PDA

View Full Version : Nova midi chuck at Woodcraft

Joe Shinall
08-18-2010, 6:21 PM
Just FYI. Nova midi chuck on sale at woodcraft for $69. Regular $109.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080325/28578/Nova-Precision-Midi-Chuck-with-Two-Jaw-Sets.aspx

Don't own this chuck but a friend of mine has it and loves it. Thinkin about buying one to have a second chuck. Any opinions for anyone that has one?

Mark Hix
08-18-2010, 8:08 PM
just bought me another one...this one has two sets of jaws w/ it...since I "accidently" bent my first one, now I have two chucks w/ two sizes of jaws!

Thomas Canfield
08-18-2010, 9:40 PM
A turner friend told me that I was not agile enough to work the tommy bars, but they are not that big a deal. This is a great little chuck to have as an additional chuck, expecially with the 2 sets of jaws. I have one that came with the Jet VHS lathe and use it along with a Talon.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the info. May jump on one.

Michael James
08-18-2010, 11:35 PM
I bought the cole jaws for it too. It's my 1st real chuck, and the tighening bars can get cumbersome at times, but the price was right. Same price about 3 or 4 months ago

Kyle Iwamoto
08-19-2010, 12:00 PM
It only comes in 1x8 threads. It's a very compact chuck, for us limited bed length Mini users, that may come in handy. It's a good chuck for the money. And if you didn't already know, most Nova jaws fit other chucks, except for the big Titan jaws, so if/when you upgrade, the jaws will fit.
If the Tommy bars don't agree with you, the G3 chuck is a good deal, it's available on the bay for 115 or so shipped.
Welcome!

Paul Douglass
08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
I bought one when they were on sell once and got an adapter so it would fit my lathe. I actually seem to run smoother than my Supernova. Don't know why. The tommy bars are a little awkward for me but I get by.

Mike Minto
08-19-2010, 3:43 PM
i've heard negative feedback regarding this chuck, FWIW, but then i've never used one. perhaps that's why the sale.

Kevin Lucas
08-19-2010, 3:55 PM
I am looking at getting one of these myself for a harbor freight 34706 lathe. The drive is 1x 8 is it ok just to use the chuck straight on the drive or do you put an adapter between them?

Salem Ganzhorn
08-19-2010, 7:56 PM
I bought one a couple days ago. Don't forget the 15$ off 75$ coupon: 82010 at check out.
You can use it and still get free shipping!

Note this is the first chuck I have ever bought so I cannot give an informed opinion. It just arrived today. I was going to buy the G3 (or SuperNova) but this comes with the 25mm jaws as well. I think they cost at least 30$ and I thought I might want them anyway for smaller stuff.

Wayne Spence
08-19-2010, 8:32 PM
After I bought my Nova 1624 I used the midi chuck with a PSI adaptor. The adaptor was out of round and PSI replaced it, they said they actually tested it and agreed the adaptor was not to specs. If you have a lathe with a larger spindle than the 1 x 8 then the midi chuck with adaptor is an option. Still under $100 including the adaptor. Tecknatool does not recommend it but I have used the midichuck with 100mm jaws for work up to 12 by 8 inches. Just don't get too greedy as the thought police say.

Alan Trout
08-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Tommy bars are not an issue if you have a spindle lock because all you need is one bar that way. It is a true one handed operation. The Woodfast lathe I bought a couple of weeks ago came with one of the original Nova tommy bar chucks and a Stronghold chuck. I sure do like that Nova chuck it is fast, light, a perfect for the smaller projects.

Alan

Steve Braman
08-20-2010, 8:12 AM
Thanks for the comments. I was looking at this last night and am headed over to Woodcraft this afternoon to pick up some plug cutters to finish a stair railing. Perfect timing.

Thomas Canfield
08-20-2010, 9:24 AM
This is addictive. The chuck that came with my Jet mini did not have the screw or extra jaws. The price, free shipping, and then the $15 discount got to me and I had to order one along with a quart of Watco Danish Oil, on sale, to get total over the $75. Looks like a great price for chuck and free quart of oil. Thanks for discount code in post.