PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Scroll Saw

Larry Roetker
08-18-2010, 9:01 PM
A lady is advertising this Dremel Scroll Saw for $30, almost too good to pass up. It "runs fine" and has a 16" throat. Otherwise, she can provide little information. I have been unable to determine a model number. Does anyone know? Dremel saws have good online reviews, but I don't think Dremel makes them anymore, and support may become an issue. Before I drive 40 miles to look at it, I would like any advice I can get. Thanks

Ken Barton
08-18-2010, 10:13 PM
I have a Dremel - I believe 1635 model. For $30 it is worth it, but you don't get much more than you would expect for a low price model. Mine has two speeds and a lot of vibration, but works well for the limited scrolling I do. It does not handle 3/4 boards very well, but can with some persistence, but that may be operator error :)

If you are heavy into intarsia, probably best to wait and buy a top end model, but if you occassionally need to use it on 1/4 boards, great tool!

Bryan Morgan
08-19-2010, 12:13 AM
A lady is advertising this Dremel Scroll Saw for $30, almost too good to pass up. It "runs fine" and has a 16" throat. Otherwise, she can provide little information. I have been unable to determine a model number. Does anyone know? Dremel saws have good online reviews, but I don't think Dremel makes them anymore, and support may become an issue. Before I drive 40 miles to look at it, I would like any advice I can get. Thanks

Looks like $10 in gas and $20 in cleaning labor from the pic there :) I have a Dremel 1800 and it is built solid, works nice. I actually wanted the 16" but CPO had a deal on rebuilt 1800's so I got one instead. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it too.... ??