PDA

View Full Version : Churchill Pens - Tru-STone & Cocobolo

James Combs
08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Some of you will recall the two Churchill fountain pens I made for a couple of banker friends. These two are roller-ball mates for the same two guys.

Gold dressed in Bloody Basin Red Jasper Tru-Stone

Gold dressed in Black With Gold Matrix Tru-Stone

Finish on above is sanded to 1800 then Hut Ultra Gloss and a coating of wax.

This one is a spec pen.
Sterling Silver Roller-Ball dressed in Cocobolo

Finish on the Coco is sanded to 1800 then 8 Coats of CA then then Hut Ultra Gloss and a coating of wax.

CC welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2010, 10:36 PM
James those are some really nice pens. Well done. I really like the coco.

Michael James
08-18-2010, 11:30 PM
James I've eyed that material for months. Love the RED and the Black. How is it to turn? brittle??

beginner CA question:
Also, Im wondering why you would need to wax 8 coats of CA. where does the wax go?
Thanks,
mj

gary Zimmel
08-18-2010, 11:58 PM
A few more beauties James. I thinking your banker buddies are going to love them..

John Keeton
08-19-2010, 7:30 AM
JD, as before, that black/gold matrix is knock out gorgeous! I love the coco, as well, and probably prefer it just because it is wood. But, for an executive pen, the black/gold would be hard to beat.

David E Keller
08-19-2010, 8:11 AM
JD, your pen making skills have gone through the roof. I hope you've looked back just a short time ago to some of your early pens. Kudos to you for continuing to perfect your technique.

As for the pens, I love them all, but the cocobolo would be the one I would swipe first.

Matt Ranum
08-19-2010, 8:15 AM
Guess I'm gonna have to try some of that tru-stone stuff. When I see picks of the blanks they don't do much for me, but when I see your finished product they are just awesome.

bob svoboda
08-19-2010, 9:26 AM
Beautiful pens James.

James Combs
08-19-2010, 8:58 PM
James I've eyed that material for months. Love the RED and the Black. How is it to turn? brittle??

beginner CA question:
Also, Im wondering why you would need to wax 8 coats of CA. where does the wax go?
Thanks,
mj

It can be brittle if you get too aggressive with your tools. It will chip out like acrylic blanks. Otherwise in my opinion it turns a whole lot like the real hard exotics, the oily ones.

The wax, I think it improves the shine and the "feel" of the pen.

JD, your pen making skills have gone through the roof. I hope you've looked back just a short time ago to some of your early pens. Kudos to you for continuing to perfect your technique.

As for the pens, I love them all, but the cocobolo would be the one I would swipe first.

Thanks David. Yes, I still have two of my early ones. If they had serial numbers they would be around 5&6.

JD, as before, that black/gold matrix is knock out gorgeous! I love the coco, as well, and probably prefer it just because it is wood. But, for an executive pen, the black/gold would be hard to beat.

Thanks John. Apparently my banker friend likes it too.