PDA

View Full Version : Another request for help and advice

Don Williams Michigan
08-18-2010, 8:30 AM
Being relatively new to the sign business, I have to ask the the knowledgeable people at the Creek for advice again.

A customer wants some outdoor granite or marble "tree memorials". However, they want a mounting option that will reduce the possibility of vandalism or theft.

Can you please suggest mounting options and a possible source? Are there suppliers that sell mounting stakes for outdoor signs?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Larry Bratton
08-19-2010, 7:22 PM
Explain "Tree Memorial". Meaning that it is to be attached to a tree?

Joe Pelonio
08-19-2010, 8:34 PM
The ones I have done are mounted on the ground in front of the memorial tree. Most were mounted by the customer, but those I have done involved
digging a hole slightly larger than the 12x12 plaque, 6" deep. Then pound in two pieces of rebar spaced apart, tie together with strong wire. Then I made a simple 1x4 box as a form and pour concrete. Butter the back of the tile with mortar and apply to the wet concrete. None has been stolen but then they are in pretty quiet places. Using this method one could drill holes in the corners of the tile with diamond bit and put decorative screws into the wet concrete I suppose, or let it set and then drill larger holes and put epoxy into them to push the screws into.

The mounting stakes made for signs (see Grimco or Allstate) are usually made for standard 18"x24" signs made of lighter materials\ such as corrugated plastic, PVC and Dibond.

Don Williams Michigan
08-22-2010, 10:02 PM
These memorials will be a 6 x 6 or 6 x 8 marble or granite plate that will be attached to a stake of some kind. This is the issue, they want them up 12 to 18 inches off the ground in front of the tree.

Thanks for any advice.

Joe Pelonio
08-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Never seen that done, but here's what I would suggest. Use a stone burr to indent two places on the back of the tile to epoxy on stove bolts, at least 1/4" and nearly long enough to go through a 4x4,

Something like this, and even better do it before engraving in case you break it. http://www.freemansupply.com/KarbideKutzallRota.htm

Then in the field, set a 36" treated 4x4 post 18" deep. Drill holes that match the epoxied bolts, with countersinks on the back of the post. Push thru and add washers and nuts, then fill with exterior wood dough to prevent easy theft. might not hurt to also add a big blob of epoxy or at least construction
adhesive (exterior grade) between the tile back and post before bolting.

I wouldn't go with less than 4x4, or someone could break the tile easily by kicking it on an end.

Mike Null
08-23-2010, 6:50 AM
Joe

I imagine in Michigan they have to set the post 36 inches deep because of the frost line.

Mike Davis NC
08-23-2010, 9:22 AM
How about a 6x6 granite post with the top cut at 45° and the inscription on top?

The granite post could go 3 feet in the ground if needed.