PDA

View Full Version : White Oak Burl HF

David Woodruff
08-18-2010, 4:02 PM
Spalted White Oak Burl with bark inclusions. The photos in my album demonstrate my typical turning process. I will turn the exterior into the desired form. Flatten the base and glue a waste block, then drill a 2" diameter hole with a carbide Forstener to within 1.5" from the bottom. The waste block is absolutely flat as turned on the metal lathe. The base of the work piece is scraped flat with only a very slight concave at the center. The waste block and vase will be glued with medium CA and allowed to cure. Prior to the attachment the two pieces will be indicated and marked as a perfect circle relative to one another then glued. I allow the piece to cure a few days. I will say at this point that through experience I have developed patience. Patience is important to realizing your vision of the finished piece. Anyway I place the face plate, waste block, work piece on the VB and hollow to about a half inch wall. Then I focus on the exterior form, fine tune to my satisfaction and sand, sand, sand. When I am satisfied I seal with a vinyl sealer. Let cure, sand if needed and re-apply vinyl sealer. Whether one is waiting for a sealer to cure or several coats of finish, give it time, forget it. The piece in the photos has been in that condition for two years. No sealer on the inside. I feel that if a piece is sealed well on the exterior and allowed to dry from the inside, less distorion , splitting takes place. Now I will finish the internal hollowing, sanding and sealing. I have about 75 or so pieces in this condition, waiting for me to notice them as in this case today. Actually some may think I am slightly off level, but this particular piece has somehow spoken to me this past week. So I picked it up dry sanded with 1200 to knock off orange peel and a few minor runs,,and hand buffed with Liberon 0000 steel wool and took photos. The nice benefit of waiting, not days, not weeks, not even months, is that the very well cured coating is hard and can be sanded without breakthrough into the center of the run. We all know what that looks like; uck. Please take your time, Forget the piece, the finish, the moisture escape and stabilization, dried from the inside out and I will guarantee you will be happier with your creation. I am 70 now and I am finishing pieces that I rough turned ten years ago. Again Do not be in a hurry, if you love turning like I do, you are gonna be turning the rest of your life. A few Creekers have asked me to provide the detail of my finishing techniques that I demo'ed to many AAW chapters. I am updating the paper and will post in the near future

This treatise was longer than I expected, it is a statement of the sum of my turning/finishing experience. I can turn a piece in a day and have. I love Madrone turned wet and thin, let it warp, try it. The rest of the plant specie requires more time; depending upon your expectations.

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Very interesting vase David! Pretty wood and I really like all the inclusions! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Pretty wood and a very interesting vase.

John Keeton
08-19-2010, 7:22 AM
David, very nice wood, great form, and an even better tutorial on your finishing schedule! Thanks.