PDA

View Full Version : Any way to replace the guard on a bandsaw?

Matt Logana
08-18-2010, 2:20 AM
I was wondering if there is anyway to replace the guard assembly on a bandsaw with a better one? The one on my delta is constantly sticking, loose, and only covers half of the blade...

I noticed the latter is common on saws this size(14") but since I am right hand dominant I tend to stand on the uncovered side of the blade, which often scares me the h**l when I have to lean under the wheels to catch a piece.

I have tried waxing the guard, applying graphite... WD-40, et cetera... But it sticks when I want to raise it, then free falls when I dont. It also keeps coming unlocked, even though I tighten it to the point the handle is going to snap off....

This thing is causing me nothing but problems... throwing tires, falling guard, sparking motor, missing parts originally, Tech support in India calling me "Ma'am".....

Matt Logana
08-18-2010, 8:01 PM
Bump. Sorry, dont know if anyone has noticed this, since alot of posts came after it, in the same time span...

Jim Andrew
08-19-2010, 12:18 AM
I put a shark guard on my Uni, huge improvement. It has a dust opening, and I rigged a hose for above the table dust collection. Wouldn't do without it. Jim

Jim Andrew
08-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Sorry, saw the Delta, thought it was a table saw. Duhhh

David Christopher
08-19-2010, 9:07 AM
Matt, have you thought selling the saw, and buying a higher quality saw......sometimes its just not worth the trouble to work on somthing that is aggrivating and dangerous

david brum
08-19-2010, 9:51 AM
I feel your pain. My first bandsaw was a Delta 10" which was an unimaginable POS. Luckily, I bought it from Amazon and made them take it back. Is there any way to return your saw? For instance, if you got it from Lowe's, they might work with you.

Chip Lindley
08-19-2010, 11:50 AM
With costly lawsuit judgements still fresh on the minds of manufacturers, a factual letter sent to the maker of your BS may garner good results. Meanwhile, as mentioned, it would not hurt to go back to where you bought the saw and complain, noting the saw's unsafe nature. The manager may gladly refund your purchase price (even if warranty has expired) If the BS is truly a POS, you don't want it!

The Squeaky Wheel Still Gets The Grease! (usually)

Pete Bradley
08-19-2010, 2:51 PM
Have you checked the lock mechanism for missing parts? Take a look at the exploded view for your machine, then unscrew the lock handle all the way and compare. Most use a spring and a plunger behind the lock handle screw. If your machine is supposed to have those and one or both is missing, I could see you having the problems you describe.

Don't ever put your head under the wheel while the machine is running.:eek: Train yourself to cut to the right, use pushsticks, auxiliary outfeed table, whatever it takes.

Matt Logana
08-19-2010, 6:00 PM
Well maybe putting my head under is an overstatement, but I certainly go up to the neck. I have short hair so I am not worried about entanglement.

I may write a brief letter explaining the unsafe nature. I mean the guard most certainly shouldn't randomly drop... and its not like my saw vibrates in excess(see the grizzly vibrationt thread... :D.)

It seems that many saws use that kind of half-guard, except for the Grizzly deluxe and Laguana's.

I mean if the blade ever breaks... its going to shoot right out the side... a very dangerous proposition....

Pete Bradley
08-20-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm not entirely visualizing what you're saying but I can't think of any reason a part of your body should be near the corner above the guide and under the wheel. Some extra guard there might be good as an added measure of safety, but I think 90% of the machines out there have guards that are open to the left of the band so it's hard to say this is a defect.

I'm sure being a leftie makes certain things harder, but I recommend you take a look at your technique and what blocks/sticks you use, and wherever possible work to the right of the band.

When the band breaks it is immediately unpowered so it has limited opportunities to "shoot" with any force. Still exciting though. :D

Matt Logana
08-20-2010, 5:41 PM
I am a righty... I push with my right hand catch with my left... it gives me the most control....