PDA

View Full Version : This has been a great week!! Icing on the cake!

John Keeton
08-18-2010, 6:05 PM
As I had mentioned in a prior thread, last week I submitted 5 of my turnings for the jury process to gain admittance to the Kentucky Guild of Artists & Craftsmen (http://kyguild.org/). I was told to not expect to hear anything for a couple of weeks.

Today, I get this in the mail -
And, included with the other info, was the Session Comment Sheet -

I am excited!! Had to share it with my turnin' buddies!

To top off the week, tomorrow evening I will have 20 of my turnings at the local guild reception - "Sip 'n Stroll" wine tasting event.

Alan Trout
08-18-2010, 6:14 PM
John,

That is great new! You must be very excited. I am submitting some of my pieces for admission into a local art guild next month. I hope I do as well as you.

Congratulations.

Alan

David E Keller
08-18-2010, 6:16 PM
Very cool... Your woodturning skills:D and the threat of a lawsuit:eek: was too much for them, huh?

Seriously, congratulations on a well deserved recognition. Now get out there and sell some of those pieces so you can justify all the money you've spent on exotic timbers!:D

gary Zimmel
08-18-2010, 6:22 PM
Another congrats John. You've come a long way in a short time...

Joe Shinall
08-18-2010, 6:26 PM
Congratulations John. Since I've joined this forum about a year ago, you have yet to cease to amaze me. Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing more pieces.

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2010, 6:29 PM
John - this is outstanding! Yet another feather in your cap - so to speak! Hope you have all sorts of fun tomorrow at your first reception!

Looking forward to the photos!

I am proud of you!

Roger Chandler
08-18-2010, 7:30 PM
We could not be any more HAPPY for you!:):):):D:D:D

Your work speaks to your skill, creativity and your execution of technique and process.

While it is always a good thing to remain humbled, just remember the talent God gave you is meant to shine forth, and yours does!

Congratulations John! Woo Hoo!!!

Jack Mincey
08-18-2010, 7:51 PM
Way to go John!! Almost as amazing as your work is how short a time it has taken you to get to this point. I can't wait to see what you come up with in the future!!
Jack

Mark Hix
08-18-2010, 8:05 PM
Congratulations John! You left them almost speachless.

Mark Hubl
08-18-2010, 8:20 PM
Congrats John. It is now official, you sir are an R-Tist!

David Christopher
08-18-2010, 8:49 PM
Congratulations John, that is outstanding

Jon Lanier
08-18-2010, 8:51 PM
Ditto to all above.

Pete Jordan
08-18-2010, 8:53 PM
Congrats Buddy!

Greg Just
08-18-2010, 9:01 PM
Nice job! You should be very proud of your accomplishments

Dennis Ford
08-18-2010, 9:02 PM
Congratulations John, your work was outstanding and that is exactly what they saw in it.

Steve Mawson
08-18-2010, 9:12 PM
Way to go John, well deserved. Hope the sipping goes extremely well.

James Combs
08-18-2010, 9:17 PM
Way to go John. Your work deserves this and more.

Tom Sherman
08-18-2010, 9:27 PM
Knock em Out John, great news knew it was going to happen. Your work is too good not to be recognized, even the Jury committee knows.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-18-2010, 9:27 PM
As I have said before John, I'm jealous of you :D, and the other thing I said also, Keep it fun it is too easy to make it another job for the pressure of those that do like to sell your work, and Oh yes congratulations of course, tho it doesn't surprise me a bit, your work is exceptional, never mind considering the short time you have been turning :cool:, or is that maybe not true, have you been turning for years and years under another name :(.

Just kidding of course for that last part only :p :D

Robert McGowen
08-18-2010, 9:58 PM
Congrats, John! Good luck with your reception.

Curt Fuller
08-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Was there ever any doubt?

Huge congratulations Mr. Keeton. Better get that black beret and turtleneck ordered.

Tim Rinehart
08-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Just a super accomplishment and a fitting one for someone with your talent.
I don't know what it takes to be a KY Colonel these days...but you certainly have our respect and admiration.

You're a class act and happen to do exceptional work with that spinny stuff...a great combo!!

Look forward to chance to see you and your work up close sometime John!

A hearty congrats again!!

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Congrats John and well deserved. Never had a doubt.

Michael James
08-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Are you ready to retire your law practice and hit the road? This whole scenario has paradigm shift written all over it.....:cool:
You've been a good help, encouraging and friendly and I sincerely thank you. Best of luck and may it take you far.
mj

Karl Card
08-19-2010, 12:48 AM
If I still drank id have a drink on it... but i dont so I will just say congrats and I honestly cant wait to see when John Keeton meets imported exotic woods...

