PDA

View Full Version : sq drive screws - ???

Dave Lame
08-18-2010, 3:33 PM
Another novice question.

McFeeleys makes a big deal out of their "wonderful" square drive screws. Are they a substantial improvement over phillips? Are screws from McFeeleys better than HD or Lowes?

Dave

Lance Norris
08-18-2010, 3:37 PM
Ive been using square drive screws for several years now. I buy them from Hartville Hardware(Hartville Tool). I cant comment on the ones from McFeeleys, but I can tell you that they are (square drive) much better in my opinion than phillips screws. They dont slip like phillips when driving or removing. I wont ever use phillips again.

Phillip Ngan
08-18-2010, 3:38 PM
Here in Canada, we almost exclusively square drive screws. Because they "stick" to the driver more than Philips I find you can load them onto a driver and then insert the screw into its hole with the driver attached -- of course, not completely, but more so than the Philips screws. In my mind this makes the square drive easier and faster to use.

The innovation of the Philips screw was to allow the drive to cam out instead of stripping the head when the screw was fully inserted. However today even cheap drivers have a torque limiting clutch mechanism which means that its OK to use a snug fitting head such as the square head.

Dave Gaul
08-18-2010, 3:41 PM
Dave,

Square drive is a huge improvement over phillips IYAM... square drive make the bit stay put better than phillips. Some say star drive is the way to go though.

I got tired of running to HD/Lowes for screws that often break. I shopped at McFeely's website. I now have tons of screws! They have a nice assortment of 5lbs or 10lbs of screws that I use for utilitarian things, like hanging shelves/cabinets in the shop. I got one of their nice screw sets that come with the plastic bins, that I intend to make a nice storage cabinet for...

IIRC, Lowes/HD only have the deck screws in square drive. McFeely's gives you many options in material & finish for your screws... others like the Highpoint brand too...

Rod Sheridan
There are two "square drive" screw systems.

The original (and best) is the Canadian Robertson screw. It has a slight taper to the screwdriver tip and screw recess.

The second best is the "square drive" which doesn't seem to have any taper, and often the screws and bits are of inferior material/precision when compared to the Robertson design.

That said, the worst square drive is better than the best Philips.

Regards, Rod.

Ben Hatcher
I prefer square drive screws. Like the others have said, they stick to the driver by themselves, don't tend to strip out, and are far easier to drive since there's no need to "lean into" the driver to keep it from popping out of the screw head.

Prashun Patel
08-18-2010, 3:43 PM
McFeely's screws are as a rule better than most of the stuff at HD - with the exception (IMHO) of the Deckmate screws and the Spax screws - but not just because of the head style.

glenn bradley
08-18-2010, 4:04 PM
Another novice question.

McFeeleys makes a big deal out of their "wonderful" square drive screws. Are they a substantial improvement over phillips?

Yes

Are screws from McFeeleys better than HD or Lowes?

Yes

Try a sample pack, you'll never go back. I use slot and phillips where appropriate for decorative purposes only. All functional fasteners are high quality square drive whenever possible. I did hear once about someone breaking one but I can't imagine what he was trying to do ;-)

Will Overton
08-18-2010, 4:06 PM
I love when people say Roberson screws are better than McFeely's. I've heard it before and seen this before also. The first time was a number of years ago, and most recently a few months ago.

"McFeely's Square Drive Screws
Daniel,

I think you may have misunderstood our claims. We actually work with the Robertson company and have since our inception. They're one of our biggest suppliers and I think they would tell you that we've done as much as anyone to market the square drive screw in the US.

Also, our #8 x 2-1/2" FSL screw (standard dry lube, square drive) is less than $7 per box.

Again, I'm not sure how we got off on the wrong foot but we're by no means trying to claim that we're the original source of these items.

Give me a call if you'd like to discuss. I've been with the company since 1997 and I'm a straight-shooter.

Ron Pegram at 608-662-3317. "

Brice Burrell
08-18-2010, 4:10 PM
There are two "square drive" screw systems.

The original (and best) is the Canadian Robertson screw. It has a slight taper to the screwdriver tip and screw recess.

The second best is the "square drive" which doesn't seem to have any taper, and often the screws and bits are of inferior material/precision when compared to the Robertson design.

