PDA

View Full Version : 15" Planer

Gale Castner
12-10-2004, 8:41 PM
Seriously looking to buy a 15" planer, I'm kinda leaning toward Delta but no decision yet. Would appreciate any comments, suggestions about good value & performance in a 15" planer. Also, anyone familiar with International Tools (think their in Florida)?
Thanks in advance.

Dennis McDonaugh
12-10-2004, 9:00 PM
Gale, I had a Jet 15"--mechanically it was great and I'd recommend it based on performance and reliability. I think it has a problem in common with a lot of other designs. The motor is stationary and the bed moves which means you have to adjust the auxillary outfeed when planing. If you do a lot of long stock it can be a major pain.

Jim Becker
12-10-2004, 9:37 PM
International Tools is a good vendor. I've visited their store while in Florida a few times (SIL lives right around the corner...) and even bought my mortiser from them. But given you're in Lancaster, you might want to trot over to Wilke in York to see what they carry. Good company and local to you.

Dick Parr
12-10-2004, 9:39 PM
Gale I have the Grizzly 15" closed base planer and love it and the bed is stationary which I like. I have run a couple thousand BF of red oak through mine and it is cutting almost like new. Sure beats the 12" Ryobi I started with.

Michael Barry
12-10-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm very familiar with International Tools. I live nearby. They are nice people to deal with and they will beat any price you can find on any item they stock.
I usually buy my big ticket items at a great sale they run every November, but even their regular prices are very competitive.

Ed Moehlenpah
12-11-2004, 2:22 AM
I've been very happy with it.
Ed

Gary Max
12-11-2004, 2:44 AM
I like Jim's answer--the folks over at Wilke are real Good to work with. Just wish I was closer I would buy more from them myself.

Brian Hale
12-11-2004, 5:35 AM
Yep, stop by Wilke and check out the Bridgewood and Yorkcraft planers. I've got the Bridgewood 15" and it's a fine machine, just make sure you've got a DC to suck the chips out. You can't run one without it.

Brian

Ted Shrader
12-11-2004, 1:53 PM
Gale -

Since you are close to Wilke, make a visit and do some touching.

I have an older Powermatic 15" that I am happy with. The new model (15S) has cast iron infeed and outfeed tables, an angled DC hook up and a spiral cutter head.

Any reputable brand will work. Pick the features/layout (even color :) ) that appeals to you.

Rgards,
Ted

Gale Castner
12-12-2004, 6:45 AM
Thanks for all the comments, guys. Good point Jim, I will check out Wilke...I've been real happy with my Bridgewood jointer. Since I will be planing a lot of 8' stock, I really appreciate Dennis's comment, I don't have to keep tweaking outboard supports. A new planer is going to force me to review my DC situtation. The 'war department' has a little trouble understanding the cascade effect of a new tool, anybody else deal with this?

Again, Thanks for all the input...I sure will consider International Tools, wish I'd know about the Nov. sale a little sooner.
Gale Castner

Frank Pellow
12-12-2004, 7:49 AM
... The 'war department' has a little trouble understanding the cascade effect of a new tool, anybody else deal with this?
Gale Castner
Yes, but never with health/safety related items such as dust control, hearing and eye protection, and push sticks.

Jim Barrett
12-12-2004, 8:51 AM
Take a look at the General Intl line of planers as well. I ordered a General 350 TS, 12" jointer and 15" planer with cast ext tables. http://www.general.ca/images/circulaire/us/us-3.jpg

Since I placed an order for these 3 machines, General is shipping them free to a trucking company fairly close to my home. From there it is up to me to pick up or have the trucking company deliver. A really good deal... saving me hundred(s) of dollare $$$ on shipping fees!

JIm

Jim Becker
12-12-2004, 8:59 AM
Since I will be planing a lot of 8' stock, I really appreciate Dennis's comment, I don't have to keep tweaking outboard supports.
One thing to remember is that these stationary planers are a little less sensitive on the infeed/outfeed support adjustments than the portable planers are due to the way that the whole mechanism is wider/deeper and so forth. With mine, I don't use any extra infeed/outfeed support and as long as I hold the ends of the board up at the beginning and end of the cut, I get no snipe. But the point about motor up/down vs. table up/down is a good one and something to be considered when you think about how you might want to work with the tool. Fortunately, both designs are available on the market; sometimes from the same label!

Ken Salisbury
12-12-2004, 3:17 PM
I have a 15" Jet which is 15 yrs old. I have no idea of how many board ft of lumber I have planned with this machine, but a whole bunch since I primarily use rough sawn lumber on the majority of my projects. Heaven forbid, if it bit the dust tomorrow, I would replace it with another 15" Jet

Clint deal
12-12-2004, 7:33 PM
I have a North State 15" planer. When I bought mine it was sitting in between a Delta and a Jet at the store. Except for the motor sizes and paint I could'nt tell a difference between them. All had the same casting flash markings on them. I wonder if the YorkCraft is the same way? Mine is a 3hp and has never backed down from a fight. I guess it's like Grizzly. Same factory, different specs.

Clint

Bruce Page
12-12-2004, 7:41 PM
Gale, I have the 15” PM and have been happy with it. If I were buying today, I’d take a hard look at the new PM with the cast iron infeed/outfeed tables and digital height adjustment readout.