PDA

View Full Version : WWII Medal Display Case!- Newbie Needs Help

Nancy DaytonButler
08-18-2010, 9:30 PM
While I've been "lurking" for several years, this is my first request for serious help. I have been tasked by my husband to build a display case for his 87 year old living father. I started the basic case today and so far it's 3 1/2" x 17 1/2" x 28" purpleheart with dovetail joints. I'm housing 4 purple hearts, a silver star, 2 bronze starts, his rank insignia, about 18 more medals, badges and ribbons - hence its large size. Hubby also wanted a picture in uniform and had a brass plate made. I am severely design challenged! Now, the questions:

1. What, if anything, would you propose for an edge treatment? Roundover, chamfer...???

2. My tentative plan is to use a foam board covered in "infantry blue" velvet and to dado it in at an angle so that the medals will hang firmly against it. Do you foresee any problems with that idea?

3. I've researched this forum and case retailers for ideas on how to actually mount the medals. Thus far I think if I stick with 3/16" foam board, I'll be able to just use the stick-pins on some of the ribbons, but I can't imagine hot gluing 60+ year old medals and badges. Any ideas?

4. My thought is to run a dado approx. 5/8" inside the front edge for glass. I would guess I should get UV glass but welcome suggestions.

5. There is also a stack of newspapers clippings, a letter of commendation for the national merit of honor medal, etc. I would like to be able to include those with the case but still have them accessible. I'm thinking about dadoing a groove in the back, insetting a piece of 3/16" ply and using rare earth magnets so that the back can be removed to get to the articles. Any better ideas?

6. I don't know how to attach the whole thing to the wall...

7. I'd really like to maintain the color of the wood as it is now. Any suggestions for a finish that would keep it from browning?

I know this is a really long post but cut me some slack, I have more tools than talent. :o Thanks for any help you can give.

Nan

Greg Portland
08-19-2010, 1:16 PM
I'll try to help out some, I've made these ribbon cases for scouters before (so there may be some differences).

1. What, if anything, would you propose for an edge treatment? Roundover, chamfer...???I'd just keep a square edge, -maybe- a slight chamfer. The goal here is to not detract from the objects in the case.

2. My tentative plan is to use a foam board covered in "infantry blue" velvet and to dado it in at an angle so that the medals will hang firmly against it. Do you foresee any problems with that idea?You don't need to have it at an angle, the pins will hold the items in place. Ensure there is enough back relief for pin clamps. I would plan on covering the back with framing paper to seal the dust out, it will result in a nicer long-term presentation.

3. I've researched this forum and case retailers for ideas on how to actually mount the medals. Thus far I think if I stick with 3/16" foam board, I'll be able to just use the stick-pins on some of the ribbons, but I can't imagine hot gluing 60+ year old medals and badges. Any ideas?Yes, just pin them on. With scout badges I just use hot glue. I'll let others chime in here as to their recommendations.

4. My thought is to run a dado approx. 5/8" inside the front edge for glass. I would guess I should get UV glass but welcome suggestions.Glass is expensive at picture framers. Find a glass or materials supply place... they have access to everything and can cut the glass to size for you.

5. There is also a stack of newspapers clippings, a letter of commendation for the national merit of honor medal, etc. I would like to be able to include those with the case but still have them accessible. I'm thinking about dadoing a groove in the back, insetting a piece of 3/16" ply and using rare earth magnets so that the back can be removed to get to the articles. Any better ideas?I worry about dust getting into the frame if you do this. How much stuff is there? Could you just glue an envelope onto the paper backing and stick everything into the envelope?

6. I don't know how to attach the whole thing to the wall...Simple picture hanger hardware will work. A small eye hook on each side + wire will support a lot of weight.

7. I'd really like to maintain the color of the wood as it is now. Any suggestions for a finish that would keep it from browning?A UV finish will slow the color change but not completely stop it from occurring. If you wanted a certain purple color then the best method is to use tints and dyes on wood with a similar grain (and even then I'm not sure how long the dye will hold up against UV). I'd post this question in the finishing forum for more feedback.

Nancy DaytonButler
08-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your help. We are going with the chamfer edge, picked up glass that is "slightly less than museum quality" for $75. Compared to the four purple hearts, that hardly signifies. I will not try to angle in the foam board. I think you are correct and the medals will hang straight. Also, the paper backing and envelope idea really solves a lot of problems. Thanks again. Nan

Bill Brush
08-22-2010, 11:34 AM
You didn't mention what thickness of stock you're using, but I'll assume it's basic 1" stock.

If I was making it I would do a slight (maybe 1/4") chamfer on the inside (glass side) edge of the box. Visually that will direct the eye inward. Check some picture frames, you'll probably see more than few examples of this.

The outside edge I'd probably round-over just to ease the edge.

Nancy DaytonButler
08-31-2010, 9:09 PM
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the idea re the chamfer. Yes, it is 1" material and I will try that on some scrap. The dovetails look good and the dados are so-so. Purpleheart seems to be difficult to work, at least for me. I finished 18 interior doors in cherry and alder and they did a lot less tearing out, etc. Thaks again for the ideas.

Nan