That said, the worst square drive is better than the best Philips.

Regards, Rod.

Yeah, there is a big difference between knock offs and the real deal with both the Robertson/square and real Philips II and their copies. Most people have never used real Philips II screws and bits, they are a big step up from the knock offs. BTW, Philips screw were originally designed for manufacturing and supposed to cam out easily when set.

Brice Burrell
08-18-2010, 4:15 PM
The one thing I'd mention about McFeely's is that they're going to more and more items made over seas. I've noticed more combo drive screws lately and I'd guess that's because they're cutting costs by not paying Roberson.

Dave Lehnert
08-18-2010, 4:25 PM
I use nothing but square drive. I like the square X kind. I can use square drive in the shop but someone can use a Philips if needed in the future. Most homeowners do not own a square driver.

I get them from a local Rockler store.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2205&filter=screws

Will Overton
08-18-2010, 4:26 PM
The one thing I'd mention about McFeely's is that they're going to more and more items made over seas. I've noticed more combo drive screws lately and I'd guess that's because they're cutting costs by not paying Roberson.

Unlike Robertson's manufacturing plant in China;

128 Jingjia Ave.
Jiashan Economic Development Zone
Jiaxing, Zhejiang,
China 314100

http://www.robertsonscrew.com/index.html

Maybe that's where McFeely is getting there imports from????

John Nesmith
08-18-2010, 5:08 PM
Another vote for Mcfeely's SD screws. Load up on a variety of sizes. I did several years ago, and still have enough to last for years to come.

Mark Woodmark
08-18-2010, 5:32 PM
Another novice question.

McFeeleys makes a big deal out of their "wonderful" square drive screws. Are they a substantial improvement over phillips? Are screws from McFeeleys better than HD or Lowes?

Dave

Yes I believe they are much better than phillips and/or torx. The square drive will not strip out and the fit onto the driver bit is tight enough to put the screw on this bit without fear of it falling off. The Stainless and brass are a little softer than the hardened steel. The only problem I have had with them is snapping the head off every once in a while. When I use screws, I almost always use square drive stainless steel or brass. The seller listed below is a little cheaper than McFeeleys

http://www.manasquanfasteners.com/decking_screws_flathead

Jack Clark
08-18-2010, 5:38 PM
The more I use these the more I love em:

www.screw-products.com

Thom Porterfield
08-18-2010, 5:45 PM
We have all had phillips screws strip out and the most common cause of this is the driver climbing up out of the slots. If the driver is made of harder metal than the screw, which is most often the case, the screw is almost instantaneously ruined. Yet a driver with a good sharp bit (and a clutch if using a power driver) and careful pressure on the screw will eliminate most of this problem.

I have had more square drive screws rounded out that I care to recall. Perhaps it's because of shoddy manufacture in either the screw (most likely) or the bits. This became so much of a problem, especially with heavy duty applications (framing), that I gave up on them.

Now, for those heavy-duty applications, I use torx (star) drive. I have NEVER had one fail at the bit-screw head interface. I have had some screw heads snap off, however. The bits are straight sided (not tapered) so they do not climb out. There is 50% more surface area for the bit to grab (6 edges vs 4). The only problem I have with torx is that not enough screw sizes/types are made using this configuration.

ETA. While I was writing the above, Jack posted. It would appear there is an increasingly larger variety of torx screws available. Thanks for the link, Jack.

Mark Woodmark
08-18-2010, 5:54 PM
We have all had phillips screws strip out and the most common cause of this is the driver climbing up out of the slots. If the driver is made of harder metal than the screw, which is most often the case, the screw is almost instantaneously ruined. Yet a driver with a good sharp bit (and a clutch if using a power driver) and careful pressure on the screw will eliminate most of this problem.

I have had more square drive screws rounded out that I care to recall. Perhaps it's because of shoddy manufacture in either the screw (most likely) or the bits. This became so much of a problem, especially with heavy duty applications (framing), that I gave up on them.

Now, for those heavy-duty applications, I use torx (star) drive. I have NEVER had one fail at the bit-screw head interface. I have had some screw heads snap off, however. The bits are straight sided (not tapered) so they do not climb out. There is 50% more surface area for the bit to grab (6 edges vs 4). The only problem I have with torx is that not enough screw sizes/types are made using this configuration.

