PDA

View Full Version : Figured Black Walnut bowl 9½" x 4½"

Leo Van Der Loo
08-18-2010, 2:45 PM
I got this 2 stemmed Walnut stump from a friend a couple of years ago and cut it up and rough turned some bowls out of it.
This is one that came from the crotch area and it twisted a fair bit and did get a small split in it, so it has sat waiting for me to get to it, tho the split bothered me a bit, anyway I finally decided to finish it and fill the split, turned it quite thin but for the rim, (it will show light through the light colored wall if held up close to it).
I used some sanding dust with the coffee ground and it looks better on the side where I used the wood dust :).
Any and all comments are welcome as always :)
158732 158735

Aaron Wingert
08-18-2010, 2:50 PM
Splits or not you've got a real looker there Leo. The heartwood and sapwood really contrast each other nicely and the grain is wild! I like the form as well!

bob svoboda
08-18-2010, 3:02 PM
Leo, that's really pretty. I'm always amazed at how you put a different spin on each piece you do. I really like the curvature of the piece and the rim detail. The wood is beautiful and you certainly did it justice.

Roger Chandler
08-18-2010, 3:05 PM
Really, I mean really pretty piece of black walnut. Love the contrast, pretty form, and the finish must be more of that polymerized oil you keep referring to because the chatoyance shows up on the contrasting grain and heartwood/sapwood covergence areas.

Hey, you just turned a project out of wood that I have some of the same species [I think, unless you tell me that black walnut in Canada is different from black walnut in Virginia ? :eek:]

Thanks for sharing Leo!.......:cool::)

David E Keller
08-18-2010, 3:09 PM
That's nice, Leo. Who doesn't love figured walnut? You really excel at beautiful and functional bowl forms. Thanks.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-18-2010, 3:22 PM
Leo, I really love the form of this bowl, it reminds me of one of my live oak forms. The wood is simply beautiful and I like the finish you chose. Hey, a crack is a crack and adds character in my opinion. Great job!;)

Bob Bergstrom
08-18-2010, 4:03 PM
Makes me want to go and buy some chocolate marble ice cream. Beautiful work Leo. Always a joy to see your turnings.

John Keeton
08-18-2010, 4:21 PM
Leo, most walnut bowls are either all heartwood, or primarily heartwood with a little sapwood. This is a striking combination, and one I had not considered - primarily sapwood. Makes for a beautiful bowl, and well done by you as always.

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2010, 4:32 PM
Another great looking bowl! Really like the swirl patterns in the grain! Always enjoy your turnings Leo! Thanks for sharing!

David DeCristoforo
08-18-2010, 4:45 PM
Typical of you Leo. Beautiful, subtle, understated, meticulously executed, flawlessly finished. Exactly what I have come to expect every time I look at one of your posts. I'm never disappointed.

Pete Jordan
08-18-2010, 5:01 PM
Leo,

Great as usual! I love the color!

Van Huskey
08-18-2010, 5:48 PM
I love that bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2010, 10:56 PM
That is a striking bowl Leo. I really like the form and finish.

charlie knighton
08-19-2010, 2:51 AM
very nice....

Baxter Smith
08-19-2010, 5:44 PM
That is a beautiful bowl Leo. I know I wouldn't have seen a great looking bowl inside that piece of walnut. The heartwood is a great accent that really sets it off. It reminded me of a dish of ice cream with the hot fudge sauce still waiting to be scraped up!:)

Leo Van Der Loo
08-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Splits or not you've got a real looker there Leo. The heartwood and sapwood really contrast each other nicely and the grain is wild! I like the form as well!

Thanks Aaron :), yes usually if you get one you have to take the other, wild grain and warping (cause of split), but it is nice wood, so I'm pleased :)

Really, I mean really pretty piece of black walnut. Love the contrast, pretty form, and the finish must be more of that polymerized oil you keep referring to because the chatoyance shows up on the contrasting grain and heartwood/sapwood covergence areas.

Hey, you just turned a project out of wood that I have some of the same species [I think, unless you tell me that black walnut in Canada is different from black walnut in Virginia ? ]

Thanks for sharing Leo!.......:cool::)

Thanks Roger :), yes the finish is my favorite Polymerized tung from Lee Valley, all of 4 coats ;) and polished
There's only one kind of Black Walnut IMO, so yes you do have the same stuff over there, it just grows much slower here generally, that's sometimes good, and other times not so good.

