photo?

That motor could be pretty big horse power. Do you have the amps to run it?

Stephen Cherry
08-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Drives wharehouse has hitachi vfd's which can be derated to run on single phase power. If you email them they will send you a sheet on how to do it. Basically, a 10 hp 3 ph drive runs a 5 hp motor on single phase supply. They also have the provision for braking resistor.

Mike Ruggeri
08-19-2010, 12:54 PM
The place I worked during college had one of those saws - a good saw with good power. They paid about $1,200 for it in the late '80's and thought that was a good price back then. The saw is still up and running today.

One thing to check is if the power is 440v. Not sure if that makes a difference for you, but the one my old employer got was 440v and they had to have an electrician hook that up.

Mike

Chip Lindley
08-19-2010, 1:18 PM
This Yates American Y36 appeared on our local CL today...

5. I have NO ROOM for this beast. Details, details ....

I'm interested in any thoughts.

If you cannot house the saw properly, why bother acquiring it? If it ends up under a tarp out in the weather, you have done the nice old BS a grave injustice. Respectfully, just my .02.