ETA. While I was writing the above, Jack posted. It would appear there is an increasingly larger variety of torx screws available. Thanks for the link, Jack.

I have had as much problems with the torx as the phillips. The problem is the wall thickness between the "fins" on a torx. They are too thin and easy to deform and strip out. Square drive doesnt have this issue. Once the driver bit is seated in the screw correctly, it has been my experience that you will snap the head off before you strip it out

Thom Porterfield
08-18-2010, 6:04 PM
Well, with any screw system, it is important to have the bit properly seated in the slot(s) of the screw. I don't know what torx screws you use that strip out. The variety I get from my local lumber yard are quite strong. I use sizes from 1-1/2" to 3-1/2". I drive them with a battery-powered impact driver (the black and white L-ion Makita) and even while taking out the warp in a kiln-dried 2x6, I have, as I said, NEVER experienced any sort of failure at the bit-screw interface--i.e. no strip out whatsoever. Granted, I haven't used a non-clutched driver with them. Why would I? The impact driver is loud but it nudges the screw home without complaint. I am convinced that a standard flat head screw with torx is stronger than the screw shaft. The reason? I've had torx screws snap, but never strip out.

Stuart Gardner
08-18-2010, 6:10 PM
Another novice question.

Dave

Oh Yeah - Definitely

Adam Cavaliere
08-18-2010, 6:54 PM
I just tried them for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I plan on buying many more and never looking back!

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-18-2010, 9:06 PM
Been using McFeeley's for over 15 years. Don't buy anything else.

Gary Herrmann
08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Very happy with all the squaredrives I've bought from McFeelys.

Lee Ludden
08-18-2010, 10:31 PM
I've been using the SPAX (http://www.mcfeelys.com/spax) fasteners. McFeelys carries them as does HD. They are grade 5 steel and I have yet to twist one off. I use their 4" lags to mount my shop cabinets and the 1 1/4" multi-material ones for screwing to MDF and plywood.

Depending on which you get they can have either Robinson/Phillips combo heads or Torx.

Curt Harms
08-19-2010, 9:36 AM
I used to have problems with phillips screws camming out when driving with a drill driver. I have yet to have one phillips cam out when driven with an impact driver.

Cliff Holmes
08-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I've been happy with Highpoint screws from WoodCraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/Category/1005272/Screws.aspx). Not as large a selection as McFeeley's in finishes and sizes, but considerably less expensive, too.

Brad Sperr
08-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Another +1 for McFeeley's. I would recommend getting a sample pack of their basic unplated square drives to have around the house. I've bought similar square drive screws from Lowes, and the heads kept shearing off when using an impact driver. I haven't had any problems with McFeeley's screws.

Mike Zilis
08-19-2010, 12:19 PM
I recently switched over to only using SPAX screws and the Bosch Combo bit driver (Phillips plus Robertson). I used McFeely's for the purchase. The shipping was only $1 (current promotion) for UPS Ground.

The SPAX screws are very good quality and the Combo Bit gives me great grip. I have had problems in the past with square drive screws rounding out and we all know the issues with Phillips heads. This newer bit gives me the best results.

-Mike

Greg Portland
08-19-2010, 12:35 PM
MdFeely's is currently running a 25/25/25 promotion where you get 25 types of screws (25 each) for $25. I believe you also get a few driver bits with that as well. If you haven't tried square drive screws it's a good way to try out a bunch of different sizes and head types cheaply.

Be aware that there are 3 common square drive sizes (#1,2, & 3). Make sure you're using the right size bit (most WWing screws use #2).

Jesse Wilson
08-19-2010, 2:11 PM
I cry when I don't have the square drive screw I need for a job and then have to revert back to Phillips.

Square drive is the only way to go IMHO, once you try it you'll never go back.

Cliff Holmes
08-19-2010, 2:55 PM
MdFeely's is currently running a 25/25/25 promotion

Where do you see that?

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-19-2010, 4:23 PM
Another novice question.

Dave

Their Star drive screws are simply the best.
All the BORG square drive screws I've used cam out and strip easily.