That's nice, Leo. Who doesn't love figured walnut? You really excel at beautiful and functional bowl forms. Thanks.

Thank you David :), yes certainly a good looking wood, and I love turning, and that goes well together

Leo, that's really pretty. I'm always amazed at how you put a different spin on each piece you do. I really like the curvature of the piece and the rim detail. The wood is beautiful and you certainly did it justice.

Thanks Bob :D, I do love turning and as each piece of wood is different, the outcome changes every time ;-))

Leo, I really love the form of this bowl, it reminds me of one of my live oak forms. The wood is simply beautiful and I like the finish you chose. Hey, a crack is a crack and adds character in my opinion. Great job!

Chris thank you :), it is one of my favorite forms, it reminds me of the cast iron pots that used to be around and I always like that shape :D

Makes me want to go and buy some chocolate marble ice cream. Beautiful work Leo. Always a joy to see your turnings.

Hé Bob goforit :cool:, the contrasting colors sure does attracts the attention, and I do like that also :)

Leo, most walnut bowls are either all heartwood, or primarily heartwood with a little sapwood. This is a striking combination, and one I had not considered - primarily sapwood. Makes for a beautiful bowl, and well done by you as always.

Hi John, thanks:), the thing with Walnut is that the users (flatwork) do want all dark wood, and so it used to be rolled in a pond and let sit for a considerable length of time so the sap wood would get dark by the staining of the heartwood, the process is still used, but by steaming the wood and thus shortening the time to a mere days or weeks.
Also the sapwood is quite a considerable amount compared the the dark heartwood, very often 3 or more inches all around, I wouldn't often be able to make a 12" bowl if only using dark wood also I find the original dark heartwood a nicer looking color than the steamed wood, and yes I do like the contrast of the light and dark.

Another great looking bowl! Really like the swirl patterns in the grain! Always enjoy your turnings Leo! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Steve :D, I was looking for that figured grain when I cut the stump, didn't look for it to split though, but I can't win em all I guess, when taking cuts like that you know the chance of splits are there.
I am pleased with the overall look and I expect someone will like that bowl, or else it's a keeper :rolleyes: Ha

Leo Van Der Loo
08-20-2010, 1:01 AM
Typical of you Leo. Beautiful, subtle, understated, meticulously executed, flawlessly finished. Exactly what I have come to expect every time I look at one of your posts. I'm never disappointed.

That's a very gratifying evaluation coming from you David, thank you :D, I'll try to keep it that way :)

Leo,

Great as usual! I love the color!

Thanks for your comment Pete :D

I love that bowl!

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it :D

That is a striking bowl Leo. I really like the form and finish.

Hé thank you Bernie :) :cool:

very nice....

Thank you Charlie :)

That is a beautiful bowl Leo. I know I wouldn't have seen a great looking bowl inside that piece of walnut. The heartwood is a great accent that really sets it off. It reminded me of a dish of ice cream with the hot fudge sauce still waiting to be scraped up!:)

Thanks for commenting Baxter:D, I was hoping for the figured grain when I cut the stump piece up Baxter, the stump didn't look that promising, but then the darn roughout split on me and it did bother me, now I think it would be nicer without of course but it isn't too bad as the color and grain are compensating it a lot
Here's a picture of that stump it came out off.

brian watts
08-20-2010, 4:39 AM
SWEET. very nice piece of wood..

David Helm
08-20-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm not a turner, but I do work with a lot of "natural" wood. Splits, to me, are quite beautiful. They remind me that it is WOOD from a TREE that I'm working with. And also, they give the piece character.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-20-2010, 4:45 PM
SWEET. very nice piece of wood..

Thanks for commenting Brian :), I appreciate it

I'm not a turner, but I do work with a lot of "natural" wood. Splits, to me, are quite beautiful. They remind me that it is WOOD from a TREE that I'm working with. And also, they give the piece character.

Thanks David :), yes it is wood, though for me controlling the wood so there are no splits is something I try to do, but for it being a natural product I have not always been successful in that regard, though I still can love the look of it, split and all :D