PDA

View Full Version : First little HF with NanoTools

Alan Zenreich
08-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Two firsts for me. First little hollowform, and first time using the NanoTools.

Very comfortable system.

The wood is dry mahogany, about 2" tall. Wall thickness is a bit less than 1/10".

After ejnoying turning this piece with the straight and angled cutter, I also ordered and recieved the accessory round carbide (I'm fond of carbide tools) and the steel scraper cutters... and two extra handles.

Though this was purely a hollowing exercise, I am considering adding another first... possibly a finial or lid. Or I may just leave it alone... there are other projects to start.

Roger Chandler
08-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Really neat! Both the turning and the tools! The shape of the tools reminds me a little of the shape of my larger hollowing tools.

Michael James
08-18-2010, 2:07 PM
Nice job! I've been fooling with small pieces too and like the fact that it is not a huge lumber commitment!:cool:
carry on.
mj

Chris Colman
08-18-2010, 2:33 PM
Very interesting!

I have been making my own micro tools for minis. I will have to look into Nanotools.

John Keeton
08-18-2010, 2:56 PM
I have noticed that my future planned projects seem to be getting smaller, but you guys are getting beyond my visual acuity with this stuff!!!:eek:;)

David E Keller
08-18-2010, 3:06 PM
I love the idea of really small forms. Some of the more exotic woods are unavailable or prohibitively expensive for larger work, so miniatures are a great way to experiment. The diversity of woods available is also one of the things that continues to keep me interested in pens.

That's for the report on the nano tools... I'm looking forward to big(or rather small) things from you in the future.

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2010, 3:46 PM
That looks pretty cool! I can see how having really small tools would work great on Christmas ornaments!

Have fun hollowing! Looking forward to seeing what's next!

Alan Zenreich
08-18-2010, 3:57 PM
Thanks all. I burned the two thin black lines in the HF thinking that Lauren would like to practice some pyrography between those lines.

However, she decided that since this was my first HF, she didn't want to risk messing it up. I may yet get her to reconsider... I like collaborating with the lady.

Van Huskey
08-18-2010, 5:50 PM
I am a big fan of small forms, and that one is very cool.

Nick Fournier
08-18-2010, 5:51 PM
Those tools and the HF look really interesting. Does anyone know where the tools can be purchased?

Alan Zenreich
08-18-2010, 5:59 PM
Nick,

I can't post a link to the Nano Tools site here, so I'll send you a private message.

Unfortunately a Google search does not bring up their web site.

Andy Hoyt
08-18-2010, 7:44 PM
Cool stuff, Alan.

Go ahead and post the Nano site.

As long as it's not a forum, or that you're actually Mr. Nano the link should be okay.

George Guadiane
08-18-2010, 8:19 PM
Cool stuff, Alan.

Go ahead and post the Nano site.

As long as it's not a forum, or that you're actually Mr. Nano the link should be okay.
Alan,
Nice job on the hollow form (especially for a first attempt!).
I'm a beta tester for the Nano... I think Steve asked me because I'm so hard on tools (If I can't break em they're ready for the rest of the world).
Andy, thanks for the consent on the link:
The Nano Revolution (http://www.nanotoolsr.us/www.nanotoolsr.us/HOME.html)

I have some of the beading tools and am really impressed with how well they work too.

Jon Lanier
08-18-2010, 8:42 PM
Okay, so just how did you get the quarter to stand up like that?

Alan Zenreich
08-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Jon,

In a former life, I was a commercial photographer. Most of my time was spent getting things to stand up that didn't want to stand up by themselves.

I this case, it was simple... a little piece of wax stuck to the back of the quarter was all it took to stand it up.

Alan Zenreich
08-18-2010, 10:27 PM
George,

I have their smallest beader too... very cool little tool, I'll try it out on a future HF piece. So far, I've only tested it out on some pendants.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Cool turnings and tools. Really a nice piece.

gary Zimmel
08-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Cool tiny turnings Alan. I'm thinking even a small catch would spell disaster..:eek: