PDA

View Full Version : Simple White oak bowl

Joe Shinall
08-18-2010, 6:40 PM
This is my 4th bowl. Of course everyone I do is my new favorite. Turned this from a small 50 cent blank I bought from turningblanks.net from their bargain bin. I'm happy with the shape and almost went to thin on the bottom. If you hold it up to the light, it shines through the bottom :D

4" wide x 1.75" tall. Has a small foot on the bottom. Sorry for the crappy pictures, still can't find my good camera.

bobby lynn
08-18-2010, 6:57 PM
Looks good to me Joe for being only your 4th bowl.
:)

John Keeton
08-18-2010, 7:11 PM
Joe, I would say you scored on that .50 blank!! Nice looking piece of wood, and you did a good job on the bowl. Finish looks good, too.

David E Keller
08-18-2010, 7:18 PM
Pretty wood and nicely done. Looking forward to seeing your next one.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-18-2010, 8:14 PM
Joe wonderful looking little bowl. There is something special about oak in my experience. While you always want to do better om the next one, don't be too hard on yourself or the vessel. You will correct the thin bottom on later works or you will match the thin nature throughout the work. When you look back a year or so from now there will be fond memories of the lessons learned. Personally I like the little bowl as it reflects the true beauty of a wonderful wood,,,OAK!! Keep up the good work.:)

Joe Shinall
08-18-2010, 8:40 PM
Joe, I would say you scored on that .50 blank!! Nice looking piece of wood, and you did a good job on the bowl. Finish looks good, too.

Thanks John. I would say I scored on it too. I got a few more like it I will enjoy turning. The finish was really easy. It's a concoction a friend of mine uses on everything. It's a really heavy coat of teak oil, then Helmsman poly with teak oil 50/50 mix for about 5 or 6 coats. That was only after one coat. Then a buffing afterwards.

Joe wonderful looking little bowl. There is something special about oak in my experience. While you always want to do better om the next one, don't be too hard on yourself or the vessel. You will correct the thin bottom on later works or you will match the thin nature throughout the work. When you look back a year or so from now there will be fond memories of the lessons learned. Personally I like the little bowl as it reflects the true beauty of a wonderful wood,,,OAK!! Keep up the good work.:)

Thanks for your kind words Christopher. I really liked that blank because of the way the grain was. I've been wanting to turn it since my first, but wanted to hold off til I got a little better. I wanted to go thinner with the whole thing but also wanted to keep the bowl :D

Thanks to Bobby and David too. I sure love getting compliments :):)

Thomas Canfield
08-18-2010, 9:35 PM
Good looking bowl. Soon you will find sources for green wood and other types. One saying that I keep repeating for beginning turners (and to myself) - " A thick bottom is bettern than a funnel, and plugging a hole is a lot more work than doing it right". Looking for #5 on.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Good looking bowl and wood. As Chris said it will get easier with everyone you do. I keep my funnels near the lathe to remind me when I want to take that famous last cut.

Joe Shinall
08-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah Bernie, something told me to stop and just use my 80 grit bowl gouge to get those last couple tool marks out of the bottom. And boy I'm glad I did. Waitin for my calipers to come in so I don't have this problem again.