PDA

View Full Version : Low End Speed

Andrew Kertesz
08-18-2010, 3:53 PM
I know I am going to get a wide variety of answers on this, but here goes: How critical is low end speed on a lathe. I am going to be upgrading soon and want to do my homework.

Thanks,
Andy K.

Bob Bergstrom
08-18-2010, 3:58 PM
Vital unless you only turn pens::D

Roger Chandler
08-18-2010, 4:04 PM
for bowls, especially those that start with an out of balance blank [log] you need a very slow speed to start out with until you get the blank trued up and balanced. Think 200 rpm or 250 maybe.

A variable speed lathe is the way to go, and if you can get one that doesn't need a lot of belt changes all the better.

good luck!

Mike Minto
08-18-2010, 4:05 PM
Andrew, I have found it to be VERY important, if one is working with unbalanced/green/large pieces. The slower speed allows one to more safely round a piece, balancing the forces imparted by the lathe spinning the wood.
Speed kills.

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2010, 4:18 PM
I agree with Mike - I find speed ranges to be very important! When dealing with out-of-round blanks - it doesn't take much speed to get your lathe to start vibrating or even start walking across the floor! The problem is compounded should the unbalanced blank decide to come off the lathe!

When I upgraded my lathe - variable speed was the main thing I was looking for.

Looking forward to seeing your new lathe - when it happens!

Kyle Iwamoto
08-18-2010, 4:18 PM
I would consider it very vital, since my big "lathe" is a Shopsmith, and with teh minimum speed at 700 RPM, turning anything bigger than 8" is, well, exciting......

There are ways to minimize the vibrations, you can try to balance the blank prior to engaging warp drive, but it's pretty exciting. 700 RPMs require a pre-bablanced blank, and even then it wobbles a lot.

Matt Hutchinson
08-18-2010, 4:29 PM
Another vote for "It's extremely important." The actual rpms desired at the low end will certainly be contingent on the diameter of work being spun. That said, you can't go wrong with an electronic variable speed lathe, even if it can't go below 50 rpms.

Hutch

bob svoboda
08-18-2010, 4:45 PM
When I upgraded I went from a minimum speed of 600 rpm to 50 rpm-A world of difference!

Aaron Wingert
08-18-2010, 5:05 PM
It makes a world of difference when sanding, that's for sure. The benefit of variable speed controls on some/many lathes is great because it allows you a lot of flexibility within each belt setting, and lets you drop the RPM's lower than you could with belts alone. You don't know how handy it is until you have it!

Reed Gray
08-18-2010, 7:24 PM
I think of variable speed to be the greatest thing for lathes since electric motors. The frequency drives for the 3 phase motors are super. As said by others, unbalanced blanks of wood are much easier to do if you have true variable speed. The Nova DVR turns off at 100 rpm, the Jet, PM, and other similar models turn off at 50 rpm. I had my Robust adjusted so it turns off at about 10 rpm. I use the slow speed for sanding my warped bowls, and it is impossible to keep your abrasives on a warped bowl at speeds above about 25 rpm, even for slightly warped bowls. Most turning speeds start around 200 or so.

robo hippy

Leo Van Der Loo
08-18-2010, 9:50 PM
I know I am going to get a wide variety of answers on this, but here goes: How critical is low end speed on a lathe. I am going to be upgrading soon and want to do my homework.

Thanks,
Andy K.

Andy both mass and low speed capability are very important if you want to turn anything like bowls from green wood or tree logs.

Though the low RPM's can be had for just a few hundred $$, the mass is usually more expensive, so buy the best and biggest you can afford, it will make your turning so much easier to do and safer as well

Here's a picture of a crotch blank that isn't easily balanced, and while my lathe will drop down to 73 rpm if needed, the mass of this lathe had me swinging this blank at about 1000 rpm, just to show the steadiness of the lathe, I placed a spacer washer on the lathe and it just sits there while the blank is spinning :)

Joe Shinall
08-18-2010, 9:55 PM
My lowest speed is 760. I just have a cheap mini lathe. I can turn up to about 8 inches so speed isn't too much of a deal for me, but I can definitely see how much more control I would have with a much lower speed. My next lathe will at least go down to about 200.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2010, 10:40 PM
I would say vital. My low speed on my first was 500 rpm. When I could go down to 100 rpm it made a world of difference especially when turning 14" or larger out of round blanks.

Andrew Kertesz
08-19-2010, 5:46 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I like the Jet 1642 EVS and the Grizzly 0698. I don't have 220, but the Grizzly is listed about 135 lbs heavier shipping weight.

Roger Chandler
08-19-2010, 8:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I like the Jet 1642 EVS and the Grizzly 0698. I don't have 220, but the Grizzly is listed about 135 lbs heavier shipping weight.

Andrew,

I have the Grizzly G0698, and I love it! It is a smooth, quiet performer, and has features that will match up with machines costing twice as much.

The Jet is good and so is the powermatic. you could not go wrong with any of the 3 in my opinion, FWIW :)

Paul Douglass
08-19-2010, 9:42 AM
For me it is even important in making pens. When doing a CA finish I apply the CA coats at the slowest speed on my lathe, around 300 rpms.