Aaron Wingert
08-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Congrats John...Couldn't happen to a better guy or a more deserving artist.

charlie knighton
08-19-2010, 2:50 AM
congratulations, you have put in a lot of work

neil mackay
08-19-2010, 5:42 AM
Well the wheels of bureaucracy are difficult to figure at the best of times :confused:.

Putting that a side, having seen some of your recent turnings. Its not surprising of the appraisal and your inclusion.

John Keeton
08-19-2010, 7:15 AM
I really appreciate all the kind words! Truly, none of this would be happening were it not for the wealth of knowledge and support offered generously by creekers! In my "former life" as a flatworker, I searched the annals of SMC for information on a variety of topics - there is so much here. When I was drawn to the round side, I did the same. I found this group to be eager to offer help - even moreso than on the flat side. You all are a great group!

Jeff Nicol
08-19-2010, 7:31 AM
John, Just think this all started with a set of table legs and the proding and urging from all of us to continue your course into the turning world! So from table legs to skilled craftsman, turning forum moderator, and now a Juried artist, next will be skilled master to promote and teach the turners of tomorrow where the passion comes from and to never say never!

It has been a great rise and I for one am glad I was along for the ride!

Great achievment my friend,

Jeff

Matt Ranum
08-19-2010, 7:59 AM
Thats awesome John! I know I as well as many others are envious of what you have accomplished in such a short time. You have discovered a truly hidden talent. Enjoy the ride!!

William Hutchinson
08-19-2010, 8:47 AM
Well done Mr. Keeton and congratulations. It appears that your fine work is creating concentric circles of notoriety.

BTW, if you need some photos for the portraiture requirement; let me know.:eek::D

John Keeton
08-19-2010, 9:18 AM
BTW, if you need some photos for the portraiture requirement; let me know.:eek::DWilliam, you certainly have "dressed me up" on a couple of occassions:cool:;).....but, then there were those dreadlocks!!:eek: Before I could turn you loose on this, we would need to have a clear understanding on the image to be put forth!:D:D

bob svoboda
08-19-2010, 9:21 AM
Excellent news John. Many congratulations.

Paul Douglass
08-19-2010, 9:34 AM
Well deserved. Congratulations!

Rob Cunningham
08-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Way to go John. I think they summed it up best on the second sheet - Outstanding!!

steven carter
08-19-2010, 1:36 PM
John,

Congratulations on your achievement, I am not surprised, it is richly deserved. I hope to see some of your work at the Kentucky Arts center they next time I drive by there.

Steve

Jim Underwood
08-19-2010, 2:38 PM
Congratulations John. You've done some absolutely fine work, and it deserves the recognition. This is exciting!

Can I be happy for you, and jealous at the same time?:D

Baxter Smith
08-19-2010, 5:27 PM
Congratulations John! I am very happy for you. It is a great achievement!

Ron Jones near Indy
08-19-2010, 5:37 PM
As you well know, that's quite an accomplishment John. Congratulations!

Cathy Schaewe
08-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Just got back, reading through the old threads, and saw this.
Wonderful! Of course, there was never any doubt ...

Add my congratulations to the long list!;)

James Roberts
08-21-2010, 7:48 PM
Way to go John! I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, your work has continually amazed me and many others here in the Creek. You are officially "Artsy Fartsy":D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-22-2010, 11:28 PM
I am a little late for this party but ................

Congratulations John. I am not the least bit surprised! Your work belongs in this group.

Well deserved my friend!

Steven Green
08-23-2010, 7:12 PM
Congratulations John, my wife and I just got back from Berea. You are traveling in some fine company if what I saw from the displays and for sale are any indication.

John Keeton
08-23-2010, 8:45 PM
Thanks for all the follow up comments!! Steve, you should have let me know you were going to be in the area - we are only about 35 minutes or so from Berea, and that is where the office of the KY Guild is located.

I hope to have some of my turnings in a gallery there, and perhaps in the Artisan Center, although I am not sure that is a good venue for my style of turning.

Neil Strong
08-24-2010, 12:17 AM
They got that right first time.

Way to go!

On the number of years it has taken you to get to this point, don't discount all those years of training your eye before you got to turning. IMO, just as important as technical proficiency.

Reminds me of a comment made by a close friend at one of her exhibition openings. Someone asked her how long it had taken her to paint a particular painting. She suspected it was really one of those 'how can you charge so much for what could have only taken a short time to paint? type of question. So she replied, "It has only taken me about thirty years of painting to get to the point where I could do that painting"...:)

Rex Guinn
08-24-2010, 6:57 AM
Congratulations! Now you just have to start showing at the Fair's and selling your work, but it's more fun to make than to do shows.

Harvey Ghesser
08-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Congratulations, John!

You are indeed a talented man! And thank you for sharing your life and good fortune with us.

Harv

jeremy levine
08-24-2010, 4:24 PM
Frame that note !!