Alan Schwabacher
08-19-2010, 5:08 PM
A year or two ago one of the magazines (Woodworking?) did a test by running lots of screws into hard maple without a pilot hole. Of the screws they got from the Borg, 100% sheared off. Of the McFeely's and Spax screws, 0% sheared off. And the McFeely's screws were the lowest cost screws in the test. I buy from McFeely's now. They carry a wide range of things.

As far as the sampler deal, just go to mcfeelys.com and click on the "free shipping offer" in the left column and it will explain.

Ken Garlock
08-19-2010, 5:48 PM
Where do you see that?

Hi Cliff. I received an Email flyer about the 25-25-25 deal.

However, you can go the McFeely website and do a "find" on 25-25-25 and it will take you directly to the sale.

Paul Ryan
08-19-2010, 7:18 PM
I recently switched over to only using SPAX screws and the Bosch Combo bit driver (Phillips plus Robertson). I used McFeely's for the purchase. The shipping was only $1 (current promotion) for UPS Ground.

The SPAX screws are very good quality and the Combo Bit gives me great grip. I have had problems in the past with square drive screws rounding out and we all know the issues with Phillips heads. This newer bit gives me the best results.

-Mike

I have been using the Bosch combo bit as well. I like it since I use both philips and square. The screws at the BORGs are in general junk. Unless they are a name brand screw. McFeely's screws are higher quality. However the only advantage a square drive has over a philips in my mind is the fact it will stay on the driver by itself. I have had just as many square drive screws round over as philips. The problem most have is that the majority of phlips screws out there are made of cheap material and tolerances. The majority of square drive that we started using were made with better materials and tolerances. If you go to the BORG today and buy cheap square and philips both will strip out evenly. I have used lbs of torx and believe they are the best screws out there. But I hate looking for the special bit so I only use them when I have a huge project. Like a deck or something like that.

Terry Welty
08-19-2010, 8:25 PM
Love my McFeely's...

Here is a link to the 25 -25 -25 Sale...

http://co124w.col124.mail.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

If the good people at McFeely's want to send me freebies..... It is perfectly ok to do so!!

Great Screws!!!!:)

Cliff Holmes
08-19-2010, 9:51 PM
I think that's a link to the message in your hotmail account ...

Jim Becker
08-19-2010, 9:58 PM
I only use Robertson/square drive screws and yes, I very much like the product I get from McFeeley's.

Jack Lemley
08-20-2010, 8:57 AM
I've used McFeeley's screws for about 25 years. I've never snapped one off in the wood or reamed out a square slot in a screw. I have and still use the original 2 1/2 inch sqaure drive bit that I received with my first McFeeleys order.

My vote and business goes to McFeeley

Jack

Greg Portland
08-20-2010, 2:58 PM
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/25-25-25/McFeelys-Most-Popular-Assortment

Van Huskey
08-20-2010, 3:05 PM
I like square drive and love McF for them. I have snapped a couple but only using an impact driver and doing something I shouldn't most of the time.

David Giles
08-21-2010, 8:27 PM
I love square drive screws especially for church projects. You know, the ones that have to be taken apart later. Phillips screws go in, but cam out and are often impossible to remove. Square drive go in and come out cleanly.

Dave Lewis
08-31-2010, 10:17 PM
I prefer star-drive - GRK are the best that I've found. Not cheap, but the local lumber-yards in central NH carry them.

Alos note that the size of the star driver seems to be proprietary - I've bought a cheaper brand before GRK and they don't fit tight.

Gordon Eyre
08-13-2013, 7:24 PM
I bought a good assortment of Robertson screws from McFeely's a number of years ago and have been using them ever since. Good product.

John M Wilson
08-13-2013, 8:32 PM
Hi Jamie!

Welcome to the Creek!

Since this post is approximately 3 years old, I'm betting that the original poster has become well-versed in the joy of using square drive screws...

Frederick Skelly
08-13-2013, 9:58 PM
I use the mcfeelys. I love them. Are they better? Dont know. But they work really well for me.

Jim Mackell
08-14-2013, 7:56 AM
I use the mcfeelys. I love them. Are they better? Dont know. But they work really well for me. Fred, you're replying to a three year old thread.

Rod Sheridan
08-14-2013, 2:53 PM
Fred, you're replying to a three year old thread.

Jim, the love of good screws is timeless................Rod.