PDA

View Full Version : Nick Cook Demo last night...

Tim Rinehart
08-18-2010, 8:59 AM
Our Southern Piedmont Woodturners group had the good fortune (rr, perhaps enough available $) to host Nick Cook last night. Hoorah!! Nick is a treat.

He kicked things off with the many virtues and advantages of mastering the skew, then with lightning like precision, used the skew to rough out a 2x2 piece of stock about 16" long...and within minutes, had coves, a handle and all the features of a garden dibble. He finished and parted both ends without stopping the lathe. This is a true production turner with panache!

He went on to make several other items, and demo'd different tools in process. He make a baby rattle, a rather unique salt shaker (salt comes out bottom of shaker...), coffee scoop, tea light candle holder, and I suspect at least a couple other items I missed because I happened to turn my head for a few seconds.

Nice casual style, amusing references to the rich history he's had with the greats in this craft of ours.

Perhaps most interesting to me...is a rumor drop that the next big Powermatic, the 4224, may be released with a sliding headstock, among other changes. Sounds like a winner to me...I hope they do at that. It would be a winner for sure.

David E Keller
08-18-2010, 9:29 AM
I'm ENVIOUS!!!

Pete Jordan
08-18-2010, 9:31 AM
Sounds Great Nick!

I saw him a few years ago and he is amazing. He is also a good teacher and a wonderful guy.